Hail, fountain pens!

Guitarhack

Reaction score
I keep a ball point on me in case of a need to write/take notes on the go. I keep a fountain pen in the office for signing documents, taking notes and other assorted tasks.

I've got a couple of Waterman's and an old Parker. I prefer medium nibs. I'm not too picky about the type of ink that I use.

EasyAce

Reaction score
If one of you guys recommends a fountain pen for me that I can use casually for brief notes a few times a day, I'll give it a whirl. I've been needing a good pen again for a long time. My only concern with one for my use is that I'm no Abraham Lincoln, sitting on written letters for a day or more before sending. I write, stamp, fold and stuff and off it goes. Might need some type of quick drying ink.
If all you want is something casual, try the Sheaffer VFM I mentioned earlier in the thread (mine's a fine point) . . .

1614829004455.png

As I said---between $12-$19 on Amazon depending on their sale mood.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
If all you want is something casual, try the Sheaffer VFM I mentioned earlier in the thread (mine's a fine point) . . .

View attachment 523083

Ok, done! I'll give it a whirl. Been years since I used a fountain pen. I hope I get along with it. I like the idea and never found myself in love with any ballpoints.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Ok, done! I'll give it a whirl. Been years since I used a fountain pen. I hope I get along with it. I like the idea and never found myself in love with any ballpoints.
You should get along with that pen just fine. You notice there's a little tapering to the nib, that'll make it even more comfortable to write with. (You can also get that model in matte black, red, chrome, or brushed metal, your choice!)

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I used to have a decent set, bc I used to do calligraphy. Now, I only have a cheap Pilot, which I barely use.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I’m guessing you fountain pen fans are not left handed.
I write left handed and used fountain pens for years.
But I don't write in the "broken wrist" position. I push the pen towards the right with the right inclination.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I admit it. I'm a fountain/cartridge pen lover. Have been ever since a friend of my parents, who worked in the stationery business, gave me my first Sheaffer fountain pen when I was ten . . .

View attachment 522889

Today I write with either one of a pair of MontBlanc fountain pens . . .

View attachment 522891

View attachment 522892

I figure you could be obsessed with far worse things than writing with a fountain pen. To me a MontBlanc is to fountain pens what a Les Paul is to guitars.

(For the record: I hate ballpoint pens. I consider them another exhibit in the case against civilisation's suicide.)

I just wondered whether anyone else around here likes and writes with fountain pens, or whether I'm the only nutbag here who does.
That green one at the top is the exact model I used when I was young.
Time flies.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
You should get along with that pen just fine. You notice there's a little tapering to the nib, that'll make it even more comfortable to write with. (You can also get that model in matte black, red, chrome, or brushed metal, your choice!)
I got a chrome with gold accent one. It was only a few dollars more and I figured it would match whatever I was wearing, that way.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One past obsession was collecting, appreciating, shopping for, drooling over catalogs and even better auction catalogs, of Fountain Pens.

I write (wrote) a lot. Kept notebooks of fine grade writing paper, so I could use fountain pens.

Moved to good quality Rollerball's (Mont Blanc and others) because it was "easier". I still carry a good rollerball, and usually a second, sometimes fountain, sometimes another rollerball.

Most of my work is on a computer, so I type more than I write these days. I sort of miss the obsession, though ?

Reactions: Who

EasyAce

Reaction score
Moved to good quality Rollerball's (Mont Blanc and others) because it was "easier". I still carry a good rollerball, and usually a second, sometimes fountain, sometimes another rollerball.
"Rollerball"---just another way to describe the wicked ball point. ;)

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Rollerball"---just another way to describe the wicked ball point. ;)
I will plead the 5th on how cheap a writing instrument I will stoop to using. But I have some pride in minimum standards for carry. And, yeah, any step down is still a step down.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

View attachment 523083

I've had a few days with it and could use some pointers.

I'm "out-writing" it. As I write as fast as I'm comfortable doing, I get some dry areas where the pen scratches the paper but doesn't lay down any ink. I have to either slow down or press harder than I comfortably write. It feels rough on these same spots too. Not gliding smooth. I'm just using basic printer / copier paper.

My technique? The nib? The paper?

EasyAce

Reaction score
I've had a few days with it and could use some pointers.

I'm "out-writing" it. As I write as fast as I'm comfortable doing, I get some dry areas where the pen scratches the paper but doesn't lay down any ink. I have to either slow down or press harder than I comfortably write. It feels rough on these same spots too. Not gliding smooth. I'm just using basic printer / copier paper.

My technique? The nib? The paper?
It could be a combination of the three, though a new nib shouldn't be an issue. (It wasn't when I bought mine.) Basic printer/copier paper isn't always the idea paper for fountain pen writing, but a lot of times it's a crapshoot as to the paper quality, anyway.

You may also have to give the ink cartridge a very tiny squeeze to start or correct the ink flow with a brand-new pen most of the time.

One thing to be certain: Writing with a fountain pen isn't like writing with a ball point. You don't have to press the pen so firmly to the paper once the ink begins to flow properly.

Latest Threads