Half moon washer moving?

lgeoff239

Reaction score
I have an LP standard that I bought new about 10 months ago. Haven't had any issues with it, but I recently went to make a truss rod adjustment and noticed that the half moon washer moves a little bit when I turn the truss rod. Upon closer inspection it looks as if the barbs on the washer, which normally stick into the wood behind the washer to keep it from moving, dug out a little bit of extra wood so that instead of a hole where the barb goes in there is a little groove created by the barb where the washer rotates. I think this probably happened because this particular guitar does not have extra lacquer in that area, which would normally impede the washer from moving. Anyway, there does not seem to be any functional issue at the moment- the truss rod seems to turn normally and and the neck is responsive. I am wondering if this is an issue that requires any attention....or if I am just being OCD Any thoughts?

ARandall

Reaction score
The barbs are designed to go into the wood, not lacquer. So they do not in any way work less well just because the spray job was done poorly and there are a few microns depth of clear in there.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
You could remove the truss rod nut and use a mixture of sawdust and wood glue to patch the wood that was gouged out by the barbs. Keep the glue off the truss rod threads. You don't need anything crazy like epoxy or super glue. Take a close look at the side of the washer that faces out toward the truss rod nut. If it is gouged or rough sand it smooth with some wet-or-dry sandpaper. When the glue/sawdust patch is dry, re-install the washer and put a little light grease on the end of the truss rod nut that bears against the washer. That will keep the nut from grabbing the washer and twisting it while the rod is being adjusted. It is also a good idea to lightly grease the truss rod threads when you put things all back together.

Simple fix. Wood glue should dry overnight and you'll be up and running in one day.

lgeoff239

Reaction score
The barbs are designed to go into the wood, not lacquer. So they do not in any way work less well just because the spray job was done poorly and there are a few microns depth of clear in there.
No, what I mean was that there is normally extra lacquer surrounding the washer. At least on my other two gibsons, it looks like the extra lacquer on top of and around the washer would keep it in place even with no barbs on the washer.

lgeoff239

Reaction score
You could remove the truss rod nut and use a mixture of sawdust and wood glue to patch the wood that was gouged out by the barbs. Keep the glue off the truss rod threads. You don't need anything crazy like epoxy or super glue. Take a close look at the side of the washer that faces out toward the truss rod nut. If it is gouged or rough sand it smooth with some wet-or-dry sandpaper. When the glue/sawdust patch is dry, re-install the washer and put a little light grease on the end of the truss rod nut that bears against the washer. That will keep the nut from grabbing the washer and twisting it while the rod is being adjusted. It is also a good idea to lightly grease the truss rod threads when you put things all back together.

Simple fix. Wood glue should dry overnight and you'll be up and running in one day.
Thanks! I will try this.

ARandall

Reaction score
No, what I mean was that there is normally extra lacquer surrounding the washer. At least on my other two gibsons, it looks like the extra lacquer on top of and around the washer would keep it in place even with no barbs on the washer.
Er, nope. Especially given there will be no clear anywhere else but the top.
Barbs are probably 100 times stronger than the clear for preventing rotation.

lgeoff239

Reaction score
Er, nope. Especially given there will be no clear anywhere else but the top.
Barbs are probably 100 times stronger than the clear for preventing rotation.
Ok, I just thought extra lacquer would normally provide additional support. In any event, does the situation I described seem like a problem or do you think the fix suggested above should take care of it?

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, the washer doesn't control the TR tension.....or its rotation is not of relevance. It is there merely so the nut has something to spread the load to a wider amount of wood, and so that the turning of the nut is not directly onto the wooden aspect. You could equally have a round washer, but you cannot have the same coverage of the half moon without it fouling the cover .
So the barbs are only there are because the washer would start to foul the cover if it rotated too far......thats it

workerunit

Reaction score
A little light grease or beeswax on the truss rod bearing suface and on the threads also help minimize the torsional load on the truss rod. Do not over do the grease though as it will soak into and damage the wood.

Latest Threads