Happy to announce retirement.....

scrumm21

Reaction score
Belatedly.........

After almost 42 years in the Collision Repair biz I Retired on Sept 11th :cheers:

'79 - '89 full time my Dads body shop (I sprayed my 1st coat of primer when i was 14 in '73)
'89 - '01 State Farm as collision estimator ( spending most days At body shops )
'01 - Oct '18 Front office\Prod Mgr Bluegrass Autobody Inc (shop sold in 2018 and 2 of us out of 26 were not retained...$$ lol)
March '19 - Sept 20 - Fortune Collision (which became Caliber Collision in Aug '20)

After Fortune was bought by Caliber in Aug it only took a short time to realize it was time. Literally had an epiphany on a Wed night and told Mgr the next day I was retiring. He asked if I could stay another week, I said sure. Regional mgr shows up next day and advised me that Calibers policy is to send employee home as soon as they type out formal letter, which I did. Regional mgr said that since I agreed to stay another week they were going to Pay me for that week even tho I was being sent home right then. It was Great !

I'm not 65 yet, but I was in a position to make it happen and so glad i did.

* All 3 grandkids in town ( 8, 6, and 4 )
* More time to practice guitar ( i Think i'm getting better ...and just purchased 1st audio interface and a sm57
* Going thru Boxes of photos ( gawd, how much I spent on film and developing when all 3 kids were in sports etc in the 90's)
* Transferring old video tapes, dating back to '85, to computer, editing, and burning to disk
* Son #2, whose issues w\ptsd have been chronicled here, is doing much better and has found a great outlet in golf and is inspiring me to get back playing after a 15 yr hiatus
* More time to hang out here and be corrupted...enlightened...whatever

I still find myself sitting at a stop light, seeing another car with body damage, thinking of the issues that would prob arise to prevent it from being a smooth easy repair LOL
........then a big grin pops out on my face .......

I guess I'm a stereotype as I've apparently, sub-conciously, developed a desire to dabble in Ham Radio ( bought pair of handhelds a while back )
geez.....
this means I'll prob resurrect the model RR ....I did tell the GF that if I do rebuild it will be a small shelf PTP layout ( you may recall post of my old layout ( at former home I Just Sold last month ) which at one time went between 2 rooms thru wall... actually had it going thru laundry room into garage at the other end..... for... about 1 month.... then the ex laid down the law. Final rendition, which was in man cave only, still was 2 levels with an ~60 foot dogbone mainline...main benchwork was Huge with mainline leaving the table to circle the room on small shelf...was fun dismantling )

I Digress......:oops:

Retirement is Great and wish I had gone ahead and pulled the trigger when i was laid off for 3 months last March.
Thanks for watching......

some boring back story.....
WW2 ends and pop is discharged, ( brought back some fine german firearms) and goes to work for his older brother at small 1 to 2 man body shop. My uncle was discharged a month or so earlier and opened the shop.
(Repair shop\garage was built in 1888 as a carriage house to very large home ( which still stands and is a showplace now )
9 months later uncle declares he is "closing" shop and going to be mgr at dealership shop. Pop goes to landlord and re-leases garage and reopens the shop.
Griffin Body shop was in operation from 1946 - 1995 ( Pop was by himself in the shop for 30 of the 49 yrs.. I can still see the pot bellied stove he used up into early '60's to heat it.. the last few yrs he only worked sparingly spending 6 months a year in Lee Co. Fla)
Truly part of the Greatest Gen...His folks were simple tobacco farmers...left the farm for Louisville in mid 30s and learned welding and sheetmetal repair...went off to war and the rest is history

Dad in Newspaper article in '90s about the historic neighborhood and it's rejuvanation..oldest house was around the corner and built in 1830s and another house a block away was built in 1845. In 1984 I bought a house around the corner, built in 1892, and renovated it ( got a grant no less) ...work at shop all day then spend evenings working on house.
Pop in window.jpg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats...retirement is a lot of fun

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

42 years is a nearly staggering amount of time to have spent pursuing a single trade as you did. I'll bet there ain't a trick in the book that you didn't master about 25 years ago! :shock:

I have been retired for 8 years now, and I gotta tell ya: it's like you died and went to heaven, though shit still stinks.

That talk-talk about how you're gonna keel over, die of boredom, be all lonesome, fidgeting around and feeling useless is only true if you let things go that way.

For my own part, I found that having 365 days a year of free time wasn't enough time to deal with all the stuff I had in mind-- especially because I began to play guitar about 2 years before retirement and suddenly found myself playing for as many as 8 or 10 hours a day! :laugh2:

Once I finally got past that phase of things, I figured that I'd *now* have plenty of time to do all the stuff I want to do. But no, instead it worked out like this: I simply added goals and objectives to the in-progress activities I had going... and as usual, there was never enough time to do it all right.

I hope you learn to really love this. I *have* known a few individuals who simply had to work, if only under the table, after retirement. But those guys were workaholics all along anyway.

Lazy bastards like me? Oh man, this last 8 years has been a really wonderful kind of existence.

Hope it's all the same for you.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

meatball

Reaction score
Man , Conratulations are in order sir ,, I received my paperwork last week from S S and I am going to join you the last week in January ,, I can wait to post to my Backstage buddies about what its been the past 38 years . So state tuned ,,, in the meantime ,, lets talk soon about what it feels like . How did you tell your bosses ,family , friends ,etc,...that you were checking out ?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
right on... !his is my second week of being retired,so far its been great.after 30 years of getting up at 3 a.m. i am sleeping in till 5 or 6 and not taking sleeping pills anymore.believe it or not you will find stuff you want to do around the house and the days go by so quickly its unreal.i finally had time to buff the swirls out of the paint on my camaro.ready to take my grandson to a car and plane show saturday.i wish you many happy years of retirement...remember to spend time with family and friends.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
My rat race ended 3 years ago.
I am blessed that I got to retire at 57.
Don’t have enough money for all of my wants, but plenty for all of my needs!
Live in a great state and area.
When I think of my retirement, I know how prisoners feel when paroled.

Enjoy!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Contrats on your reitrement. I retired very early in my career (litigation aattorney) as I was medically advised to do so. That is a very high stress, sh*tty line of work! That was a long time ago, as I am quite old now. But I have never regretted it. Have fun, dude!

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contrats on your reitrement. I retired very early in my career (litigation aattorney) as I was medically advised to do so. That is a very high stress, sh*tty line of work! That was a long time ago, as I am quite old now. But I have never regretted it. Have fun, dude!
It was all the lawyer jokes wasn’t it?! ;)

Thought seriously about being an attorney in my younger years. It does sound like a stressful vocation.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I had to medically retire early and that's not the right way to do it. Depression has been a real battle, but now I'm learning luthier skills and life is looking up.

But, you have your health and children and grandchildren and hopefully will enjoy your time off.

scrumm21

Reaction score
I had to medically retire early and that's not the right way to do it. Depression has been a real battle, but now I'm learning luthier skills and life is looking up.

But, you have your health and children and grandchildren and hopefully will enjoy your time off.
I always enjoy your posts and what you bring to the table

Latest Threads