Guy pissed cause I bought his guitar to help him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OP's under no obligation to ask The Original Seller if he wanted to buy it back.

But it wouldn't have hurt, either.

mdubya

Reaction score
Caveat Emptor, always.

Learn it, live it. To avoid the butthurt.

fast-times.jpg

It is too bad about the deal, but what you had to do to raise the money for the guitar should have no bearing on your feelings about the deal. That was your choice.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No is wishing bad luck here to anyone, but
Sheet happens. You man up and deal with it.

A good friend gave me this pearl: " Life is tough - Wear a Helmet".

No argument and no question. Just don't see the need for the "pile on" mentality a lot of posts had.

StonedCrow

Reaction score
I must say that this thread with all it's drama is one of the main reasons that I don't buy anything second hand, and on the rare occasion that I do, it is from a reputable shop with a no quible cast iron return policy that has a good if not great reputation for that policy, and quite frankly buying from a forum, though I sure most of the transactions are fine and have no problems, is something I would never consider doing, to the point where i don't even look through the classifieds even out of pure curiosity.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If he needed really fast cash - Guitar Center and the local pawn shops are the quickest.
I would wager large sums, he would have gotten even less at those places. AND, if I had to make a hard choice to sell a prized possession for less than it is worth, those places are the LAST I would want to profit from it.

Even the local Craigslist is quicker and in a cash transaction.
Going to disagree. We also have no idea he didn't also have it listed there. But have you tried selling gear on CL lately? SLOW moving. Even at GOOD prices, I've had stuff sit for weeks over the last 3-4 months.

PayPal also takes a couple of days.
Nope. Not if you have a verified account. Monies sent to me are available immediately for me.

The questions begs, did he actually sell it for less than true value?
Op says he bought ot for less than market value, and selling it for more (albeit hasn't sold) to make up for his quick sell losses on the custom sale/rebuy. So, yea, I think we can say he did.

Heisenberg

Reaction score
That's the risk you take when you pay cash. If you were to go through ebay/paypal, you'd have buyer protection even if the seller doesn't "accept" returns. They always side with the buyer in cases like yours. If what you say is true, then technically the seller was in the wrong listing it that way. From the seller's perspective it looks like you talked him way down, knowing he was desperate, only to turn right around and flip it for more money. Screw that guy though. And even if those were your intentions (which I don't think they were), he's the one that listed it for sale, and he could have turned down your offer.

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
I have a friend who sold his prize Corvette for 2/3 the value cause he had cancer. He had health insurance and just decided that the car wasn't a priority anymore and not knowing how things would turn out didn't want his wife to end up with the hassle of having to deal with later. He could have asked more and waited a bit to sell. It was his decision to make a fast sale. The car sold for a fast $85,000.00 cash money. The new owner sold it in less than four days for $125,000.00 and it pissed a lot of people off within the club. When asked if he was steaming mad about it my friend said no. Everyone told him that he was wronged but he wouldn't hear of it. He said he had no one to blame but himself and that he could have waited a bit but he was doing his treatments and didn't want the distraction. Plus reminded others about some slick deals they made buying and selling cars from widow's, the ill, and people in dire financial situations. The car was worth an easy $150,000.00 and the new owner ended up selling less than a year later because of a divorce and he loss $30,000.00 on it. He didn't complain about it other than to say he shouldn't have bought it. :wow:

agiehler

Reaction score
The only way I could see this as shady from your end of the deal is if you deceived the seller in any way. For example...if you were begging him for money off the asking price because you just didn't quite have enough cash but it was the guitar of your dreams and you have cancer and blah blah. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would wager large sums, he would have gotten even less at those places. AND, if I had to make a hard choice to sell a prized possession for less than it is worth, those places are the LAST I would want to profit from it.

The point was about a quick sale - not the price.

Going to disagree. We also have no idea he didn't also have it listed there. But have you tried selling gear on CL lately? SLOW moving. Even at GOOD prices, I've had stuff sit for weeks over the last 3-4 months.

No secret that I support the habit buying and selling all the time ( waiting to snipe an Ebay listing as I write this ) - but CL has been doing me very well lately. Again - the point was speed of sale - below market - CL is very quick.

Nope. Not if you have a verified account. Monies sent to me are available immediately for me.

To your PP account - not to your bank for a cash withdraw - 3 to 5 business days. Again time is the point

Op says he bought ot for less than market value, and selling it for more (albeit hasn't sold) to make up for his quick sell losses on the custom sale/rebuy. So, yea, I think we can say he did.

Love to find out - but it was not snapped up - so????? Inquireing minds want to know :)

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Love to find out - but it was not snapped up - so????? Inquireing minds want to know :)

Sorry, but I can withdraw from my PP account to my bank in no more than 1 day. Depends on what time of day, I withdraw. That is what having a verified account is all about dude. Yep.

