Happy Thanksgiving!

Olds442

Reaction score
EMdEArf.jpg

someone smells burgers

srRaYGm.jpg

scott1970

Reaction score
2020 Thanksgiving passed me up like the Great Pumpkin. Had to work all day, we were crazy busy at work (we used to not get calls on Thanksgiving), and there wasn't a single bite of food at the station (in years past multiple families would bring enough food to the PD throughout the day to feed an army). I reckon no Thanksgiving is better than a having a bad one, so I can't complain. Heaven knows I've had bad days at work, but this wasn't one of them.

We had a suspect we were chasing on foot sprint across three lanes of heavy interstate traffic, jump the median wall, and sprint across the other three. I'll never know how he didn't get killed. I had been running code on that same stretch of interstate a short time later and was having difficulty due to the heavy volume of traffic. He should have been exploded by a car.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fk ME!!! WHERE do you deep fry a 22lb turkey??? :shock:

(Sounds delicious though...)

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.

You get a 9 gallon pot and put in about 6 gallons of peanut oil. That sits on a stand with a gas burner, that is connected to a grill propane tank. Heat the oil to 350 degrees and then, cook the bird for 3 - 3.5 minutes per pound.

I do this in the middle of my backyard, in case things go sideways.

It's the best turkey you will ever eat.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Absolutely serious comment from a person on other side of the world and in a different hemisphere...

I had never heard of deep fried turkey...

I though everybody just baked or smoked or bbq’d it like normal people do.

So i YouTubed it and saw the whole process. Looks like it would definite be worth a try. But more concerning were all the clips of deep fried turkey fails.... Man it looks like half of the USA must be on fire every Thanksgiving, given how most people have such great difficulty with simple concepts such as hot combustible oil and sources of combustion.

anyone got any idea how many people are seriously injured or houses burned down each Thanksgiving deep frying a turkey?

cheers.

smk506

Reaction score
Absolutely serious comment from a person on other side of the world and in a different hemisphere...

I had never heard of deep fried turkey...

I though everybody just baked or smoked or bbq’d it like normal people do.

So i YouTubed it and saw the whole process. Looks like it would definite be worth a try. But more concerning were all the clips of deep fried turkey fails.... Man it looks like half of the USA must be on fire every Thanksgiving, given how most people have such great difficulty with simple concepts such as hot combustible oil and sources of combustion.

anyone got any idea how many people are seriously injured or houses burned down each Thanksgiving deep frying a turkey?

cheers.

A lot. Deep frying something that size isn’t hard per se, but there’s a lot that can go wrong and it goes wrong very fast as you’ve seen.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I refrained from buying a TV for the bedroom.
I refrained form buying a Soundbar thing that I don't yet need.
But I'm going out to get Pizza and other junk stuff to eat with the family!
And then break the rule of having fine wine only with fine food.
And maybe have a Cherry Blossom in the middle of drinking the whole bottle!
:laugh2:

Yep!
That will do.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I refrained from buying a TV for the bedroom.
I refrained form buying a Soundbar thing that I don't yet need.
But I'm going out to get Pizza and other junk stuff to eat with the family!
And then break the rule of having fine wine only with fine food.
And maybe have a Cherry Blossom in the middle of drinking the whole bottle!
:laugh2:

Yep!
That will do.

The supposed rule of only having fine wine with fine food is simply stupid. In fact wine and food rules generally are pretty stupid. The best advice I ever read about wine and food was that the best wine for any meal is whatever wine you have.

Good wine will lift any meal. And when you feel like a glass of wine (just about) any wine is better than no wine.

cheers.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
I'm the "out there" uncle/cousin/brother. I'm still available and hope that means something these days

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Just the wife and daughters. The oldest flew back from Norman so we added her to the bubble . The orginal plan was to go back east to the shadow of Plymouth rock and see mom and family for the big meal, but that obviously wasn't happening. We did the standard Thanksgiving fare, just scaled back the quantity a little. Since we're pretty much homebound having leftovers around is kinda nice.

I'm eyeing that last slice of pecan pie now...

Latest Threads