Guy pissed cause I bought his guitar to help him out

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire

Reaction score
I have the same opinion as the others. It's yours to do with as you please. You could be extra nice to the guy and offer to sell it back for cost plus shipping. But since you feel it wasn't properly described, you'll have gone through a bunch of hassle just to be back where you started less your losses for your other transactions (which are not the sellers fault).

So again, I say sell it for what you want. No reason to hold a grudge against the seller or call him out (which you haven't).

As far as the misrepresentation. Neck shapes are really hard to describe or even measure. A few thousands of an inch makes a noticeable difference. Sure a 50's vs a 60' slim is a big difference, but other than that it is subjective.

Weight on the other hand is easy to measure. What I would suggest to anyone where something like weight really matters, is ask a seller how they measured the weight. If they used their bathroom scale, it's going to be a crap shoot.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Tell the guy you'll never forgive HIM for misrepping the guitar and putting you through so much trouble. And that you want your money back with interest.

Bet he doesnt contact you again.

Scubaman

Reaction score
Nothing you did is wrong. You offered a price, he agreed, deal done.

Having said that I can understand his pain if it was a loved guitar which he thought was going to someone who would cherish it the way he did and they then just sold it on.

Understanding his pain doesn't change the fact that once the deal is made and cash has changed hands it's yours to do what you wish with it. You could use it for fire wood if you want.

Having said that I recently bought an amp off a friend which I know he really didn't want to sell but had rationalised that it HAD to go. I'd been after it for 7 years and he let me have it for, not only less than it was worth, but less than several others had offered him for it on the basis that it was going to a good home where it would be used and cherished (see my post in the Squawk Box re my NAD Mig 50) - I only agreed on the basis that if he got sellers remorse he could have it back for what I paid for it and, if I ever sold it (highly unlikely) he would have first dibs on it.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake of misprinting a weight and the seller wasn't happy....I very happily refunded him after looking like a noob...and I took the hit on the shipping. That's how it works, you have to be up front about full and accurate disclosure....I would have done the same.... and it wont happen on my end again...

Neck size / measures; ....since neck FEEL is such a Subjective area...The objective measures are the only way to deal with that....what's comfy to me might be impossible for you....know your comfort zone...

I think twice if the seller says something like "whatever...it feels good to me"

The switch tip is a risk and I have seen that as well, not a big deal, but it should have been removed and placed in the case compartment, before shipment.....care in packaging is a big indicator. There was no forethought, and no care for his service to you.

Insurance for neck breaks....always....

Other than that I never had a big issue with buying or selling, and I do a lot of it....

As far as sale price and resale afterwards....its yours to do with as you please.

You sound like a compassionate guy. Don't worry about it, I have sold things under priced and saw them go for more. And it can be distressing to see your mistake unfold....

what you did wrong was not stand and work out the problems at delivery ...therefore they have become irrelevant.

vangkm

Reaction score
I did not contact him to give him a courtesy note because I already had a bad taste in my mouth from the way it was shipped, the switch tip issue, the other issues that it was not as described. I just figured I'd suck it up, move on and never deal with the guy again. I asked him to package it well and he literally did the opposite. He did the absolute minimum on the packaging. It shows me he just does not give a crap, I wouldn't ship a $100 guitar out this way let alone a $2K+ one.

As others have said I don't like feeling like I wronged someone even if I don't believe I did. Even if they were a jerk to me. If I feel like someone wronged me I just move on and don't deal with that person again, which is what I chose to do.

I am not trying to make a huge profit, I will take the first offer that comes and restores me back to before I bought this guitar (which includes the extra amount I spent to get my old LP back).

sk8rat

Reaction score
its about perspective really. to him it looks like you bought it cheap for a quick profit even though you say that's not the case. you paid the guy, he accepted it so tell him to f*ck off.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Link to ad?

Seems to me the original owner should be glad you didn't stick it to him with a paypal claim.

vangkm

Reaction score
its about perspective really. to him it looks like you bought it cheap for a quick profit even though you say that's not the case. you paid the guy, he accepted it so tell him to f*ck off.

It is but he should've asked me why I was selling it instead of assuming. Not only that but what does it matter now that it is not his? And for him to say he'll "never forgive me" is just over the top.

I realize ppl have attachments to guitars, I went through a huge hassle just to get my old LP back so I understand. However I did not get angry at the guy I sold it to nor did I expect him to sell it back to me for what I sacrificed it for.

ZWILDZR1

Reaction score
You don't have anything to be sorry for at all other than the guy you helped out doesn't know how to correctly relate the details of what he is selling. So many when it comes to weight are way off. They will use some old dial bathroom scale or a new digital one and it's like God spoke and don't question. Unless they used an accurate scale like the one we used at the SSA warehouse in Baltimore or one made and calibrated for shipping the weight is probably not accurate. As far as you taking advantage of this guy he needs to grow the hell up. In the real world things happen and not everyone has cash stashed away for those emergency things that come up like, car repair bills, repair bills in general, unscheduled Dr. visits or whatever. Many people live pay check to pay check and buy things they can't really afford. That isn't your problem. Whatever the reason he needed quick cash is on him not you. I'm sorry but I am sick of people who blame others when they are forced to sell things to pay their bills. Like I said these people need to get over it and join the rest of us in the grown up world. No matter what if he wants to place blame he should put it where it needs to be. Either as fate or on himself. He could have said no and asked for more money but he didn't. He put it out there that he needed money and fast. On him totally no one else to blame. Sorry it wasn't as advertised but this happens so often with things you buy unseen and from the internet. At least with Craigslist if you don't get killed, or held up if it's not as advertised you can leave without buying. :D

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once the money changed hands, he does not have a dog in the fight. Period.

