Hack happened, to all affected by the hack to my account:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I sent him a PM on the 335 asking about the neck profile and got a response that was -

It's in perfect condition, how's the payment?

I immediately got bad vibes. I've seen people give incredible deals before on this forum that were legit. Hacking prolific members' accounts is a tactic we need to be cognizant of, it seems.

mdubya

Reaction score
I sent him a PM on the 335 asking about the neck profile and got a response that was -

It's in perfect condition, how's the payment?

I immediately got bad vibes. I've seen people give incredible deals before on this forum that were legit. Hacking prolific members' accounts is a tactic we need to be cognizant of, it seems.
I knew Coldsteal had not been around for a while, but at one time I was in regular contact with him. I thought maybe he had fallen on hard times and was even considering offering a more "fair" price to help him out. It never got around to that, though. I was busy with work and by the time I came back to look again, I was banned and jstarr had contacted me to let me know posts were getting deleted and that something very strange was going on.

At that point I pulled up a chair.

The guy was more worried about the payment than anything.
Could have gotten away with it had he dealt with patience and done work professionally
I'm just glad he didn't
Was the payment option even valid? I didn't see any direct info presented to make a payment, i.e. account number or email address to send money to. It was really weird.

Then, when he impersonated Dave and stickied the classified he posted as Dave, it looked more like mockery than a real attempt at scamming.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Sorry guys. This is the REAL ltdave32 here. Some ass-hat had hacked my account , as well as "coldsteal2".

Trying to sell guitars. You can tell by the language used that it was some slob in India.

It wasn't me.

Sorry for the inconvenience fellas..

-Dave.
India, you say?

Weird, bc considering the style of broken English, I read it in my head with an Asian accent.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I knew Coldsteal had not been around for a while, but at one time I was in regular contact with him. I thought maybe he had fallen on hard times and was even considering offering a more "fair" price to help him out. It never got around to that, though.
I've been posting on here for a decade, but I tend to come and go. I recognized Clodsteal but didn't know he hadn't been on in a long time. So while I was suspicious of the price, I thought maybe there was a chance it was legit. The reply I received on my inquiry didn't sit well with me at all, however. When I saw 'hacker-Lt. Dave's' $1100 50s Standard though, I knew something was going on.

I don't know if this has been pointed out here, so apologies if it's redundant... but I replied to the 335 thread commenting on how the price was unreal. I noticed right away my post was removed from the thread. I checked on a thread that I started and noted that I didn't have authority to delete posts, so another red flag. The more info we know on this hacker behavior, the better.

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
I did think it seemed odd in here when this was happening. Now that I have seen the pms back and forth it kind reads like some Somali pirates hijacking the site and taking prisoners.

I remember seeing a thread in the classifieds, don't remember who posted it, but it read something like "It's not him, that's not Coldsteal."

All of a sudden that thread disappeared, so the hackers must've been onto that. Those hackers knew they had limited time to do the job and getaway before the word would spread like fire.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here it is, with the odd comment inserted...

View attachment 531347

Before he had even messaged me, I had already checked and seen that coldsteal2 hadn’t posted in 4 years and figured something was up. After that reply above, I PM’d Vic to let him know what was up.

View attachment 531348

He got a little impatient in the 3 minutes it took me to message Vic...

View attachment 531349

Zelle? Not sketchy at all.

View attachment 531350

This is where I start digging for details because they usually don’t have any.

View attachment 531351

You’ll see where I’m headed here.

View attachment 531355

...digging for more details.

View attachment 531362
View attachment 531363

Suuure you’re going to contact a moderator.

View attachment 531364

At this point, I see he’s added @LtDave32 to the conversation. That’s weird. What happened next freaked me the fvck out!

View attachment 531365

That’s Dave alright, but he sounds a little more “Nigerian” than I remember.

View attachment 531366

Obviously not Dave, but let’s have some fun.

View attachment 531367

View attachment 531368

View attachment 531369
View attachment 531370

At this point, he knew I wasn’t going to pay off. I was heading over to the For Sale thread to post a warning but WTF?!? I was banned!!!
I thought that maybe he had just found a way to spoof Dave’s account, but the fvcker actually had Mod access!!!
I figured I could still mess with him a bit.

View attachment 531371
View attachment 531372
View attachment 531373

That oughta get me somewhere.

View attachment 531374

A couple minutes later, I went to reply in my conversation with Vic and it said I needed to log back in?!?
When I did, my password wouldn’t work. He had actually gotten into my account, changed the password, and locked me out.
I had to create a new account to contact the Mods and let them know what was up.
1EB70FFB-9E6D-4B71-9680-6689FB891D02.jpg

this killed me :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I’m not getting a free guitar and didn’t win anything :( That sucks man hope you get it figured out.

RCCola

Reaction score
His/her English is a lot better than developers I’ve worked with in India :dunno:

Also, does nobody care a moderator’s account was so easily hacked? Is it a vulnerability in the forum software? Or phishing?

Latest Threads