And CL sales are slow, now even under market value. In fact, over the last 6 months you won't sell unless it is below market value, or true value. Have a guitar at a bit below it's vale. Been there 3 weeks+ now. THis in three markets

Just cause you say it, and put it in a hard to read color, doesn't make it real, or change my experience. Sorry.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So a guy on here sold me a guitar, a nice guitar for less than he wanted but he needed the cash. Of course we negotiated an agreed upon price. I was excited and sold a number of my guitars to fund this guitar, including my #1 for years (just a lowly LP Classic). I sold it for about half what it's worth locally for some quick cash and a few other nice ones I wanted to hang onto but I also didn't wanna miss this one of a kind guitar.

So the guitar shows up, first thing I notice is it's packaged horribly. The box was cut from a larger box with just enough room inside to fit the case, no packaging materials of any kind at all. By far the worst packaging of any guitar I've purchased online, bought a $150 squier once for my sister and it was packaged better. This guitar cost 18X that.

I take the guitar out of the case and I'm nervous, LPs have had their necks/nuts crack/break with even better packaging than this. Luckily no break though, however the switch tip falls off right away. It lands on the carpet, I go to pick it up and it's in half. I assume it cracked in transit as later I found a little piece of it in the case. I was not 100% sure this was not my fault so I didn't wanna make a stink about it.

I go over the guitar and it's not as described. I bought it fro 3 main reasons: the finish, the neck profile and the weight. The weight was 1.5-2 lbs more than advertised, the neck profile is not as advertised as it was a bit fatter. By now I am not happy but I've never had to leave anyone bad feedback on the forums. I just chose to move on and not deal with the guy I bought it from.

I instantly regretted selling my other guitars and luckily I was able to get my #1 back but I had to pay market value for it. I did not complain nor get angry at the guy, hell I was happy he was willing to sell it back to me. I can't get the other ones I sold back as they are elsewhere in the USA now and the new owners wanna keep them.

So I list the LP that just arrived for sale as I had to spend money I didn't want to nor could afford to so I could buy my old #1 back. Old owner sees the ad and contacts me telling me that I took advantage of him cause he needed the money and that he'll "never forgive me". I was just WTF? From my perspective I did him a favor, a HUGE favor. He needed the cash, obviously I had the best offer or else he would've sold to someone else. So I'm asking market value for his guitar and he's angry because he sold it to me for less than that.

So am I the asshole here? I'm confused, guy needed cash so we negotiated a price and I paid. It wasn't what I expected nor wanted and now I'm trying to sell it for market value. So far it's been a bad experience, the LP is in no way a bad LP in fact it is the nicest LP I've ever had, just not what I expected. Also looking at that LP now reminds me of all the issues I had and now even more so because the original owner is coming at me with all this crap now.

First of all, forget about the switch tip. It's a non-issue. If you insist it's an issue, then you're a bit "retentive" in the lower regions, and shouldn't be buying guitars sight unseen through the mail. If such things mean that much, then you should go to a physical shop and inspect the instrument to your heart's desire, and get exactly what you want.

It's a switch tip. Get another one.

Secondly, okay so it was poorly-packaged. If the packaging (and therefore packager) were the cause of damage (other than the switch tip), then you should have returned it right then and there. If you bought without some form of guarantee against damage through insurance, agreement between buyer/seller, etc then the exchange was poorly planned.

Now, for the warm fuzzies.

If it were misrepresented, both or either with regards to weight or dimensions (neck profile), then it should go back. You should get what you pay for.

Next, the guy. He'll "never forgive you"? He ought to look himself in the mirror when he says that, because he lied to you. It was heavier than told, and a different neck profile than told? -Then he lied to make a sale.

Who gives a dang if he doesn't forgive you?

Lifelong pals, are ya?

Been through thick and thin?

Fought side-by-side with you against an evil that would surely destroy the world?

Does he "have your back, bro?"

-Decidedly not. You don't owe him a damn thing.

You're trying to recoup your losses (which BTW sound significant) by offing the gilded turd he duped you into buying for sale in order to set right again what was set wrong.

Send him a photo of you in Vegas, at a hot-tub party with hot and cold running chicks, cigars and champagne.

When I strike a deal with someone about a guitar sent over the post, we discuss the shipping and packaging. If I'm going to ship it, I don't ship unless it's in a hard case. We negotiate the final price with that as a factor.

I also fully guarantee whatever I make for someone. If they are not happy, they can send it back, shipping on them. I'll refund the money for the guitar. But I make sure they are going to be happy, that they know *exactly* what they are getting and provide full and accurate disclosure and pictures in fine detail prior to the deal being finished. I also insure the package. Yes, things cost more that way, but it's well worth any sour grapes and hard feelings that either one of us will avoid by doing so.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
First of all, forget about the switch tip. It's a non-issue. If you insist it's an issue, then you're a bit "retentive" in the lower regions, and shouldn't be buying guitars sight unseen through the mail. If such things mean that much, then you should go to a physical shop and inspect the instrument to your heart's desire, and get exactly what you want.

It's a switch tip. Get another one.

