Hardware Comparision Thread

kracdown

Premium Member
Reaction score
Switch tips:

Historic - Historic - Historic - Wizz - MSSC - MSSC - MSSC - Montreux (flat top)

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never seen a real pair of naked white PAFs.

But I think that Jon of Throbak makes the best products as far as tone and authenticity in his pick ups. Here's a shot of my R9 with a set of Throbak 101 LTD.

Wow! Nice top!!

Bedoubleyou

Reaction score
Recieved some DMC Parts today so I thought I might post some pics here....

1 = DMC Aged
2 = 2013 Historic
3 = Crazy Parts (Art of Aging)
4 = 1995 Gibson USA (LP CCP)
5 = 2003 Gibson USA (SG)

(Yep, the one without the "Gibson Custom" Logo is the Historic)

alexvdl

Reaction score
Montreux retrovibe pickup covers home aged, Montreux time machine bonnet knobs, Gil Yaron rings, home made pickguard.

alexvdl

Reaction score
Close-up of the Montreux Time Machine bonnet knobs.

Zakmichael

Reaction score
2007 R9 with Bonamassa pickups, wizz rings, poker chip, switchtip, mojoaxe guard, tonepros studs, RS guitarworks tailpiece and DJ inlays. It also has Uncle Lou's premium tips that are not pictured.

mackan

Reaction score
Hello, can someone please help me find the "right" plastic im looking for. I don't know so much about the different brands.

I have an Les Paul Standard 2013 Gold Top, currently with black parts. Is it even possible to install the historical pickup rings to the Standard?

I will choose the MojoAxe PGUSA pickguard because of the pickup spacing and colour. Now i need some nice pickup rings.. I like the look when the rings are slightly brighter than the pickguard.

I saw the Throbak rings combined with the Mojoaxe, and that looked really good! Until i saw the price.. But i will still consider those rings!

But if anyone could recommend me some cheaper rings that would be great!

Thanks.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
Hello, can someone please help me find the "right" plastic im looking for. I don't know so much about the different brands.

I have an Les Paul Standard 2013 Gold Top, currently with black parts. Is it even possible to install the historical pickup rings to the Standard?

I will choose the MojoAxe PGUSA pickguard because of the pickup spacing and colour. Now i need some nice pickup rings.. I like the look when the rings are slightly brighter than the pickguard.

I saw the Throbak rings combined with the Mojoaxe, and that looked really good! Until i saw the price.. But i will still consider those rings!

But if anyone could recommend me some cheaper rings that would be great!

Thanks.
You might check out Wizz rings.

.:: Wizz pickups ::.

To answer your question, the Historic Rings should fit your USA guitar, but you might not like the color as much as some of the more expensive aftermarket ones.

mackan

Reaction score
You might check out Wizz rings.

.:: Wizz pickups ::.

To answer your question, the Historic Rings should fit your USA guitar, but you might not like the color as much as some of the more expensive aftermarket ones.
Ok, very nice rings.

I have a strange feeling that if I don't get the Throbaks, i will always think about how the guitar would look if i had them.. Better save some more money and grab a pair of those right away.

I really like the "Will not break guarantee" part.. I wonder if the same guarantee covers if i use them on my Standard. On the page it says that the rings are for LP Custom guitars.

Well, better e-mail Jon when it's time to buy!

ThroBak

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, very nice rings.

I have a strange feeling that if I don't get the Throbaks, i will always think about how the guitar would look if i had them.. Better save some more money and grab a pair of those right away.

I really like the "Will not break guarantee" part.. I wonder if the same guarantee covers if i use them on my Standard. On the page it says that the rings are for LP Custom guitars.

Well, better e-mail Jon when it's time to buy!
The ThroBak no break guarantee applies to Standards as well.

Jon

mackan

Reaction score
The ThroBak no break guarantee applies to Standards as well.

Jon
Ok, thank you!

Wonder which colour of the rings would match the Mojoaxe guard best..
I like when the rings are a little brighter than the pickguard. Hoping to place an order next week!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Reaction score
I found the switch tip comparison above to be so useful, that I'm going to throw my collection into the mix...

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the RS Guitarworks aged bonnet knobs? The price is right....