Had my first guitar lesson today! I’m excited!

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
So I played as a teen. Nothing major! Just plinked along to tabs and never got serious! Gave it up for 30yrs. Along comes Covid and I’m bored as f and decide to pursue some bucket list items. Learn guitar!

Buy way too much junk and play for a year. Sometimes motivated, sometimes not! Well, I’m a year back and hungry to learn. So found a local Craigslist teacher and had my first lesson. He seems cool and is quite decent player. He actually seem excited to have a student who’s motivated to learn and pursue knowledge! We geeked a bit on some stuff and he gave me some stuff to work on; after he kind of figured out where I was at and my goals! I’m Looking forward to next lesson. I have it setup for once a week, but I’m thinking of changing to 3 times every 2 weeks(schedule limited)

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice.

Remember, modes, scales, arpeggios and sight reading are your best friends.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And practice specifics, don’t do what I do and forget and start playing random riffs because I got bored and mind wandered. Like I at mo I'm really concentrating on right hand position, anchoring and how it touches strings to mute, and not moving unnecessarily to control extraneous noises. But, after 10 mins I forget and start riffing.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
I started lessons a good year ago but covid put an end to it... For the moment. Anyway have not really touched my guitars for the past months because of an painfull ellbow. Just slowly picking up again.
My teacher made a couple video's wich is nice... :applause:
I did the same, played bass for a really short time than good 30 years nothing, always said if i can afford a gibby i pick it up again. So did a couple years ago.... ;)
Good luck and enjoy playing.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Yeah he gave me a sheet with pentatonic scales, and how they change at various positions. And the major scales are on the opposite side of the page. Seems the major pentatonic is just 1 1/2 step down from the minor at different positions. Interesting. Have gave that to me, and wanted me to figure it out. Said to learn all the minor positions first, then see how it applies to the major, and as soon as I started doing the major's I was duh! Easy! Very interesting to see how this is applying to trying to learn some Ace Frehley stuff. Love gun solo is E minor pentatonic. I can figure that out now w/out being told :). I learn much better when I know concepts and then how they apply vs just memorization.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
Scale are not for me, i just can't get it to stick with me, can't focus... :rofl: :laugh2: :hyper::dunno::run::facepalm::beer::eek2::rofl::thumb:

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Scale are not for me, i just can't get it to stick with me, can't focus... :rofl: :laugh2: :hyper::dunno::run::facepalm::beer::eek2::rofl::thumb:
Left to my own devices I'm the same way. However, I think if I keep with the lessons, it'll be challenging and more fun.

Latest Threads