Hamer guitars

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
I'm curious about Hamer guitars. Well, not all the Hamer guitars - not the U.S.-made ones that run well into the four-figures, but rather the (presumably) foreign ones that I seem to come across on ebay for a few hundred bucks.

How do these compare with Epiphone Les Pauls or even the foreign-made PRS guitars?

Cheers.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I didn't think too much of a student model I worked on for a friend. I thought their archtops were OK.

I also know that recently....didn't Fender buy these guys out, along with Grestch? If that's the case, you might see a big change in their entire production line.

northlight

Reaction score
I've had 2! Had a SATF and a standard... They were probably amongst the best imports i ever owned. In particular the build quality of the standard was excellent.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a whole wall of them at the store in the $400-600 range.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
I have a whole wall of them at the store in the $400-600 range.
Hmmm.....

I'm ceding to a retailer here, since you're working with 'em all the time. :)

How would you rate them over Epiphones since we're essentially talking about humbucking guitars with fixed TOM bridges?

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Way better.
Nice. The guitar my friend has is one of those TOM's where the bridge and the stop bar are sort of doubled up. (it doesn't sound too great) and that's the only Hamer solid bodies in this town where I live.

Since you're here....:D

Have you seen a concerted effort by Hamer to really start competing with Epiphone now that Fender owns 'em? And how does the Grestch ownership fit into all of this? (sorry if I'm straying on this a bit, but I have a suspicion that after this next economic downturn a few guitar manufacturers might be bought out, or will be out of business.)

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Fender has left Hamer alone in the past year. They tell us that they plan to continue leaving Hamer alone.

The_Sentry

Reaction score
Fender has left Hamer alone in the past year. They tell us that they plan to continue leaving Hamer alone.
Cool....

Final question...and I'll leave ye be. :naughty:

If someone was considering an Epiphone Les Paul standard, what would be a great Hamer model as an alternative in the same price range?

Iceman0124

Reaction score
The best git I ever played was a TV yellow Hamer USA made LP JR style double cut. It had the one piece wrap around bridge, screaming P90's and everything about that axe was perfection, it was a friends guitar and I used it more than he did for well over a year, till he sold it under my nose for pharmacutical needs.......damn I miss that guitar...

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
Thanks, all. Good to know that there's another budget alternative. I'd love to spring for one off your wall, BCRGreg, but I'm looking for one to tinker with. And like anything you tinker with, I wanted something decent to play around with, rather than something rubbish.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. Good to know that there's another budget alternative. I'd love to spring for one off your wall, BCRGreg, but I'm looking for one to tinker with. And like anything you tinker with, I wanted something decent to play around with, rather than something rubbish.
Your calling the guitars on my wall "rubbish" is not appreciated. I will assume that you meant that in jest.

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
Uhm, I think you read that wrong, mate. I'm interested in a Hamer, something nice that I can tinker with. A decent "chassis" that I can muck around with. Not some inexpensive rubbish guitar like thousands of off-brand knockoffs one might find on ebay or whatever.

I hardly think a Hamer's rubbish based on the endorsements here.

SpinWheelz

Reaction score
Sorry, you know what, I read it again, I had written it wrong, so I apologize for the misunderstanding. What I was trying to say was that springing for a $500 brand new guitar off your wall is a bit rich for me to take home, rip apart and tinker with. Ethically, it seems a bit wrong to me, too, for whatever reason. A less expensive, used Hamer might be an alternative, perhaps? Perhaps you got a couple of those lying around.

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an old yamaha sg (not the super one peice body one....) I would sell it.....do you want more info? could be perfect for you to mess around with.

Latest Threads