Half hearted question on best way to age/relic

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
For my two cents, the scotch brite idea is where it's at. I prefer the 3M pads. They have grit ratings like sand paper.

If you're sure you're into this plan, here's how I would do it.

Check out this video. It's me working on a butcher block table.

At 8 mins I start talking about the 3M pads and the grits. On your guitar try the lightest (white I believe) first. *Lightly* try that in the area you want to relic. You can always do more, but you can't undo too much. If the white isn't getting enough removed for you, go up in coarseness. Once you get the finish removed to the point to you want, you need to sand/polish with those pads from coarse to to fine. In that video watch what I'm saying about the perpendicular directions, then polish in circular motion. After those pads, I'd get a set of 3M polishing papers and go through the coarse to fine wet finish/polish process. Basically get the seam from the exposed wood area to the finished nitro smooth and clean.

Once you get all the way through the papers and coarse to fine (use some polishing compound and meguiar's after all of that), the whole area is going to be really shiny. At that point, then get on to continuing to play it. It'll scuff, 'satinize' , etc... on it's own from there. The exposed wood area will also continue to grow in size after that point naturally from your playing.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought it would just put the link in my post, not embed the video. Sorry if it seems obnoxious. Not my intention.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought it would just put the link in my post, not embed the video. Sorry if it seems obnoxious. Not my intention.
Forum automatically does that.
You may be able to prevent it by adding the "noparse" BBCode flags, not sure.
But it's cool, I prefer to launch the video in the forum window.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Just play the damn thing. It will eventually relic naturally.

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Wear a denim jacket and play the living daylights out of it. If you want buckle rash the way to get that is self-evident. Nothing beats the real thing!

Tdurden032

Reaction score
Just my two cents here, but as many others have said - just play it and let it do its own thing. For every one “good” relic job that I’ve seen, there be been 50 terrible ones where the guitar just looks awful from someone trying to artificially sped up the process. I’d just play it and enjoy the journey - the well loved-look will show itself soon enough

Mr Insane

Reaction score
For those still posting on this thread, I'm having the top completely refinished.

Latest Threads