Happy Belated Burstday...UPDATED WITH DETAILED PICS!!!!!

Thrill

Reaction score
Amazing guitar, very belated congrats my friend.

Ive never had the pleasure of playing a real vintage burst, definitely wanna scratch that off my bucketlist. You gonna be up at the show in the flyer above with her? If so I might make the 2 hour drive there just to look at it in person lol.

amused

Reaction score
I might go from Brazil for my first ever vintage guitar show just to play her ahhahaha...

Anyone from NYC could give me a ride?? :)

cjp54

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful guitar Frank!!
Those Christian Louboutins (the shoes with the red bottoms) can go for around $1000 a pair x at least 180 pairs +/- various other shoes in the closet would put Franks guitar between $150,000 and $200,000!!!! Solely based on the shoes in the closet in post #6 that is!!

BSeneca

Reaction score
Not only is the guitar awesome. Frank, you are the MAN!! I can never personally thank you enough for allowing me to fulfill a lifelong dream of playing an actual burst.....several times!! You are a true gentleman and I look forward to seeing you every year. See you soon and take care, Brian

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
Any newer photos of her Frank? Has it faded any since you've owned it, or do you store it in a hyperbolic chamber of some sort?

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Any newer photos of her Frank? Has it faded any since you've owned it, or do you store it in a hyperbolic chamber of some sort?
Thanks for asking and for the bump! No, the guitar hasn't faded at all since I've owned it, and yes, I do store it in a hyperbolic chamber! How'd you know?!? :D

Here's one fairly recent photo of the guitar:

...and I have some cool older photos of the guitar to share too, but those will have to wait 'til tomorrow (if I'm able to get to it).

Frank

sk8rat

Reaction score
^that is the essence of what a plain top les paul is all about :cool2:

thxphotog

Reaction score
Amazing!

To me, the plaintops just look, like they would sound better than their flamie counterparts. Love the flames, (oh, do I love the flames!) but that's where we get into the "PRS wallhanger - don't dare touch it god forbid play it' territory. Gig with it?? No way!!

Plaintops like this are akin to Ferrari's and the like, that look like they're speeding when they're parked. The plain tops sound incredible.......in pictures.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gig with it?? No way!!
Oh C'mon. Most people don't even know what these things are. And they certainly seem to be more interested in the new shiny ones than the old beat up ones.

Frank - I need to steal some photography tricks from your photos. That last one is something to behold.

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice comments, guys! And sorry I didn't post the additional pics the other day, as I hoped I would, but we ended up going away for the weekend, and just got home.

So, I mentioned in post #186 above that I had some cool older photos to post, and now I have a chance to do that. But first, a little background...which some of you are already familiar with. Last summer, at the summer Philly show, a guy came to the booth and recognized my 'burst as being the same guitar that he owned from '72 thru 2000. He first recognized the serial number from the sign I had hanging on the guitar, and then recognized the ding he put in the top right near the toggle switch. The guitar had faded quite a bit since when he had owned it, which is why he didn't recognize the guitar at first.

Anyway, we spent a fair amount of time together, with him filling me in on the history of the guitar, and then he spent some time playing and getting reacquainted with it. The next day, he emailed me some additional info, along with some of the pics that he had of the guitar from the early years. And here they are...

This was taken in '72, right after he got the guitar:

And here's a photo of the guitar shortly before he sold it in 2000, and the note that he sent with this pic read: "See that little nick to the left of the toggle switch? That happened on a gig in the Bronx in 1982 when the guitar fell off its stand and into a microphone stand base on the floor. Boy was I pissed! When I saw the serial number 9-1152 on the sign in the guitar case at the show, a number I had memorized in my twenties, that got my attention …when I saw that nick, I knew it was my guitar!"

And here's a shot of him playing the guitar sometime in between the above two pics:

And lastly, here's a photo of the former owner holding the guitar at the Philly show last summer:

Frank

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great post, Frank. Thanks for sharing that history (I hadn't heard that background).

sk8rat

Reaction score
nice. always cool to know the lineage of old guitars.

sicko

Reaction score
this is, hands down, one of the coolest threads on all of mlp- and there's a lot of really cool threads on here. the above photos and story make it all the cooler. thanks for sharing.

geetarfreek82

Reaction score
Very sweet that the old owner got to see her and play her again. Cool story! I wonder why it faded so much in just the past fifteen odd years?

Joe A

Reaction score
That is one sharp looking LP. Congratulations!

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Thats amazing that it was reunited with an old owner, did he ask if he could buy her back? Or did he know better.

Blue Blood

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful.
Admittedly, I am a plaintop guy at heart

Latest Threads