Hamer guitars

doug e

Reaction score
I've recently bought a SATQ and very impressed with the build quality/tone and playability straight from the box, the only downsides(imho) are the rather ott 'abalone' inlay around the body/neck/headstock and rather slim neck, but I wanted the crowned fretboard! so have to live with it.

to BCR Greg, I seem to recall reading you had the SATQ built with a fat/rounded neck profile in 'oceanburst', do you still have these?

doug.

MATTM

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Greg was kind enough to lend me that particular Hamer he's playing in the pix for a few days. I was a VERY nice guitar. Definitely worth the price point.

John

Reaction score
I had a couple import Hamers, the ones that resembled something like a flat-top les paul special..
they felt fine, compared to an epi, the feel to me was about on par..
I tried a 'better' PRS SE, and the 'better' ones--like the SE Singlecut and SE Customs kinda trumped my import Hamers, both in feel and if you left them as they were (i mean, without doing any swaps and stuff, etc etc), feel-wise, these Hamer's I'm mentioning did have their annoying parts...for me, the way the guitar was made the 21st, 22nd, and barely the 20th a tease and a pain in the rear to try reaching...especially when I got into shred and madness...I mean, Sparta:laugh2:...more often, lol
I'd recommend, if you really dig how they feel, you may want to swap the stock pickups at the very least, since they struck me as weak...a bit too weak for my tastes...

axslinger

Reaction score
Had a Sunburst before they made an "Import". It was a great guitar. DiMarzio pickups, Grover tuners, Badass bridge, set-neck...IMO, the current Hamer USA guitars are up there with PRS, Gibson or anything else. I'd love to have a Talladega.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I got my USA Hamer Special used for $450 USD c. 2000. A Gibby-killer if ever there was one. Might run $600-$700 today.

I added the pickguard.

On the used market, not all USA Hamers are real expensive.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a SATQ and very impressed with the build quality/tone and playability straight from the box, the only downsides(imho) are the rather ott 'abalone' inlay around the body/neck/headstock and rather slim neck, but I wanted the crowned fretboard! so have to live with it.

to BCR Greg, I seem to recall reading you had the SATQ built with a fat/rounded neck profile in 'oceanburst', do you still have these?

doug.
12 made, just a few left......

PunkerJon

Reaction score
Hey Greg, I was looking at your site and see you have those in a flame top as well! Are they both the same specs other than cosmetics? What does the neck profile on them compare to? And more importantly, how much to get one of those bad boys shipped to CA (94710)?
PM me please. Thanks, PJ

Atomic

Reaction score
im interested in one of those oceanburst hamers too.. are they still available? pics?

analogsystem

Reaction score
I got my USA Hamer Special used for $450 USD c. 2000. A Gibby-killer if ever there was one. Might run $600-$700 today.

I added the pickguard.

On the used market, not all USA Hamers are real expensive.
+1
There are TONS of really cheap USA Hamers on the used market. I am looking for a USA Californian right now.......

SouthpawGuy

Reaction score
How about a Diablo ? I got this US made one a couple of months ago, it's a '94 model.

Atomic

Reaction score
dude why did you buy that guitar?? i hope you know that its backwards.. . . . .

:D

kspeed

Reaction score
Greg, how's your Hamer Jr compare to the Gibby's? I just mean in terms of construction, quality of materials, attention to detail, etc.

Silver

Reaction score
I've got an '05 Hamer XT Series Standard. Black & White,
the same as northlight's (except mine's not backwards;)).

Mine's Chinese, which i've heard are more hit & miss
than their Korean counterparts & often times a miss.

I got it used & the set-up was god awful, but
after an adjustment, i totally fell in love w/ it.

It's not my number 1...or even my number two.
But what it does, which is a warm, full-bodied, very
nice Classic Rock kind of tone, it does extremely well.

It's also a very heavy guitar, physically, much heavier than an Explorer,
so take that into consideration if that's something that matters to you.

The only thing i'd say could use some
improving on mine is the stock tuners.

They hold tune for a live song or
two but after that, not so much.
Tuners are an easy fix though.

Overall, i really like my cheap Hamer.:thumb:

BstrdSonOJmsBrwn

Reaction score
i say.......unka Greg needs to wanna sell THIS.....

and then call a bro:laugh2::laugh2::thumb:........fabulous guitar:D

TeleDog

Pain in the Rear!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few Hammers, played a couple, real nice guitars. I would take a Hammer over some Epis, that's a fact, the thing that worries me about Asian guitars is the lack of consistency in terms of quality.

Some play awful nice, some play just awful. I don't know why that is, Epiphone supposedly gives every guitar a complete setup and inspection in the U.S. and still, some just won't play and have obvious problems that are plain to see. I have not played enough Hammers to say wether or not they also suffer from this problem.

These days with CAD and CNC machines anybody can replicate a guitar, still, it takes a skilled luthier to put it all together in a NICE way...

Latest Threads