Half pound of weight = what in $$ ?

rjstauber

Reaction score
I actually own a 2020 R0 that weighs 7.13.
Are you sure that value is correct and the scale is properly calibrated?

I don't think that solid Les Pauls can be built with such a low weight (that is about 3.2 kg).

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally found that right around 9lbs is a sweet spot for my shoulder. My R9 is not much over 8lbs and the Shanks is a few ounces over 9lbs. Both do nicely. But to answer the question the weight does not affect what I am willing to pay for a LP but it does to some.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
I’m looking at two 2021 R9s both same color, specs and condition. One is 8.5lbs and one is like 8.1
How many hundreds of dollars do people pay (or get) for this kind of weight diff?
One has a set of 9's

The other is probably 12's

Either way . . . someone needs a smack in the mouth

Clint

Reaction score
I tend to go for the lightweights but the last truly nice R9 I picked up from Mark/MGL weighs 8.75 lbs (8 lb 12 oz) and sounds wonderful. It's got a nice balanced sound and rings out. I think chasing all the light ones around I probably missed out on a few really good ones over the years.

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
Are you really going to feel .4 of a pound difference?
Yes, I can tell the difference between an 8.5lb and 8.9lb guitar. I have have both. And there's no grey area. And I don't mean with one guitar in one hand and the other guitar in the other hand- or one guitar right after the other. And I do buy my guitars by weight, all things being equal.... but the musical qualities of the guitar- playability and it's voice- trumps all. My preferred weight is between 8 and 8.5 lbs (and none are weight-relieved), but I won't exclude a heavier guitar if it has a great voice. But if two guitars sound equally good and play equally well, the weight can be the tie-breaker.

Last edited:

DanD

Reaction score
Wildwood did many runs of featherweights. They hovered at 8 pounds but many were under.

My Dave Carpenter R9 was 7p14z. There are far more lightweights out there from other runs that also spec'd ultra light hog.

I can't hear any difference but my shoulder sure does feel it.

Here's stupid light....

DN57-1 (1).jpg

That pic is at the Custon Shop. She weighed the same on my scale. I'd say that's calibrated enough for me...

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a Wildwood Featherweight R8…

It’s 7.70 pounds and a tone machine.

Last edited:

zdoggie

Reaction score
the one that feels the best ,if the other guitar sounds better i'd go with the best feel you can change pups and wiring and pots but you can't change feel

zdog

JMB1984

Reaction score
Some people will seek out certain weights for their own reasons, but weight alone doesnt command a higher value. Even featherweights had other special futures that helped justify the special run pricing.

When I was buying a reissue with plans to add a bigsby, I intentionally looked for one that was around 8 lbs so the end result after adding it would be around the 9 lb mark (and not a lot higher). I may have been willing to pay a little more to find the right guitar for the project, but didn’t need to.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Maybe you meant 7 lbs. and 13 oz., which would still be extremely lightweight for a solid Les Paul but still possible in my opinion.
Ive found many great Les Pauls in the weight range you mention. This one is 7 pounds 12 ounces, 2017 custom shop Brazilian, no chambering. A real pleasure to strap on and sounds heavenly.

Attachments

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Are you sure that value is correct and the scale is properly calibrated?

I don't think that solid Les Pauls can be built with such a low weight (that is about 3.2 kg).
I don’t use hundredths of a pound when I talk about guitar weight. It is 7 lbs, 13 ounces - very light for a solid body LP, but not unheard of. I was deciding between this one, which has a cool/interesting top but nothing to write home about, and one with a big flashy top with wide flames, but was 8 lbs, 10 oz. Obviously I chose comfort and relative rarity over flashy looks, and I’m glad I did. It’s so much easier to have over my shoulder for 3 hour gigs. I’ve seen plenty right around the 8 lb mark, but you’re right that the under-8 LPs are harder to come by. But I do see them from time to time. Your best bet would be to just tell your favorite dealer(s) to keep an eye out and to contact you when they see a sub-8-pounder. Gibson knows they’re in high demand, so most of them get put on hold before they ever hit a dealer’s showroom floor or website. Having a friend who has a connection in the Custom Shop certainly helps (which I’m lucky to have), but I also know Curt from House of Guitars will get you guitars straight from the factory if you tell him what you want. And thankfully you don’t pay extra for them from a dealer, it’s just first come, first served.

Latest Threads