Happy Thanksgiving

45WinMag

Reaction score
Used to smoke in the BGE, but the last two years have been Char-Broil Big Easy. Very little effort involved. Just doing a 10lb breast this year (fresh from the butcher, not pumped full of water and frozen). Injected a stick of butter into each breast. Wife is working on cornbread-sage dressing (face-timing with my stepdaughter in Texas while they both go through my mom's dressing recipe). Two pies are in the oven right now (one pumpkin and one blueberry). The house smells wonderful and the puppies are going crazy.

scott1970

Reaction score
I didn't have my best Thanksgiving Day, but I've had worse. The tone was set immediately after roll call early this morning when I got dirty from tussling with a homeless man on the floor of a laundromat. Then we ran calls all day long. We had donuts dropped off for us, so there was that. :laugh2:

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't have my best Thanksgiving Day, but I've had worse. The tone was set immediately after roll call early this morning when I got dirty from tussling with a homeless man on the floor of a laundromat. Then we ran calls all day long. We had donuts dropped off for us, so there was that. :laugh2:

Scott, if it helps, just know millions of us had a wonderful carefree Thanksgiving because you're out there making it possible.

scott1970

Reaction score
It's not that big a deal anymore. I'm more than used to it by now. It used to be pretty enjoyable years ago. It was unbelievable how much food would be brought by or dropped off by random people. And calls simply didn't happen, almost like crime and stupidity simply took one day off out of the year. But all that stopped some years ago, and now it's just another day at work no different than any other.

Olds442

Reaction score
Olds, what are those countertops? They look beautiful!
thanks! but that's nothing like your counters, this is Lowes fare circa 1996.

we bought this place in '18, still haven't touched much of the inside yet. it needed everything on the outside, siding, stonework, roof, windows, porch, doors, fence...

did all that and then 2020 happened and things came to a screeching halt. thank goodness we're back to work again!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
thanks! but that's nothing like your counters, this is Lowes fare circa 1996.

we bought this place in '18, still haven't touched much of the inside yet. it needed everything on the outside, siding, stonework, roof, windows, porch, doors, fence...

did all that and then 2020 happened and things came to a screeching halt. thank goodness we're back to work again!

They may be old, but they look very pretty in those pictures. I love the yellow hue.

Tomorrow my wife and I are looking at a couple houses for potential rental property. Both require considerable fixing up. I'm not excited about the prospect of moving into an old house and renovating, but the rental income is a wonderful thing when you're old. And, the money in the bank is doing nothing at current interest rates. Our local real estate market has gone nuts, but everyone wants a move-in ready house, buyers don't seem that interested in doing any of the work you have on your to-do list.

Olds442

Reaction score
They may be old, but they look very pretty in those pictures. I love the yellow hue.

Tomorrow my wife and I are looking at a couple houses for potential rental property. Both require considerable fixing up. I'm not excited about the prospect of moving into an old house and renovating, but the rental income is a wonderful thing when you're old. And, the money in the bank is doing nothing at current interest rates. Our local real estate market has gone nuts, but everyone wants a move-in ready house, buyers don't seem that interested in doing any of the work you have on your to-do list.
things are similar here. the "burbs" are going nuts since the cities showed their true colors. my real estate agent keeps asking if we're looking to sell, she loves this house more than we do.

but you're absolutely correct about people wanting a move in ready house that looks like it was on love it or list it last week. the houses that are move in ready, are sold inside a week, often before they hit the market. "fixer uppers" sit listed for a few weeks until a flipper low balls, just high enough.

good luck on that rental, it is a smart way to go these days with fewer people wanting to be "committed" to anything except their social media profiles. it's a growing rental market, more than usual, these days.

with regards to our kitchen, the counter won't look as dated to me once the cabinet doors are painted. they're shaker style, but beat up and finished oak, which is not in style now that everyone hates relic'ing. once those doors meet my awesome guitar refinish super powers, and the tile is updated, then it's going to look a lot better and i'll probably not mind the counter as much. i guess it's more the bad wood cabinets that irk me the most in that room.

then it's only two bathrooms and some paint and the place is ready for listing. probably be a few years though, mom and dad are still here and doing well, i'm happy to say. But down the road, TN and SC are looking like decent places, unless FL's market calms the fuck down.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
But down the road, TN and SC are looking like decent places, unless FL's market calms the fuck down.

My wife and I are having daily talks (especially now that it's cold) trying to decide if we want to build in Florida. We seem to stuck in an endless loop of indecision.

Olds442

Reaction score
My wife and I are having daily talks (especially now that it's cold) trying to decide if we want to build in Florida. We seem to stuck in an endless loop of indecision.
at work we call it decision anxiety, or decision paralysis.

it's a real thing. but life is short so consider that too.

Latest Threads