Hardware: Gibson vs Epiphone

jon_c

Reaction score
I recently ordered Gibson plastic hardware for my Epiphone, mainly because I don't like the look of the unbevelled Gibson scratchplate (vain, I know, but oh well:D). Had to order from different places as some items were out of stock, so the pickup rings aren't here yet but got the scratchplate and toggle ring today.

I'm not sure if the Epiphone hardware is classed as cream but heres a comparison between Epiphone 'cream' and Gibson cream for anyone interested.
The gibson matches the binding on my honeyburst quite well (more vanity:cool:)

picture2pc5.jpg

jkinnison90

Reaction score
Sweet. Post some pictures of your guitar when she's finished.

jon_c

Reaction score
Will do:thumb:

Probably won't be til the end of the week though as I've also got some nickel hardware on order which should hopefully be here on Thursday or Friday. So I'll do it all in 1 go and chuck on a new set of strings.

Muck Fe

Reaction score
Yeah, that's one thing that gets me with Epis, I mean how hard is it to match plastic colours. OTOH, it could be deliberate!!!

Rick.

:D

jon_c

Reaction score
Yeah, that's one thing that gets me with Epis, I mean how hard is it to match plastic colours. OTOH, it could be deliberate!!!

Rick.

:D

To be honest I've never had any experience with Gibsons. I've seen, probably about 10 'in the flesh' so to speak but have never played one. I never really took much notice of the hardware colour but in photos it does look whiter. So when these parts turned up, I was like 'what the f...' way more pinky than I had expected but they look much better on the guitar.

Muck Fe

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm like you, haven't handled many Gibsons, but from the pics I've seen here on MLP, the plastics seem to be a better match than Epis.

Do the holes match up? Looks okay in the pic. Thought Epi was metric and Gibson imperial.

Rick.

lp_junkie

Reaction score
the darker Gibson plastic looks good on the guitar.

jon_c

Reaction score
The holes look like they line up but the pickup ring cutouts are different due to the Gibson ones being a tad smaller. Apart from that, the overall dimension is almost identical but the Gibson (imo) looks smaller, probably due to having no bevel.

Christmas

Reaction score
I never really took much notice of the hardware colour but in photos it does look whiter. So when these parts turned up, I was like 'what the f...' way more pinky than I had expected but they look much better on the guitar.

That's the problem with Gibson plastic in general...it's almost pink or just way too dark. It's especially bad with Gibson USA. This is part of the reason my so many Les Paul owners change out their plastic for brands like Fatboy, DMC, Vintage Clone, etc. It's expensive stuff, but usually much more "historically accurate." Personally, I'm in the process of changing out all of my Epi plastic for Allparts...IMO the color is better than Gibson and it's cheaper as well.

For example, take a look at BluesZep's excellent looking Allparts plastic in this thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epi...-lp-standard-plastic-hardware-customized.html

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
BluesZep has a great looking Les Paul - flat out - I love everything about it! And, he plays it very well to boot.

Latest Threads