Handy and cheap little tool: Floyd Rose edition

Thrill

Reaction score
So I mentioned this tool in someones thread on here a couple days ago, and they suggested I make a thread about it to bring it up for anyone who might not know about it.

The tool Im talking about is called "The Key". Its a damn handy "tool" to have around if youre gonna be setting intonation on Floyd Rose style bridges. Hell, even if you dont do set ups for other people its worth the $15 to have one for your own guitars if you have one with a Floyd.

It works really simply. You just snap it onto the saddle screw of the string youre going to be doing the intonation adjustment on, tighten it, loosen the intonation screw on the front of the saddle, then use the adjustment screw on the Key to move the saddle back and forth easily until you hit the proper note. Sure beats the hell out of trying to hold the bar down to slacken the strings, loosen screws, then guess where you have to move it all at the same time.

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I mentioned this tool in someones thread on here a couple days ago, and they suggested I make a thread about it to bring it up for anyone who might not know about it.

The tool Im talking about is called "The Key". Its a damn handy "tool" to have around if youre gonna be setting intonation on Floyd Rose style bridges. Hell, even if you dont do set ups for other people its worth the $15 to have one for your own guitars if you have one with a Floyd.

It works really simply. You just snap it onto the saddle screw of the string youre going to be doing the intonation adjustment on, tighten it, loosen the intonation screw on the front of the saddle, then use the adjustment screw on the Key to move the saddle back and forth easily until you hit the proper note. Sure beats the hell out of trying to hold the bar down to slacken the strings, loosen screws, then guess where you have to move it all at the same time.

Mine shows up tomorrow :)

Baylin

Reaction score
Will it only work on Floyds, or can it be used on a range Floyd style floating locking bridges?

I have a Yamaha RM Pro2 bridge...

247.jpg

...and I'm wondering if it's worth my while looking in to The Key to help set it up.

Thrill

Reaction score
It works on original floyd rose style bridges that have the long saddle screws running out the back of the base plate and under the fine tuners.

Like this vvv
scale_length_adjustment_fr.jpg

j.six

Reaction score
It's really only for the Original Floyd Rose bridge (and not the licensed versions). It may work on the Gotoh licensed version (as the string lock screws might be long enough), but not the licensed Schaller version.

Sully

Skyjerk

Meatbomb
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used it the other night. Worked like a dandy.

One small issue. On a 25.5" scale length, If you have your posts installed at 25 1/8" from the nut as they instruct on the Floyd Rose website, you may need to move a couple saddles pretty far toward the nut to intonate properly. On those saddles you can't remove the key once the saddle is locked down because the back end of the string locking screw is in really close to the back of the bridge and it kind of locks the key in place. You will need to unscrew and back out the string locking screw a little to remove the key.

It's not that big a deal, really, but it's worth mentioning

I'm pretty sure if you go by the Stewmac measurement of exactly 25 inches
this would not be an issue at all. The extra 1/8" of clearance between the back of the bridge and the saddle screw end would be more than enough to allow the key to be removed on those couple saddles

Can't speak to how this impacts other scale lengths.

Latest Threads