Half pound of weight = what in $$ ?

pillbug

Reaction score
I’m looking at two 2021 R9s both same color, specs and condition. One is 8.5lbs and one is like 8.1
How many hundreds of dollars do people pay (or get) for this kind of weight diff?

DanD

Reaction score
From new there shouldn't be a price difference.

Used prices may be ever so slightly higher for a lighter Reissue.

Both of your choices are light but not extremely so.

There are many solid LPs under 8 pounds.

Last edited:

NightShift88

Reaction score
No difference new, but if selling it used later on, it could command a premium to someone looking for something in a particular weight bracket.

woolenmammoth

Reaction score
i dont know if its wise to be thinking that one is gonna command a higher dollar than the other to the point that you can put a number on it, however there might be some logic in thinking that one might sell faster than the other. perhaps thats just the way i look at these things.

JMP

Reaction score
No difference in price. Pick the one that plays the best to you.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Having a few reissues. One just over 8lbs. To me, yes I can tell. To the right person it could command a premium. That said, it’s hard to make the final call without play both

Last edited:

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Anything between 8-9 lbs is, in general, priced and treated the same. The only reason you could try to charge a couple hundred more is if it were under 8 pounds, but the truth is I’m seeing more and more of them these days, and I actually own a 2020 R0 that weighs 7.13. If I went to sell I wouldn’t expect to get more for it, but I might expect it to get more interest from potential buyers, that’s about it. Anything over 9 lbs is considered not quite as desirable and might not sell for less, but will probably have more buyers passing it over. Ironically my best-sounding LP is an ‘03 R7 Brazilian that weighs 9.10 lbs, so it’s just personal preference, there is no monetary value associated with weight.

rjstauber

Reaction score
There are many solid LPs under 8 pounds.
I don't think so. 8.0 lbs. is extremely light for a solid Les Paul. None of the original Bursts from 1958 to 1960 were that low in weight, as far as I know.

For example, the 60th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Custom Shop guitars from 2020 were all selected for light wood. I have looked and have the respective data for approx. 120 of these specific guitars, and they range from 8.0 lbs. to 9.2 lbs. I only found two which were exactly at 8.0 lbs (3.6 kg). I own one of them (see my avatar).

Even the Murphy Lab $10k guitars are typically above 8 lbs.

And if you specifiy in the Custom Shop for such a low weight, expect to pay at least $1k extra for the low weight.

If you find a new standard model at a low weight, there should be no price difference.

If buying used, I would consider a difference in "value" between 8.5 lbs. and 8.1 lbs. of at least $500.

Just my opinion.

Latest Threads