Secondly, okay so it was poorly-packaged. If the packaging (and therefore packager) were the cause of damage (other than the switch tip), then you should have returned it right then and there. If you bought without some form of guarantee against damage through insurance, agreement between buyer/seller, etc then the exchange was poorly planned.

Now, for the warm fuzzies.

If it were misrepresented, both or either with regards to weight or dimensions (neck profile), then it should go back. You should get what you pay for.

Next, the guy. He'll "never forgive you"? He ought to look himself in the mirror when he says that, because he lied to you. It was heavier than told, and a different neck profile than told? -Then he lied to make a sale.

Who gives a dang if he doesn't forgive you?

Lifelong pals, are ya?

Been through thick and thin?

Fought side-by-side with you against an evil that would surely destroy the world?

Does he "have your back, bro?"

-Decidedly not. You don't owe him a damn thing.

You're trying to recoup your losses (which BTW sound significant) by offing the gilded turd he duped you into buying for sale in order to set right again what was set wrong.

Send him a photo of you in Vegas, at a hot-tub party with hot and cold running chicks, cigars and champagne.

When I strike a deal with someone about a guitar sent over the post, we discuss the shipping and packaging. If I'm going to ship it, I don't ship unless it's in a hard case. We negotiate the final price with that as a factor.

I also fully guarantee whatever I make for someone. If they are not happy, they can send it back, shipping on them. I'll refund the money for the guitar. But I make sure they are going to be happy, that they know *exactly* what they are getting and provide full and accurate disclosure and pictures in fine detail prior to the deal being finished. I also insure the package. Yes, things cost more that way, but it's well worth any sour grapes and hard feelings that either one of us will avoid by doing so.

Excellent post. I agree that it should have been dealt with the moment the guitar came and the buyer noticed it was not as described.

1983lp

Reaction score
Ok.. I'll chime in

I never said I won't "forgive him" ... I did say I won't "forget this" .. Meaning I won't deal with him again.

Secondly , I have ALL of our messages back and forth, and NO WHERE in my ad or our email did we even talk about weight.

Here was my message after the new buyer ( paid $3500 , talked him down from the listed price of $4000 ) contacted me. Yes, I was pissed, I'm human. Yes I gave up my right when I sold it, I'll apologize for that.

Make some money on that Les Paul??? Not cool dude . If I thought u where going to flip it I would've kept it . I needed the money worse than u did. Way to take advantage of me!!!!!!

I'll remember this,

B

Here was his reply

Could you be a bigger drama queen? Ever wonder why I never messaged you after I got the guitar? I was not happy and I've never had to leave bad feedback on the forums before.

I bought it for 3 reasons: R0 60 neck, weight and the finish looked more like bullion gold than the normal goldtop. Only one of those reasons checked out and that was the finish. The guitar weighs about 9 lbs not 7 as you stated. Weighed it on two different digital scales they were both around 9. I have guitars I know weigh around 7 lbs and this one does not weight that. I played 60s necks exclusively and my #1 had a 60 neck I played for over a decade. This guitar does not have a 60 neck, it's more like a R9.

Besides that I sold my #1 for a steal to afford this guitar. Luckily I sold it locally and was able to buy it back from the guy but for market value, much more than I sold it for so I could buy your guitar. Did I complain to this guy and tell him I'd never forgive him? So now I have a $1500 hole in my account.

The guitar was the most poorly packaged guitar I have ever received. No packaging and just a cut up cardboard box. When it arrived I took it out to check it out, the switch tip fell on the floor and when I went to grab it it was cracked in half. It fell on shag carpeting, also why would it fall off at all? I wasn't 100% sure I didn't step on it myself so I didn't bother you with it.

Looking at your guitar reminds me of all the issues and it's not the guitar's fault. I did you a favor by buying your guitar and here you are being a total asshole. Your guitar was not as described and considering I sold my #1 for it I was not happy.

Also after someone buys something who the hell cares what they do with it, it's no longer yours and you got your money, way to be an asshole though.

Classy on both parts right?

The guitar made it safely , so it was packaged safely. Being packed "well" and " to your liking " are very different.

Also, you hated it "so much" that you never ever reached out to let me know .

You did me a favor?? Here's how it looks to me

You bought my guitar for $2700 shipped .

You only list it on Craigslist , no forums anywhere, for $4000 .

It sold for $3500

In your craigslist post you describe the neck as between an R9 and an R0 , but you're saying I missrepressented it? Saying it wasn't the "gold top" you thought it was? Dude ..

It just looked shady, so I reacted . Sorry

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I live in NYC metro - and I can't answer for IL - but again, quite well for me, especially over the last 6 weeks.

My PP is verified for 10+ years - I deal with Bank of America - typical for me is 3 days when I get the deposit email notification. 1 day or 3, still longer than a cash transaction.

You were making the point that the guy was really desperate and needed to move very quickly. My point is by virtue of fact that there were negotiations, shipping, and Paypal involved, time may have been an important issue, it was not critically urgent.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok we're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads