Hard to Get a New Standard '60s Unburst With a Nice Top

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah thanks, I actually checked out Gibson's website to look at online resellers and found American Musical Supply, and found one with a top that looks real good to me! I was a little hesitant because of how the unburst colors appear in their photos on their website. Interestingly most of their serials are from '19, probably because of that. I'm very excited, should be here Wednesday!

that is badass
ivd only heard great things about ams...

excited for you...awesomely cool finish

also, @Ripgut ....did I miss ur ngd...that thing is bananas awesome

-chris

Ripgut

Reaction score
@Christosterone thx man, here it is...bunch of info on the mods I made to her in the thread as well...

dimeified

Reaction score
Well the new guitar is here, the top looks incredible, and the guitar plays incredible but there are some finish flaws. I've been seeing some QC threads on here with guys sending guitars back because some of the flaws were major. Anyway, here she is. Would these flaws bother you on an otherwise awesome looking/playing guitar?
The second pic is a dimple in the binding, perhaps the finish chipped off of it or something.
The third picture shows the paint lines on the bass side of the neck near the heel, it looks kinda sloppy.
The fourth pic shows the scraping job under the finish, it's not straight thru and thru, it sort of curves at one point.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 20200309_190615.jpg
    20200309_190615.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200309_190630.jpg
    20200309_190630.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 20200309_190637.jpg
    20200309_190637.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200309_190646.jpg
    20200309_190646.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 127

pondcaster

Reaction score
Congrats on the gorgeous unburst! I really love seeing all these new Originals being posted.

If it plays incredible and it looks incredible, no way I'd let that out of my hands unless the weight was 10lb+... But that's just me. Now if that dimple in the binding is so noticeable that you feel it when you're playing... May think of swapping for another?

dimeified

Reaction score
Thanks, I really love it! The dimple is about 2mm from the nut, there's no way my hand would ever come in contact with it while playing. The other flaws do not affect playability either. I don't think I'd send it back, considering how common finish flaws are on these things. Plus, I took the pickguard off, so now I have an exposed screw hole below the neck that I'm sure is far more noticeable than a couple of flaws in hand scraped binding.

Last edited:

anorton

Reaction score
Congratulations! That’s a beauty, and I wouldn’t have any problems with keeping that guitar. Of course, it’s your choice. My Lesters could have similar flaws, but I don’t ever look too closely.

dimeified

Reaction score
Well, I decided this one is going back. Here is the underside of the neck. C'mon Gibson, lol! Whoever scraped this guitar must have had the shakes.

Attachments

• lp.jpeg
    lp.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 119

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Well, I decided this one is going back. Here is the underside of the neck. C'mon Gibson, lol! Whoever scraped this guitar must have had the shakes.

Back to the original plan?

I’m betting the reason you were able to find a pretty decent top in old/existing stock is because of those issues. If I were in your shoes I’d go back to the drawing board with the lesson you just learned and a new found patience.

To me and most other blue collar working class people a Gibson LP Standard is a worthy lifetime guitar acquisition achievement. I think it’s worth doing a little extra homework to get one that you’ll be thrilled with for years to come.

Take your time and enjoy a little window shopping until you can get first crack at a new batch. It’s a fun adventure and you’ll be a lot happier with what you get.

Good luck :)

dimeified

Reaction score
Unfortunately when looking at this guitar on the website, the flaws were difficult/impossible to spot. The bottom side of the neck is never shown on AMS either which to me was the worst of it, and triggered the return. I don't fault AMS, they took it back without any hassle. As far as the next one, yes, I am going to wait. After 20 years of wanting to buy a Standard I am finally able to, so I'm going to make sure there are no compromises. I'm actually surprised my local GC doesn't have 'em in the store. I would have to order it blind and either get it delivered to my home or pick it up in store. WAY too risky, I want to look at the exact guitar I'm getting.

dimeified

Reaction score
Yeah. I was surprised. Op went to the hassle of starting a thread about fancy flame tops and then settled for that one?
I suppose the pictures didn't convey it but the flame was very nice in person with even flame lines. Everything I've seen from places like sweetwater right now consist of strange looking tops. Different strokes.

Overture

Reaction score
Most of the Unbursts i've seen on here have all had great tops. Mine's pretty good, not quite as nice as some of the ones in here but not plain either. Sucks you had all those issues with that one, Mine is flawless except for a small hairline crack in the nut which I would have replaced anyway.

Here's mine

Paul.jpg

dimeified

Reaction score
So the guitar is relisted at AMS, they didn't send it back to Gibson. I wonder if I'm the first person to send it back.

SDMFVan

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, Zzounds and American Musical Supply are pulling from the same stock so if one site has a specific guitar you like the other does as well.

Latest Threads