Half hearted question on best way to age/relic

Mr Insane

Reaction score
My 2006 Gibson LP Standard is in player's grade condition. As such, the part of the body where my arm rests has an ugly haze/fade.

I have been thinking it would look kind of cool if that area was worn down to the wood.

Best way to tastefully do that?
Edit:I don't need unsolicited opinions on relicing. I am inquiring about waysbto do it IF I decide to go that route.

Last edited:

monstruo_loco

Premium Member
Reaction score
Something like this usually makes me think that I’d rather just keep playing and let it wear naturally, that’s what I’ve done with mine & while I understand going for the broke-in feel with certain techniques I’m not really a fan of visually relic-ing unless it’s something like HM does & even then I’d go for the “closet queen” approach and let play wear do it’s own thing. Not saying I have anything against it, just for my own instruments I’m not going there unless I play a relic that I love the feel and sound of (has happened more than once), and happens to be the one I just can’t live without. Hey, could happen!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
This.

Intentional "relicing" never looks right, particularly when done by owners.
The human brain is not capable of producing truly random patterns.
The human brain is incredibly adept at detecting non-random patterns.

Custom shop models are done by very carefully copying authentic worn guitars. It takes years of experience to do so in a way that does not look faked.
Every ding, every scratch, every finish check has some kind of a story to tell.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Spray insect repellent on your arm, where it contacts the body while you play. Or a heavy dose of cologne/perfume. Let dry before playing. DEET sprays are renowned for melting nitro.

After applying, wash your hands thoroughly or the stuff will attack the neck's finish (and any other place you touch).

We like to think most wear is abrasion, from playing a lot. Truth is, a T shirt printed with that thick sticky vinyl stuff can damage the finish over the course of one gig.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
You can use a Scotchbrite pad to get the wood to show through where your arm rests.

Any pics?

Reactions: Who

Mr Insane

Reaction score
You can use a Scotchbrite pad to get the wood to show through where your arm rests.

Any pics?
In pictures, it looks like a clean brand new guitar. When in reality, it has scratches, finish "fog" etc.

Caretaker

Reaction score
The fog or hazing is more than likely from spraying in too much humidity.
If that is the case stripping and refin is the only I know.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Get the Scotchbrite pads that are the equivalent of 000 steel wool. Wrap on your arm like a sleeve and play away. The wear will be natural and will match normal playing patterns. OR Play after you go for a jog. I hear sweat is also a catalyst for the wear that you want. I have not tried either of these methods intentionally, but I have seen wear on bandmates' guitars from not wanting to take off their leather or jean jacket.

jvin248

Reaction score

Find the book 'beauty of the burst' and use several of those guitars like a heat map to show where you might want to mark yours up. then, like a plastic surgeon, use a dry erase (test first, it may have chemicals that eat finish) marker to show where to damage it. then post a picture in a thread to get feedback. They'll tell you if it looks real or fake.

The secret with any relic is first having a great player of a guitar, and any relic work feels like satin. If it's rough, splintery, or sharp edges you're doing it wrong. Think broken in jeans hot from the drier in the winter.

Banastre

Reaction score
Honestly, play it this winter when it’s sweatshirt weather, only play it with a biker (leather) jacket., like maybe a one with a zipper down by the end. It’ll be real and look real.

1970SG

Reaction score
Just play it. You want the relic’d guitar look, but don’t want people to tell you how to “relic“ the guitar, but then you ask for suggestions how to relic.. get over it!! Lol! Just admit you want the guitar to look more worn than it actually is. They call that the relic look. Own it. Scratch it up with 0.001 steel wool and spray contact cleaner on the area. Problem solved. Inexpensive way to make the guitar more worn looking (aka relic).

Big Dik

Reaction score
I keep my guitars forever. They'll be relics, when I'm pushing up daisies.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Drag it behind your car or truck up and down your street a few times. It's as stupid an idea as relic-ing a perfectly nice quality instrument which you obviously don't have any regard or respect for.

I fine instrument you play is something to respect and love .... would you relic your kid, dog, wife, mother too? Duh.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Drag it behind your car or truck up and down your street a few times. It's as stupid an idea as relic-ing a perfectly nice quality instrument which you obviously don't have any regard or respect for.

I fine instrument you play is something to respect and love .... would you relic your kid, dog, wife, mother too? Duh.
U mad bro?

Big Dik

Reaction score
I must be a wierdo, I lovingly care for all my guitars, and want to keep them as pristine as possible. I own a Custom Shop '51 Nocaster, but it's NOS. To me relicing is like buying jeans with a bunch of holes in them. I don't sell my axes. When I but one, it's forever, and it will age naturally. I honestly don't understand the concept of relicing.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
It's almost 10 and I'm a "few" in, so I'm thinkin outside the box.

Wrap some sandpaper, or such, around the part of your arm that is resting on the guitar.

That'll speed up the process.
And satisfy the relic-neyers (probably not)

:cheers:

oh yah

boobies

10 Minutes of slow-motion bouncing boobs HD animated gif