Habs fire GM Mark Bergevin

redking

Reaction score
...and will now conduct their traditional process of handcuffing themselves by seeking out the "best French guy available" to run the team as GM. :Ohno: :laugh2:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Aaah.....hockey. Was wonderin' what this was.

Don't be mistaken.
This is not about hockey.
This is about his « love » of bilingual French / English people of the Montreal Canadiens.
GM's and Coaches who can address the bilingual Montreal market in both languages.

Meanwhile The Toronto Maple Leafs have been having years of bad results with an all English staff,
haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967 and have been eliminated by the Canadiens during the last playoffs
in a 4 out of 7 series after having lead 3 - 0.
All this with English speaking only Management Position holders.

The irony.

Sun-front-Leafs-768x413.jpg

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I loved the Habs when I was a kid, Guy Lafleur, Guy Carbonnaeu, Larry Robinson, Bob Gainey, Rejean Houle, Rod Langway, Mark Napier and so on... One of my high school teammates played for them for a few years in the '90s.

That is one proud franchise.

redking

Reaction score
Don't be mistaken.
This is not about hockey.
This is about his « love » of bilingual French / English people of the Montreal Canadiens.
GM's and Coaches who can address the bilingual Montreal market in both languages.

Meanwhile The Toronto Maple Leafs have been having years of bad results with an all English staff,
haven't won the Stanley Cup since 1967 and have been eliminated by the Canadiens during the last playoffs
in a 4 out of 7 series after having lead 3 - 0.
All this with English speaking only Management Position holders.

The irony.

Sun-front-Leafs-768x413.jpg
I guarantee the fans that actually support the club and pay their hard earned $$$ wouldn't give 2 shits about having a bilingual coach or GM if they were constantly winning. Only the politicians & media make an issue out of it if they can make political hay or sell ads with controversy they create.
All this bilingual virtue signalling leads to bad hockey decisions like trading key assets like Mikhail Sergachev to Tampa to help them win 2 cups for fellow Quebecois Jonathan Drouin who solidified his status as a dud since arriving in Montreal. :rofl: It's not about picking someone that is English, it's about picking the best candidates and finding the best players no matter where they are from. It's a worldwide game now - only 40% of the players are from Canada, and maybe 15% of that number from Quebec. I personally hope they keep running the team this way.
And yes, I agree, the Leafs do suck as a franchise too :applause:

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ou te le malamalama pe aisea ua le avea ai le gagana Saina ma gagana aloaia o le hockey. :dunno:

O le mafuaaga e le manumalo ai le au ona e leai se isi e tautala faaSaina! :laugh2:

--R :p

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I guarantee the fans that actually support the club and pay their hard earned $$$ wouldn't give 2 shits about having a bilingual coach or GM if they were constantly winning. Only the politicians & media make an issue out of it if they can make political hay or sell ads with controversy they create.
All this bilingual virtue signalling leads to bad hockey decisions like trading key assets like Mikhail Sergachev to Tampa to help them win 2 cups for fellow Quebecois Jonathan Drouin who solidified his status as a dud since arriving in Montreal. :rofl: It's not about picking someone that is English, it's about picking the best candidates and finding the best players no matter where they are from. It's a worldwide game now - only 40% of the players are from Canada, and maybe 15% of that number from Quebec. I personally hope they keep running the team this way.
And yes, I agree, the Leafs do suck as a franchise too :applause:

First of all, the only team that has been "constantly winning" the last two years is Tampa Bay.
And the Habs were 3 games short of the Stanley Cup that they lost to
the Tampa Bay Lightning whose GM and Assistant-GM are... Julien Brisebois and Mathieu Darche.
Bilingual guys that learned the trade in Montreal.

I understand that Maple Leafs fans shouldn't be too upset if two Russians were in charge of an all Russian
players team since they've been losing so much for so many years but I'm pretty sure they eventually
would want the team to communicate with them in English, as they should.

The Sergachev trade, as bad as it was/is, wasn't a Russian for a Quebecois trade.
It was a Rookie Defenseman to be developed for a talented forward seemingly in progress.
It didn't work out as expected for Montreal but it had nothing to do with ethnics or culture.

I'm not saying this in a bad way but the Montreal scene and the Montreal Canadiens
tradition seem to escape you. And there are enough people from the Montreal organization
that eventually went all over the league to help clinch titles and cups that it should be clear
that the pool to recruit talented bilingual people is not that limited.
The new "VP hockey" (which is a new position in MTL) is Jeff Gorton. Formely from the Boston Bruins
and the New York Rangers. We'll see what he brings. As always, the proof is in the pudding.
Have a good evening!

WaywerdSon

Reaction score
I doubt this guy is interested in the job.

I remember that game. Never was a Habs fan, but I became less of one after that fiasco. Blatant disrespect to leave Roy in the game that long, he was right to be pissed and demand a trade. You cant let your star goalie be humiliated like that and expect him to have any desire to go back in the pipes for your team ever again.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
CBJ goin' deep this year.
Metropolitan Division is looking really tough this year....again. :)
R.gif

redking

Reaction score
I'm not saying this in a bad way but the Montreal scene and the Montreal Canadiens
tradition seem to escape you.
I understand the tradition - I'm just saying it doesn't work like that anymore. Prior to the NHL draft in in 1963 the NHL teams had territorial rights over players from certain areas - and Montreal had territorial rights over the best amateur players from Quebec. This was a bountiful harvest for them for decades. Once the draft came into effect, it became more difficult to obtain all the best Quebec players, but they were able to get many, because most NHL calibre players still came from Ontario and Quebec through the 60's and 70's. (eg. they couldn't get Gilbert Perreault, but they did get Guy LaFleur). Now that the talent pool is worldwide for not only players, but for coaches and managers, you can't run a team with a narrow focus and expect to be good. As far as Brisbois goes, I have no idea how they allowed him to get away, clearly Steve Yzerman was better at judging his potential than the Habs. I think hiring Gorton is potentially their "back door" way of hiring the best guy they think is available, but they are going to bury him behind the scenes instead of putting him out there to face the public.

Latest Threads