Has Anyone Cleaned/Washed Their Case?

ajm558

Reaction score
I've used coffee grounds to great effect. Baking soda does ok, but really needs vinegar to quickly activate the smell removal - which means acid in the case...so don't use vinegar. Otherwise the box of baking soda works ok for mild smells.

Haven't used charcoal, but if you went to the pet store, they are guaranteed to have it. charcoal is heavily used in fish tank filters. you could even buy a premade filter cartridge for $3-5 US.

Sunshine and fresh air? Tried it. Meh.

Meatwad

Reaction score
Put it in your car (or any confined space) with an ozone machine (which you can rent).
Yup.

When I worked in hotel maintenance, we'd put one of those in a room where there was heavy smoke or cooking odors.
Next day - no more smoke/food smell.

Easy peasy.

dasherf17

Reaction score
Probably glue......

I've gotten a coffee filter, small zip tie, put some fresh coffee grounds in filter, fold it up and neck it with the zip tie and toss in case for a couple days... Then do it again..... Coffee is good about sucking up odors... I have a couple of the square charcoal 'pillows' in my car.... They'd work. They are a few inches square and a couple inches thick... Recharge by leaving on the dash in full sun for a few hours.... They suck up odors.... Bought mine off amazon pretty cheap....

Or as above, leave it in open outside for a while.... Coffee grounds works for me. Might take a few days.... I like the hint of coffee anyway....

Fabreze is used a lot by folks and I have but prefer coffee grounds.... Gonna try the charcoal pillow in one to see how well it sucks up what little smell is there in one if there is an odor in any of mine....

On amazon, search for: charcoal odor absorber
Depending on where you live (colder climate, right now) on the porch is effective and won't run a risk of being stolen (in the big city, here...)....just sayin'...espresso for coffee, too...

Lester

Reaction score
I don't know why the case companies (SKL for sure) can't find another glue for this that doesn't smell.

I pull the lining out and peeled all their glue off (comes off easy on a new case). Then I reinstalled using clear silicone. Smell gone.

Robert Corrington

Reaction score
A few years back I bought a guitar with a case that smelled like a bar: old cigarettes, stale beer, etc. It was disgusting.

I covered the interior with baking soda and left the open case on my front porch for a week. Baking soda, fresh air, and sunshit did wonders. It got out all of the smells. The hard part was vacuuming out all of the baking soda. It took a while, but it worked well.

Regarding Febreze… The active ingredient in Febreze is beta-cyclodextrin, a carbohydrate. The cyclodextrin molecule resembles a doughnut. When you spray Febreze, the water in the product partially dissolves the odor, allowing it to form a complex inside the "hole" of the cyclodextrin doughnut shape. The stink molecule is still there, but it can't bind to your odor receptors, so you can't smell it.

As Febreze dries, more and more of the odor molecules bind to the cyclodextrin, lowering the concentration of the molecules in the air and eliminating the odor. If water is added once again, the odor molecules are released, allowing them to be washed away and truly removed.

So, it doesn’t actually “remove” the smell, as much as it “masks” the smell. Plus, I have no idea what cyclodextrin does to a polyurethane clear coat over time. Personally, I wouldn’t spray the inside of my guitar case with Febreze.

rfrizz

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys - I'll start with airing it outside.

And no, its not that sweet vanilla new guitar smell - its more like that + sweat + mold. It kinda smells like rancid milk
Maybe someone spilled milk or ice cream or a White Russian in it. If it smells like mold, it would suck if that odor got in the guitar. Maybe it just got wet and it took a long time to dry.

What kind of case is this? There are ~$50 hardshell cases which will do the job unless you are a gigging guitarist.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
i do have a couple of extra gibson cases but they have a red and blue interior but this particular guitar is white and its case is a gibson w/ white interior. The previous white guitar I had was stained red from what I presume was sweat combined with its non-oem red interior case.

As much as possible, I like to keep guitars with their original case.

ICR

Reaction score
Carpet cleaner. I have also used "Smells be Gone"
IMG_0352.JPG

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
My better half bugged me about all my cases stinking the closets. Best so far...two cups of baking soda in the case, close it, and shake it and ignore them for several weeks. Open the case and dump the powder in the yard. A vacuum cleaner picks up the dust. For cases I don't use...just leave the baking soda in them. I seems baking soda is safe on nitrocellulose Gibsons.

Another trick is to place a 1 or 2 tbs Downy Un Stoppable in an clean sock and place it in the case compartment. Makes the case and closet smell like fresh clothes. But it also makes the guitars overly fragrant. Just to be cautious, air out the cases. I've had it in cases with a nitro guitar for over a year and I haven't see any problem. I removed some from case since it's too perfume smelling.

I also just bought some Benzoin essential oil that smell like the Gibson vanilla; but haven't tried it yet... maybe try a drop on in the case compartment not touching the guitar. I sniffed this stuff... smells like vanilla for cooking. Old farts like me have diminished sense of smell and I don't remember what the smell of a new Gibson. Guess it's time to get another one...ha ha ha.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I knew a bass player who kept his smokes in his case.
Sometimes a half smoke.

You could smell it half way across the room when he opened that crypt.
Yeah, I recently had a client that dropped off a guitar....over the next few days every time I went into my shop I though "holy shit, something reeks in here" turned out it was cigarette smoke (and probably decades of it....50s Gibson) in the case and on the guitar

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
Carpet cleaner. I have also used "Smells be Gone"
View attachment 507099
I wonder if this could have negative effects on the guitar later on?

I have a white fuzzy Gibson case for a guitar I just bought. Very dirty inside and need to clean it. I was thinking of using a hand-held steam cleaner, but not sure of there's something easier.

Thoughts?

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm airing out the case on the 93 alpine white studio i just bought.... it's not offensive but it smells like a really old ladies perfume or potpourri... Y'all know that smelll i'm sure... Like when you go in an old ladies house, Its like a heavy flowery scent..... I think they do it to cover up their old lady farts :hmm:

Latest Threads