Has anyone ever opened a Nickel Covered Mojotone 59 Clone?

amgomez

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a set of Mojotone 59 clones. I love the bridge, but felt the neck was way too bass heavy. I was going to mail it back to Mojotone to have it looked at. It is abnormally bassy. Anyhow, I think I’m probably just going to keep it because I don’t want to go through a hassle.. worst case scenario, I’ll reinstall my burstbucker on the neck. Yesterday, I removed the nickel cover because I wanted to put different ones on, since the Mojotone versions look more chrome than nickel. Once I pulled them off, there was green masking tape covering the unadjustable pole pieces.. which I found odd. Why would someone put tape on one of the bobbins. Wouldn’t that slightly deaden frequencies? I mean, tape and a cover? I’m hoping that’s the issue with the pickup.

jbash

Reaction score
So, I recently bought a set of Mojotone 59 clones. I love the bridge, but felt the neck was way too bass heavy. I was going to mail it back to Mojotone to have it looked at. It is abnormally bassy. Anyhow, I think I’m probably just going to keep it because I don’t want to go through a hassle.. worst case scenario, I’ll reinstall my burstbucker on the neck. Yesterday, I removed the nickel cover because I wanted to put different ones on, since the Mojotone versions look more chrome than nickel. Once I pulled them off, there was green masking tape covering the unadjustable pole pieces.. which I found odd. Why would someone put tape on one of the bobbins. Wouldn’t that slightly deaden frequencies? I mean, tape and a cover? I’m hoping that’s the issue with the pickup.
Helps with any vibration that would cause feedback.

Doesn't affect tone.

If it's bassy, try another magnet- A3 would be a good first try.

amgomez

Reaction score
What else could cause such overwhelming bass? They sound as if the tone is rolled off. When your roll off the tone, it gets obviously bassier. Haha. I might send it in after all. I was trying to find a 1meg pot, long brass shaft, but I can’t seem to find one. Is changing the magnet something that can be done at home?

MATTM

MSSCGuitarWiring.com
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What else could cause such overwhelming bass? They sound as if the tone is rolled off. When your roll off the tone, it gets obviously bassier. Haha. I might send it in after all. I was trying to find a 1meg pot, long brass shaft, but I can’t seem to find one. Is changing the magnet something that can be done at home?
Post a pic of the electronics cavity. Also, have you measured the NV & NT pots for resistance?

Antigua

Reaction score
Try it without the cover, check to see if thats causing the bass heavy sound. Eddy current high end roll off can have that effect.

amgomez

Reaction score
Try it without the cover, check to see if thats causing the bass heavy sound. Eddy current high end roll off can have that effect.
I tried that, and it was the same. Also, I’ve tried changing pots. Tried one at 480k, and one at 520k. Didn’t change much other than more output. At least to my ears. I tried moving the pole pieces. I changed the capacitors, even though I knew it wouldn’t make any sense. It’s definitely the pickup. Maybe, that’s what it’s suppose to sound like? Haha. I think I’ll just send it in.

Pappy35

Reaction score
I'm very interested in this topic. I have the same issue (overly bassy neck no matter what) and am looking for a fix. In my case I have tried:
  • 570k Ohm VIP neck pot
  • 525k Ohm CTS neck pot
  • Pearly Gates Pups
  • Seth Lover Pups
  • SD Jazz neck pup
  • OEM Gibson 59 Tribute pup
  • Fiddling with pickup heights and pole piece depths
  • Different amp
  • Several different caps (though with the tone on 10, this shouldn't make a difference...I think)
My next play was to try a SD Whole Lotta Humbucker for its A5 magnet but this all strikes me as odd. I don't really understand why this guitar is so bassy. When I put those same pickups in my Epi LP and don't have the same issue which has me thinking there's some electrical gremlin in the Gibson. Before I go and buy a another pickup that likely won't work either given the track record.

