Has anyone found anything better than RS Super pots?

kingsxman

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with RS Guitar works super pots for my volume controls. I was going to order another pair for the R8 I just picked up but I thought I'd ask if anyone who has used RS Superpots has actually found something they liked better. Note: I'm only interested in things that can be bought individually. (I.E I'm not going to spend $200 on a "harness" when all I need are the pots.)

I like the fact that the RS pots tend to make the guitars tone a bit clearer. I attribute that to the higher resistance. But I recently read a complaint that the newer RS pots have been "TOO" bright. And it got me thinking that...this may actually be a correct statement. The last couple I've bought have been a bit bright. So maybe something has changed with how they are made.

FWIW my new 2014 R8's pots aren't as bad as the stock pots on my previous 2013 R8 or 2013 R9. Those really were dead sounding. I don't mind the tone of these...but don't care for the taper. (although even that isn't as bad).

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
If it is too bright the its value is hight then 500K, but IMO there some people make it sound like "too bright" is a bad thing... i mean some times is sounds like they don't know how to use the tone pot at all! let alone understand how to make a pot that has higher value then 500K work for you. DO you remember when linking the bridge pickup directly to the output jack was a thing of WOW..well... no pot in the middle of that connection not that a higher value then 500k actually no resistance value at all, at least thats my understanding.

There is nothing magical about those RS pots, but if you want to buy them separately you can at 16$ plus shipping or you can find other CTS post that some MLP vendors sell that they DO measure up and can give you an specific reading on it... do you have too bright hum buckers..well ask them to find you a 485K pot, audio taper...simple.

Higher value pots work best with vintage wiring style in my experience but people have to work with the tone pots more and more they are there to work for you, for that tone like it is supposed to be.

my two cents.

kingsxman

Reaction score
If it is too bright the its value is hight then 500K, but IMO there some people make it sound like "too bright" is a bad thing... i mean some times is sounds like they don't know how to use the tone pot at all! let alone understand how to make a pot that has higher value then 500K work for you. DO you remember when linking the bridge pickup directly to the output jack was a thing of WOW..well... no pot in the middle of that connection not that a higher value then 500k actually no resistance value at all, at least thats my understanding.

There is nothing magical about those RS pots, but if you want to buy them separately you can at 16$ plus shipping or you can find other CTS post that some MLP vendors sell that they DO measure up and can give you an specific reading on it... do you have too bright hum buckers..well ask them to find you a 485K pot, audio taper...simple.

Higher value pots work best with vintage wiring style in my experience but people have to work with the tone pots more and more they are there to work for you, for that tone like it is supposed to be.

my two cents.
Thanks. Honestly, your not saying anything I already don't know. RS pots are around 550k. Most stock Gibby pots are around upper 400's. One of last ones I took out that didn't sound good were around 470k. (Havent measured the ones on my new R8 as I just got it). I generally like the higher readings because I DO like the brightness. The main reason for the brightness is that I want the neck to be more bell like and less "thick and creamy". I turn my amps treble up and roll back the tone on my bridge to compensate for the overly bright tone.

I always wire up 50's style wiring.

The main reason I like the RS pots is the taper. Far superior than stock. And that's why I'm asking about people who've SPECIFICALLY used RS and then tried other vendors. How does the taper compare? I like a smooth taper and not all on and all off within a small twist.

As for $16 a pop. Yeah they're expensive and as an electronics guy I realize I'm overpaying for a $3 pot. But lets get real: if we're spending THOUSANDS on these damn guitars...we shouldn't quibble over a pot that's $16 instead of $10.

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
Thanks. Honestly, your not saying anything I already don't know. RS pots are around 550k. Most stock Gibby pots are around upper 400's. One of last ones I took out that didn't sound good were around 470k. (Havent measured the ones on my new R8 as I just got it). I generally like the higher readings because I DO like the brightness. The main reason for the brightness is that I want the neck to be more bell like and less "thick and creamy". I turn my amps treble up and roll back the tone on my bridge to compensate for the overly bright tone.

I always wire up 50's style wiring.

The main reason I like the RS pots is the taper. Far superior than stock. And that's why I'm asking about people who've SPECIFICALLY used RS and then tried other vendors. How does the taper compare? I like a smooth taper and not all on and all off within a small twist.

As for $16 a pop. Yeah they're expensive and as an electronics guy I realize I'm overpaying for a $3 pot. But lets get real: if we're spending THOUSANDS on these damn guitars...we shouldn't quibble over a pot that's $16 instead of $10.
Yep, i bought one of those pots about 2 years ago i think and honestly didn't sound anything different then a 11$ CTS audio taper pot, the roll down of the volume sounded the same to me so i didn't bother to buy more from them. That pot ended up on a start that i modded with two volumes and a tone knob in a S/S/H configuration.

The ones i have not tried yet are the BURNS pots.

mokume

Reaction score
Thanks Kingsxman, you've just sold me on the RS'ers.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
I prefer the MSSC stuff. Not because it's better than RS, but because it's significantly cheaper and on par quality wise

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer the MSSC stuff. Not because it's better than RS, but because it's significantly cheaper and on par quality wise
Thanks!

