harsh playback through focus rite 2i2

M@nChild

Banned
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a good holiday!

With some time off, i got off my lazy @ss and re connected my gen 1 focus rite. Ive only ever set up mics with it to record guiitar amps.

I recently acquired the PRS amp plug ins and wanted to try them out. i dont have Monitors so i use the headphone out of my focusrite with a set of
audio technica ATHM50x.

So i set everything up with Reaper last night and gave it a go, what i found was a severe harshness anytime i used a distorted tone. It wasnt over the top ridiculous but enough to make it unpleasant after a 10-15 mins.

I haven't used the focus rite in a couple years and its been collecting dust. Could the unit it self be the problem? do i need a new interface? Is it the headphones? they are brand new and worked perfectly fine when i recorded and tracked amps last use, and have been sitting dormant since.

I would really like to get this figured out so i can get some better plug ins and have some fun late at night when being quiet is a must.

tzd

Reaction score
I don't know anything about computer plugins, but... is cabinet impulse response active?

filtersweep

Reaction score
Been using this stuff for decades. It generally works, or it doesn’t.

Are you using instrument level input?

KP11520

Reaction score
No red anywhere throughout the signal chain whether analog or digital. Especially Digital.

Levels all have to be below 100% always. Even peaks.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Second on the IR cabinet response. The Amp sims I'm used to all are without cab sims so they sound horrible straight through.

M@nChild

Banned
Reaction score
ive already come here for help so no need to pretend, i have no idea what you mean by IR cabinet response.

this is what found on the product page that references that.

8 speaker cabinet IRs with automatic IR browser

prs amp plug-in product page

tzd

Reaction score
Take a look at this video. The cabinet that comes after the amp is the Impulse Response.

rxbandit

Reaction score
Problem definitely lies in the PRS plugin and not the Focusrite interface.

Latest Threads