Ham fisted repair work

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I got the tele body all wire up and ready for the neck..... ordered a new reamer to open the peg holes for the new Fender locking tuners. It came after a week and a half (can you believe not ONE locally at any hardware store) got the holes teamed out.....marked the small holes and drilled em out. Put the first 3 tuners in just fine..... 4th one SNAP! 100% my fault.... Fender really needs a small "test" piece with each of those sets. You cannot tell if you have it reamed out enough because the little nubs keep the tuner from dropping all the way in, but you can't really drill out for the nubs unless you have the tuner set in. I would gladly pay an extra 5 bucks to have a small piece tapered just like the tuners so that you know you have the holes right. I have a call in to Sweetwater to see if I can purchase just one tuner. I tried to draw it into the hole by tightening it. I didn't think I was drawing it THAT tight but apparently I was.

gadafi

Reaction score
Damn that sucks.... I broke my Trad G tuner when it was a few weeks old, tripped over the lead and down it goes. No other damage so couldn't complain too much but couldn't buy a single Gibson tuner had to buy the whole set. Maybe different with Fender?

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shows as out of stock, but might be worth a call:

Doesn't look like a Fender branded tuner, bit would work:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
One of my favorite things on the internet is hamfisted repair work.
Follow Lyle Caldwell on FB and you get to watch him unearth so REALLY bad amp repair jobs.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Called Sweetwater thurs or Fri...... got an email today new set of tuners on their way.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Got the new tuners on.... there HAS to be an easier way to get the holes lined up

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Got the new tuners on.... there HAS to be an easier way to get the holes lined up
I think StewMac sells a drilling jig (for $69.95 ;) ) that works for most popular tuners.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Now I need a new nut. This has the original nut and the strings almost seem like the embed in it. Probably have to buy a blank and try my hand at making one from scratch. No idea what would be a close drop in.

Lungo

Reaction score
I’ve seen techs fill the slots with super glue and baking soda. Looked easier than starting from scratch.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen techs fill the slots with super glue and baking soda. Looked easier than starting from scratch.
It's not a bad temporary repair, and it might even last, but I would not rely on it, particularly for a working musician.

Latest Threads