amgomez

Reaction score
I'm very interested in this topic. I have the same issue (overly bassy neck no matter what) and am looking for a fix. In my case I have tried:
  • 570k Ohm VIP neck pot
  • 525k Ohm CTS neck pot
  • Pearly Gates Pups
  • Seth Lover Pups
  • SD Jazz neck pup
  • Different amp
  • Several different caps (though with the tone on 10, this shouldn't make a difference...I think)
My next play was to try a SD Whole Lotta Humbucker for its A5 magnet but this all strikes me as odd. I don't really understand why this guitar is so bassy. When I put those same pickups in my Epi LP and don't have the same issue which has me thinking there's some electrical gremlin in the Gibson. Before I go and buy a another pickup that likely won't work either given the track record.
I’m thinking it’s just your guitar. I didn’t have that issue with my burstbucker. It was just the Mojotone pickup. Once I replaced the cover and removed the tape on the bobbin, it became a lot brighter. Still bassy, but much better.

try a burstbucker 1 or 2. I only changed it because I don’t like having mismatched pickups.

Antigua

Reaction score
  • 570k Ohm VIP neck pot
  • 525k Ohm CTS neck pot
  • Pearly Gates Pups
  • Seth Lover Pups
  • SD Jazz neck pup
  • Different amp
Try a cap in series with the neck pickup. That will work for certain, its just a question of what cap value you prefer, lower cap values remove more low end. .047 or .022 are good starting points.

Pappy35

Reaction score
Try a cap in series with the neck pickup. That will work for certain, its just a question of what cap value you prefer, lower cap values remove more low end. .047 or .022 are good starting points.
So just a cap between the switch output and pickup input? I like that sound (pun intended) of that. I have a 22 or five just sitting around too...

Edit: While I think I'm reasonably intelligent, AC circuits (yes, even ultra simple ones like these) are simply beyond my ability to comprehend.

Last edited:

Antigua

Reaction score
So just a cap between the switch output and pickup input? I like that sound (pun intended) of that. I have a 22 or five just sitting around too...

Edit: While I think I'm reasonably intelligent, AC circuits (yes, even ultra simple ones like these) are simply beyond my ability to comprehend.
Yeah. To direct current, a cap looks like an open circuit, but as alternating current frequency increases, caps look increasing closed, as the electrons are able to continuously collect and release at the cap's plates. Since the cap is increasingly open with increasing frequency, it blocks out bass in series (and grounds out treble in parallel).

Some forums threads claim the Seymour Duncan Invader neck model has a .056 cap in series for exactly this reason. They could have probably under-wound the neck Invader like any other "neck" humbucker, but I suspect those huge screws caused above average eddy current attenuation, so they must have had to deliberately block low end in order to get the bass under control.

freefrog

Reaction score
So just a cap between the switch output and pickup input?
If you try this: any tone pot would better be mounted BEFORE the cap. In other words, you must have pickup(s)> volume & tone controls > cap > output.

If the cap comes first, the tone pot will behave a bit like a second volume control.

it's also useful to think twice about the value of the cap: with a 4.7nF one, it should lower the low E of something like 6dB, recalling vaguely the sound of a Rickenbacker (whose designers liked series caps of this values in some of their guitars). With a too large cap, conversely, it might have a too subtle effect. IME and IMHO,10nF or 6,8nF appear as a good starting point (for -2dB or -4dB on the low E, respectively). For the record, standard tone caps = 22nF or 47nF. I'm talking about lower capacitive values.

FWIW : a mere attempt to help.

EDIT - And masking tape on slugs under a cover is current. I even use teflon plumber tape in pickups to prevent feedback (LOL).

Last edited:

Antigua

Reaction score
The exact cap value doesn't need to be determined before hand. You can buy a box of assorted caps and alligator clips on Amazon for dirt cheap, audition a lot of different values until you find the one you like the best, and then you just solder it in permanently. The .056 used in the Invader is probably complimentary to that particular pickup, but if you have a bass heavy "PAF" clone of lower inductance, some other value might work better.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Putting tape on the slugs is very common practice when putting covers on. It’s generally used as a barrier for the silicone used to hold the covers down and prevent microphonics.

Don't sweat it, it won’t affect the tone and isn’t causing the bassiness.

Latest Threads