Hague Singlecut

calieng

Reaction score
Will do. I had one from a couple years ago that the builder said was a version 3 build. He now is on version 5 so it will be interesting to see how he has improved on his builds.

Thanks.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I can't find any pictures of the headstock of this guy's guitars. Is it one of those "shh don't tell gibson" kinda things so he isn't served with legal papers?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't find any pictures of the headstock of this guy's guitars. Is it one of those "shh don't tell gibson" kinda things so he isn't served with legal papers?
This is why we haven't typically been so casual with replica builders' names on this forum.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
This is why we haven't typically been do casual with replica builders' names on this forum.
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to put the guys name on blast. I was just genuinely curious because I read he built slash a guitar in the past, and if he built slash a guitar, he might've had the blessing from the big G to keep doing what he's doing.

calieng

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to put the guys name on blast. I was just genuinely curious because I read he built slash a guitar in the past, and if he built slash a guitar, he might've had the blessing from the big G to keep doing what he's doing.
Were you referring to Kris Derrig? He built a Les Paul for Slash that Gibson actually took in and measured to build their version of the Slash Les Paul.

These other small builders usually are targets of Gibsons wrath so it is a fine line in acknowledging their work so they can get future business and saying too much that might get someone in trouble...

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Were you referring to Kris Derrig? He built a Les Paul for Slash that Gibson actually took in and measured to build their version of the Slash Les Paul.

These other small builders usually are targets of Gibsons wrath so it is a fine line in acknowledging their work so they can get future business and saying too much that might get someone in trouble...
I know that Derrig made the afd les paul, but I was reading an old reverb listing of a Hague made guitar that claimed he made guitar for slash. Could just be bad information that I wasn't really vetting. Just reading and taking at face value.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Will do. I had one from a couple years ago that the builder said was a version 3 build. He now is on version 5 so it will be interesting to see how he has improved on his builds.

Thanks.
I haven't heard this. Did he give you any indication what may have changed?

calieng

Reaction score
I haven't heard this. Did he give you any indication what may have changed?
It was during a conversation when I was ordering this new guitar. He said he made a number of improvements but I do not recall if he mentioned any specific changes just that they are an improvement over past builds.

calieng

Reaction score
I know that Derrig made the afd les paul, but I was reading an old reverb listing of a Hague made guitar that claimed he made guitar for slash. Could just be bad information that I wasn't really vetting. Just reading and taking at face value.
There were apparently three replicas Slash owned. The first was by Max when the band was just starting out and then the Derrig was the most famous that he toured with. I have not read anything about the third one but I will ask next time I speak with this builder if he knows anything about it.

P.S. I did find that old Reverb listing for the Goldtop and the info about the builder is wrong. He did not build the AFD guitar as stated in the listing. That sellers account is also disabled on Reverb now.

Last edited:

BadMongo

Reaction score

Like I understand why Gibson has to protect their intellectual property, but there's sort of a delicious irony in that - for guys my age (40ish), Slash playing a Les Paul was a huge part of what made them cool (again) - and right on the heels of the Norlin years and a bankruptcy, one can't help but think that he contributed to them making a resurgence... with a copy... that they then copied in order to get it right.
I don't know what a top-tier replica costs (presumably not cheap), but seeing as the QC and vintage-correctness still don't appear to be something Gibson is getting right for also not cheap, if I were looking to drop a big chunk of cash on an LP, I'd definitely lean towards a replica. Built with care by a single person who gives a shit about getting it right vs. assembly line manufacturing with QC issues that get blamed on the customers? No brainer.

Reactions: MCT

Latest Threads