His sale to you means nothing. Does not enter into the equation either once the money changes hands.

It is yours to do as you see fit. There was no contract past the sale. End of story.

You could set it on fire in your front yard if you wish.

You can't sweat stuff you have no control over...unless you just love eating Alka Seltzer Chewies...

He sold it to you at a good price because he needed money quick, NOT because y'all were double first buddies....

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
(putting on fire fighting suit).

K, going to give a different perspective.

I will first preface my statements with, OP had no obligations, nor did anything not within his rights to do.

HOWEVER,

I'm going to assume the seller was in distress in some way. Ergo the need for cash, quick, and the selling at less than market value. Not having the particulars, we don't know how much lower. I think a lot are assuming it was not that much. But, what if it was bought for, say 50% of it's normal market value?

Suffice it to say, seller sold it at a price, he never would have, if not for being in whatever situation he was/is in.

He has NO idea of anything the OP mentioned. So, from his viewpoint he sees someone buying his guitar, for under value, because he is in some kind of dire straits, then immediately selling it for more. that is ALL he sees.

In other words, from the seller's viewpoint, with the info he has, it looks like someone taking advantage of his situation to be mercenary. I.E. profit from his misfortune.

I can understand his reaction, given that.

And, going to throw this out. What if his cash need is because he has a very sick child, no insurance, and needs the money for medical treatment? Or any other similar situation?

Again, OP fairly bought the guitar and thus can do what he wants with it. But, I think it is a little unfair to vilify the past owner like some are doing.

six-string

Reaction score
i will count myself among the lucky ones.
i have bought and sold and traded through this forum.
for some very pricey guitars too- no kidding.

so far all transactions have been straight and good for all involved.
no complaints from me and i've heard nothing but positive from others.
yes there is always risk.

i hope that you and the other party can sort things out reasonably and move on.
if not, i hope that you at least work things out in your favor by selling the guitar and recouping your money.
IMHO MLP is a good place. i hope it can stay that way.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words, from the seller's viewpoint, with the info he has, it looks like someone taking advantage of his situation to be mercenary. I.E. profit from his misfortune.

sellers viewpoint means nothing, once the dollah dollah billz change
hands. he can sit quietly and stew about it all he wants. in the end
though, the seller has ZERO right to contact the purchaser with a
WTF email.

/thread

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This will turn out well.

8XYC7Ol.jpg

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sellers viewpoint means nothing, once the dollah dollah billz change
hands. he can sit quietly and stew about it all he wants. in the end
though, the seller has ZERO right to contact the purchaser with a
WTF email.

/thread

Hmm, by your logic, OP/Buyer has zero right to start a single-sided, guilt assuaging thread too.

Never said, seller didn't make his choices, and has to live by them. I just don't get the mob attack on the guy by you all.

Really hope many of you aren't ever in a bad spot, and have to make a hard choice and sell a prize guitar, perhaps one you scrimped and saved, etc for, then sold too fast and too low, because of that, to someone you hoped would enjoy it, and not just be taking advantage of your misfortune.

AND, if you do, really hope you don't get ganged up on and ridiculed here or elsewhere about the bad feelings you WILL have at that point.

Lot of heartless, mercenary souls in here tonight. Kind of depressing.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
(putting on fire fighting suit).

K, going to give a different perspective.

I will first preface my statements with, OP had no obligations, nor did anything not within his rights to do.

HOWEVER,

I'm going to assume the seller was in distress in some way. Ergo the need for cash, quick, and the selling at less than market value. Not having the particulars, we don't know how much lower. I think a lot are assuming it was not that much. But, what if it was bought for, say 50% of it's normal market value?

Suffice it to say, seller sold it at a price, he never would have, if not for being in whatever situation he was/is in.

He has NO idea of anything the OP mentioned. So, from his viewpoint he sees someone buying his guitar, for under value, because he is in some kind of dire straits, then immediately selling it for more. that is ALL he sees.

I can understand his reaction, given that.

And, going to throw this out. What if his cash need is because he has a very sick child, no insurance, and needs the money for medical treatment? Or any other similar situation?

Again, OP fairly bought the guitar and thus can do what he wants with it. But, I think it is a little unfair to vilify the past owner like some are doing.

All valid points about the seller's needs for cash, but emotional sympathy kicks in. If he needed really fast cash - Guitar Center and the local pawn shops are the quickest. Even the local Craigslist is quicker and in a cash transaction.

Some negotiations went back and forth and the time taken to box and ship,so it was not a severe time element - PayPal also takes a couple of days.. The questions begs, did he actually sell it for less than true value?

While none of our business, what the OP actually gets for this guitar in resale, may not be what he now thinks in market value. Will he be able to recoup 1/2 the value of the Classic he sold / rebought?

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmm, by your logic, OP/Buyer has zero right to start a single-sided, guilt assuaging thread too.

Never said, seller didn't make his choices, and has to live by them. I just don't get the mob attack on the guy by you all.

Really hope many of you aren't ever in a bad spot, and have to make a hard choice and sell a prize guitar, perhaps one you scrimped and saved, etc for, then sold too fast and too low, because of that, to someone you hoped would enjoy it, and not just be taking advantage of your misfortune.

AND, if you do, really hope you don't get ganged up on and ridiculed here or elsewhere about the bad feelings you WILL have at that point.

Lot of heartless, mercenary souls in here tonight. Kind of depressing.

No is wishing bad luck here to anyone, but
Sheet happens. You man up and deal with it.

A good friend gave me this pearl: " Life is tough - Wear a Helmet".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads