Had my first gig with my Goldie - Thoughts on P90 pickups in a live setting

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I traded my custom shop strat for this goldtop a few months ago and I've just been making it my own.

I swapped all of the plastics for black ones, shielded every cavity with conductive paint, swapped out the pickups for a set of Wolfetone mean/meaner P90s and threw in an Emerson 50s wiring harness.

Last night I had a 4 hour gig at an axe throwing bar and I decided to go with Goldie for the duration over my 2016 R9, which is my number one guitar for gigs.

The Wolfetone pickups are amazing sounding. It was that slightly microphonic, vintage experience that I had always expected from a P90 equipped guitar, whereas the stock Gibson ones left me feeling like I needed more rasp. Gibson P90s just feel too sanitized.

But that is a double edged sword.

Lots of feedback past 6 on the volume pot at volume. It isn't too much of an issue, as I just turned the amp up and all was well.

The Emerson pots feel a lot looser and easier to turn than I'm used to, making adjustments on the fly a little more difficult for me.

All in all, it did great. It's got its problems but it's like that hot girl that is insane but a lot of fun to hang out with. I look forward to taking it out on the road with me.

H7CbVlU.jpg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a stunning goldie…
I love it…looks like it was waxed at a car detailing center ha

consider me a fan :h5:

can’t help on live gig setups but many on this forum are experts…

i am a goldtop aficionado and yours is as beautiful as one can be

-chris

RaistMagus

Reaction score
I'm surprised you can play for 4 hours straight with a LP pulling in your shoulder.

moreles

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. I love how goldtops age, as they really do look better as time passes and the actual gold color shifts. Look forward to that.
I'd be unhappy with the feedback, even if you do have a work-around be tweaking the amp. You want to be able to use the full-on pot setting on the guitar. There are too many possibilities for causes, so you'll just have to sort through them to see what's at work. Sometimes it's just the room. But if it is a tendency of those particular pickups, which would be surprising, I would take them out. Lots of people love P90s in their LPs. I do not. I like them but don't love them. They're somewhat versatile but mostly sound like P90s all the time, for me, and it's just not a voice I want to use all the time, not because there's anything deficient in it, but just that it's not for me.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Yup that guit is a beaut!
Now........ what is an axe throwing bar?
BP

T Willis

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar! You'll work it out over time as you play it more.

dcurran87

Reaction score
Love to hear people gigging P90's, keep it alive buddy.

That's a sweet looking goldtop, though I think it's screaming out for a final black bridge/tailpiece to complete the job!

LunarSF

Reaction score
1. Never bring a double edged sword to an axe throw
2. Bringing the buzz...P90 Goldies -or at least my '56 RI- is very sensitive to the venues light and/or electrical system, so get use to always having your a hand touching the strings, and turning down between songs

SamMoor

Reaction score
You mentioned the pickups being slightly microphonic. Microphonic pickups tend to feed back. That's why pickups are usually wax or epoxy potted nowadays.
Microphonic pickups may add a certain sonic charm in a very controlled environment but wouldn't be my choice for a live environment.

Adoran

Reaction score
The black looks great with the pups!

I was not expecting to like it so much, makes the headstock look better too.

Nice.

Sweeper5

Reaction score
I love love love the look of the black with the gold, and I always loved the look of P90,s on a goldtop. I don’t know how it sounds, but if it’s anywhere as nice as it looks…
great job!

captdan61

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar. I love how goldtops age, as they really do look better as time passes and the actual gold color shifts. Look forward to that.
I'd be unhappy with the feedback, even if you do have a work-around be tweaking the amp. You want to be able to use the full-on pot setting on the guitar. There are too many possibilities for causes, so you'll just have to sort through them to see what's at work. Sometimes it's just the room. But if it is a tendency of those particular pickups, which would be surprising, I would take them out. Lots of people love P90s in their LPs. I do not. I like them but don't love them. They're somewhat versatile but mostly sound like P90s all the time, for me, and it's just not a voice I want to use all the time, not because there's anything deficient in it, but just that it's not for me.
My main guitar for the last 40 years is a 10 lb les Paul with p-90’s and I mostly use a tweed deluxe. Only had a problem with feedback.

Attachments

• 3100F9D9-E5FB-4CD6-BB70-7F1CDEE6F309.jpeg
    3100F9D9-E5FB-4CD6-BB70-7F1CDEE6F309.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 18

Latest Threads