Just for the purpose of comparison, the RS pots are a hybrid between linear and audio, whereas the pots I use are true audio taper so they can be used in both volume and tone positions.

Faceman

Reaction score
I've used most of the stuff out there - including RS harnesses - and I just installed my third MSSC harness. I keep going back to MSSC for the great taper on the pots and for the service.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone ever used those highly overpriced Alessandro Pots?

Not suggesting they are worth the sky high price of $50 :)shock: :wow:) just wondering if anyone has ever used them & compared them to the others. :)

:cheers:

Deus Vult

Reaction score
Just out of interest has anyone ever used those highly overpriced Alessandro Pots?

Not suggesting they are worth the sky high price of $50 :)shock: :wow:) just wondering if anyone has ever used them & compared them to the others. :)

I'm sure anyone who paid $50 for a pot will tell you how awesome they are

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Just for the purpose of comparison, the RS pots are a hybrid between linear and audio, whereas the pots I use are true audio taper so they can be used in both volume and tone positions.
Is there a graph of this?

I find the RS pots good for the end leap in volume. Of course the Audio taper is more desirable for expression.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that. I've used them all.

MSSC all the way. I like retrospecs stuff too, but I think MSSC has them beat.

Bourns pots? Junk imho....

RAG7890

Reaction score
I'm sure anyone who paid $50 for a pot will tell you how awesome they are
I know, I know Fenn but I live in hope that a few may actually be objective & say yes I tried them & they were OK but not better, not worse etc. Or if they were better describe, why they were better.

But you are right, brand, status, price etc. usually clouds people's opinions.............not me though, I am just interested.

If I had to buy this stuff now I'd probably go to one of three options Martin Six String, Jonesy Blues or Crazy Parts..................probably, but I'd do my homework first for what I need to get done.

Truth be told I have only ever bought one harness (Vintage '53 for a project that ended up costing me less than a Boutique Harness) because all my custom built Guitars come loaded with good parts to start with. :)

The only other Harness was a Jonesy Blues Harness that a buyer sent to me with Sheptone PU's to install in the Lester he bought from me.................it was a great harness IMHO............the new Harness & PU's worked out great. Other Guitars I own have Martin Six String parts & they also work great. :thumb:

We are spoiled for choice. :)

Jakeislove

Reaction score
I installed the RS pots and feel they're a good value.

The overbuilt look of the Alessandro pots really speaks to my inner nerd, LOL! I don't know how they compare to RS, Jonesy, MSSC, and others in terms of taper and so on.

jamman

Reaction score
I've been pretty happy with RS Guitar works super pots for my volume controls. I was going to order another pair for the R8 I just picked up but I thought I'd ask if anyone who has used RS Superpots has actually found something they liked better. Note: I'm only interested in things that can be bought individually. (I.E I'm not going to spend $200 on a "harness" when all I need are the pots.)

I like the fact that the RS pots tend to make the guitars tone a bit clearer. I attribute that to the higher resistance. But I recently read a complaint that the newer RS pots have been "TOO" bright. And it got me thinking that...this may actually be a correct statement. The last couple I've bought have been a bit bright. So maybe something has changed with how they are made.

FWIW my new 2014 R8's pots aren't as bad as the stock pots on my previous 2013 R8 or 2013 R9. Those really were dead sounding. I don't mind the tone of these...but don't care for the taper. (although even that isn't as bad).
I don't use the RS Super pots any longer (for new harnesses I make) , I started moving away from liking them in 2010 (TO BRIGHT for my tastes).

Depending on your guitar and it's Properties , A lower Ohmed pot will give you choice as to use them flat out open or by using your volume control . I find many times i want to use mine flat out open . Controling brightness with the tone pot has it's use, at times , but not always .

Then the question of useable taper comes into play . Many here like that "bump" that most stock pots get between 8-10 . But that's really sign of a not to good pot .
I've tried many different pots and the 1's i've found best for what I like are from Crazy Parts /TVT pots . I've heard Dr. Vintage are very good too, along with Bourns and a few others . But than you start getting into bigger $$$'s.

ddh101

Reaction score
MSSC has a great reputation but I haven't tried them yet. I've had good luck with RS and Art of Tone products. I didn't think either was out of bounds on price for the quality products they offered.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard Dr. Vintage are very good too, along with Bourns and a few others . But than you start getting into bigger $$$'s.
I forgot about Dr. Vintage. I've never tried Rick's harnesses but I'm sure they are very nice. Very pricey too, like you mentioned.

kingsxman

Reaction score
I forgot about Dr. Vintage. I've never tried Rick's harnesses but I'm sure they are very nice. Very pricey too, like you mentioned.
I don't think Dr. Vintage sells stuff individually though. Only in expensive harnesses. I was a bench tech and can solder with the best of them so I don't need a harness.

Latest Threads