"Happy Birthday" is finally free

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And it only took 80 years!

All the "Happy Birthday" song copyright claims are invalid, federal judge rules - LA Times

None of the companies that have collected royalties on the "Happy Birthday" song for the past 80 years held a valid copyright claim to one of the most popular songs in history, a federal judge in Los Angeles ruled on Tuesday.

In a stunning reversal of decades of copyright claims, the judge ruled that Warner/Chappell never had the right to charge for the use of the "Happy Birthday To You" song. Warner had been enforcing a copyright since 1988, when it bought Birch Tree Group, the successor to Clayton F. Summy Co., which claimed the original disputed copyright.

Judge George H. King ruled that a copyright filed by the Summy Co. in 1935 granted only the rights to specific piano arrangements of the music, not the actual song.

Frankg11

Reaction score
thank goodness. With more than a dozen nieces and nephews I was afraid that I was going to have to report usage to RIAA BMG and other Alphabet organizations when I play for birthday parties.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
Hopefully this means an end to the awful, clappy, birthday raps that plague family restaurants.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Mildred and Patty Hill must be rolling in their graves.

"It took two people to write that song ? ! ? " quoth Isaac Jaffee (Robert Guillaume) in Sports Night, episode 4, Intellectual Property.

And Dan Ridell is now free to sing it (without being vaguely gay) to his television friends.

/TV nerd

BrianB

Reaction score
Sweet. And just in time for my birthday next week.

I'll expect the lot of you to sing me a rousing rendition. :cool:

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need someone like Marilyn Monroe to sing an arousing rendition.

hecube

Reaction score
There's still a chance for an appeal.

Two-million dollars in revenues annually at stake here.

Latest Threads