H.R. Giger Destroyer

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I got this for what I believe is an awesome price. I Had been a fan of Giger's work for a long time. I would see these VERY rarely online. This one showed up at my local SamAsh. I emailed Ibanez about it. I got a quick reply, but not much info. There seems to be all kinds of "guesses" as to production numbers. I have heard 800-1200 most often. Scott Grove has a 36 minute long video about this guitar. He has SOME info on it, he claims only 150 were made. I can not stand listening to that guy talk! Anyhow, does anyone have any real intel on these? I may need to sell it. This one is mint and all original. Thanks

HCRoadie

Reaction score
JUST REALIZED
I called it a Destroyer...it's an Iceman...of course:doh::facepalm:

endial

Reaction score
Pretty friggin' cool guitar, I'll give you that.

Yelir

Reaction score
I have never heard of these variations. The Mrs. is a big Giger fan, maybe one of these would easily slip past her radar. What a crazy looking tailpiece! :shock:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
36 minutes of listening to Scott Grove talk == worse torture than water boarding.

Nice Axe man!

AccustomedtoStandards

Reaction score
Very cool. I've seen the Giger RGs, but didn't know there was an Iceman - but it makes sense, that body shape is a good fit for the Giger themeing. Enjoy!

Norlight

Reaction score
I dig that! I too also knew about the Giger RGs. This is new to me. Very cool HGD and congrats!

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Very cool. I've seen the Giger RGs, but didn't know there was an Iceman - but it makes sense, that body shape is a good fit for the Giger themeing. Enjoy!
The shape is a great fit for this art work. I love the way this thing plays. Absolute shredder. The stock pickups are great for that scooped metal sound.

warmachine

Reaction score
The Giger is a custom appearance package based on the IC-400. Should have a specific case and Giger poster along with it. You'd have to take that into account if you resell it, cause most collectors will factor that into the overall value. Aliens is my favorite horror movie, so I totally dig this guitar and keep an eye out for them! The neck profile ain't my thing, but to have one as a trophy would be sweet someday.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
The Giger is a custom appearance package based on the IC-400. Should have a specific case and Giger poster along with it. You'd have to take that into account if you resell it, cause most collectors will factor that into the overall value. Aliens is my favorite horror movie, so I totally dig this guitar and keep an eye out for them! The neck profile ain't my thing, but to have one as a trophy would be sweet someday.
Thanks for the tip about the case and poster. Definitely need to keep that in mind when/if I sell it.

Tenacious T

Reaction score
No info to provide, but I do love that guitar.

Nice!

Lepard

Reaction score
Korea and a C Serial Number is Cort Korea. It couldn't have been a very expensive guitar to begin with. Must be kind of rare, no record of one actually being sold on eBay in completed autions.

LSAR

Reaction score
Never heard of Giger or his associated Ibanez's (Ibani?) before this thread.

Seems like a pretty interesting dude...and looks to be a pretty interesting instrument. Congrats on the acquisition!

Benjammin

Reaction score
nice, play some Brain Salad Surgery! :dude:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwSTe9uit48[/ame]

warmachine

Reaction score
Never heard of Giger or his associated Ibanez's (Ibani?) before this thread.

Seems like a pretty interesting dude...and looks to be a pretty interesting instrument. Congrats on the acquisition!

He had an art style called Bio-mechanical. Much of it featured women and wangs :laugh2: but his style and influence were employed in the Alien and Species movies. Also Danzig and Blondie and some others had album cover designs with his artwork.

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I got to go to the Giger museum in Switzerland. It was awesome. There is also a bar that is themed with his art work in the same town.
[URL=http://s191.photobucket.com/user/arpadium/media/guitar%20stuff/Museum-Bar-HR-Giger-7-35_zps40t8iiea.jpg.html]
Museum-Bar-HR-Giger-7-35_zps40t8iiea.jpg
[/URL]

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Grove is a moron, that we can all agree on. Ibanez did about 1500 of these in the HRG series. It included the RG and the Iceman. I believe there was a destroyer version, but haven't seen one. They are collectable, but what kills it for me, is that if you actually play it, you ruin it by the bumps and scraps a guitar gets in it's life. So, do you buy it as a collectable, or a great guitar?

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Grove is a moron, that we can all agree on. Ibanez did about 1500 of these in the HRG series. It included the RG and the Iceman. I believe there was a destroyer version, but haven't seen one. They are collectable, but what kills it for me, is that if you actually play it, you ruin it by the bumps and scraps a guitar gets in it's life. So, do you buy it as a collectable, or a great guitar?
I'm only a bedroom/small-group-jam player, so my guitars don't see real "action" that could damage them. The Iceman gets into rotation on a regular basis. It does play great. Grove keeps going on about how it is a horrible guitar and impossible to play because the fret markers are hard to see. While they are hidden by the binding on the neck, after playing guitar for 33+ I think I know where all the frets are now:D

Latest Threads