Gun sales on the rise in Colorado

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...AR-15) is a pleasure to shoot, easy to use, dead nuts accurate and beautiful to look at. Most of the issues with the M-16 were fixed a long time ago and I know how to keep it clean and functioning well, so I don't have a problem with it.

Yes, despite my bad associations with my in-country issued early M-16, I have come back around to the AR-15 as my favorite modular platform for what I do now (punching holes in paper targets at various ranges, with various upper receiver/barrel/optic combinations).

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Soo.... Some psycho in a Prius mows down 30 or 40 people in line to go see a movie. :shock:

Can we ban hybrids??:hmm:

Soooo.. a psycho mows down 30 or 40 people driving his corvette?? Can we fine GM and stop 'vette production?:lol:

This clown broke 100+ "gun" laws. So we ban guns. The next @55hole climbs in a used Suburban (like an early 80's model, made outta STEEL) and plays out "deathrace".

You CAN'T plan around a psycho. You can have security measures, a cop at every entrance, metal detectors and some drugged up a$$wipe hellbent on getting somebody is going to make it happen.

I wish I could like this post a few more times!

cwness

Reaction score
Yep.

Pretty soon here, NGD will mean something different than it used to.:slash:
It's always meant new gun to me I don't buy new guitars just used.

This guy made more sense then all the TV media together. The laser sight
info was dead on. I've said I have laser sight on all my guns and get the
argument that night sight are just as good. It's just not true and I can
prove to any one. Time to hit and accuracy aren't even close.

Best post so far.

So rather than try to help people become more informed, you lord your supposed superior knowledge over them like a carrot on a stick, relishing in their ignorance. That's a great way to promote your gun culture. Instead of being a stereotype with the "hur durr wikipedia is rong im rite!" bullshit, why not, in a respectful and informative manner, correct the information? Maybe use some reputable sources, rather than the "Because I said so" bullshit that doesn't fly with anyone over the age of six. As it stands, I'd trust Wikipedia's information over anything you could say for the simple fact that you're an asshole about it.

Bertzie quit the trolling. First you troll on the word auto when you new
what the difference was yet you play with symantics. Then you move
your trolling to the Wiki info.

I just can't let all this AR love go without a helping of the other side's contribution. Century Arms (no canted sights) Polish 1960, Krebs enhanced safety, Ultimak rail and cheapo red dot. I'll probably throw a cheap palm swell lower guard on there after I get back for a little more comfort. Since the pic, it's gotten one of those nice rubber Hogue grips. Love it.

The bayonet never fit properly so after about an hour with the Dremel, I was so stoked I tossed it on for the pic.

262381_10150306842421117_577096116_9594699_5057506_n.jpg

264401_10150306842801117_577096116_9594707_838857_n.jpg

I see many thousands of spam can rounds in my future.

Great gun had both of mine since the mid 80's and still have over a
dozen of the cans left that I bought for about 39 bucks apiece.

Dude, the gun guys here were giving you the straight dope without any butthurt.

Why so sad?

Classic Thump:thumb:

Yeah, Mal - I dunno.

As far as the beauty thing goes - in my opinion, the AK is butt-fxcking ugly.

(Sorry guys!) :wave:

They are the cigar-box guitar version of a rifle.
The Gibson BFG Les Paul is a jewel by comparison.

Ok Neo this is where I have to draw the line. The finest weapon ever
made and you call it ugly. Why I should:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I saw this on Drudge this morning and it pretty much sums it all up:

Somebody actually has some sense.

I'm sad for the victims and their families and my heart reaches out to them . I couldn't imagine losing a loved one or giving my life to save my son, girlfriend, wife or friend at a friggin movie theatre. What appalls me is that that othe media has became a pack of ghouls frothing at the mouth to make up a story that fits an agenda.

and dig this..... We've got yet ANOTHER "out of their mind" PHD material student/savant/overachevier who NOBODY expected this horror from...:wow:..AND has 6000 plus rounds of ammo, bombs in his apartment:hmm:, para military equipment and a $25000 grant from the government. :cool:

I'm trying to keep the tin foil hat at bay, but if it smells like bulls1t..

LET ME GOOGLE THAT

Your right about this right after the brother the host had the Sherriffs
against Illegal guns on. Not kidding one bit. This Sheriff's group is called
against Illegal guns yet thinks writing more laws will stop Illegal guns
No agenda here.

I appreciate the AK-47 because it's ridiculously simple and it works very well.

But as a former Armorer while in the Army, I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled so many M-16's it became my favorite weapon by a long shot. I can disassemble an M-16 in the dark in less than 30 seconds, and doing so helped me earn a 100% inspection score and a medal. At the range, I never qualified anything less than Expert with the M-16.

IMHO, the M16 (or AR-15) is a pleasure to shoot, easy to use, dead nuts accurate and beautiful to look at. Most of the issues with the M-16 were fixed a long time ago and I know how to keep it clean and functioning well, so I don't have a problem with it.

I like my AR's also but there is no comparison when it come to which is better.
That's why all the new tech is just the old tech from the AK. You know
a piston rod instead of gas so the chamber stays cleaner. You basically
just wipe the gun off.

CW

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
we shall agree to disagree. :laugh2:

things i like on the AK:

Easy to breakdown
Cheap ammo

Things I hate:
The safety
heavy metal mags
mags are harder to insert vs ar
no bolt catch
the sights
the cheek weld

ARs can get pretty freakin' dirty before they malfunction; just ask Pat Rodgers. And who, especially in the civvy or even LE realm, will actually shoot an AR to the point that a dirty chamber will matter?

I agree with Deftone; the problems with the AR platform were resolved a long time ago. I've read reports of issues GIs have had with sand...but it seems that using a different lube from CLP will help that.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
They're giving their opinions, not objective facts. And I haven't seen very many sources cited. Have you?

You realize that facts can be expounded even when no sources are presented, right?

I mean, you can tell me your hair is black. Is it only a fact if it's supported by Wiki? No, it's a fact which I will choose to either accept, or not. I have no reason to doubt what you tell me about your hair.

They're giving you facts. The fact that those facts don't have a Wiki link embedded in them doesn't make them any less a fact.

Here, let's see what the OED says. I draw your attention to the last denotation ("The truth about events, as opposed to interpretation"):

fact Pronunciation: /fakt/ noun

• a thing that is known or proved to be true: the most commonly known fact about hedgehogs is that they have fleas [mass noun]: a body of fact
  • (facts) information used as evidence or as part of a report or news article: even the most inventive journalism peters out without facts, and in this case there were no facts
  • (the fact that) used to refer to a particular situation under discussion: despite the fact that I’m so tired, sleep is elusive
  • [mass noun] chiefly Law the truth about events as opposed to interpretation: there was a question of fact as to whether they had received the letter

Definition of fact - fact, information and law

opinion Pronunciation: /əˈpɪnjən/ noun

• 1a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge: that, in my opinion, is right the area’s residents share vociferous opinions about the future
  • [mass noun] the beliefs or views of a group or majority of people: the changing climate of opinion
  • an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something: I had a higher opinion of myself than I deserved
  • 2a statement of advice by an expert on a professional matter: if in doubt, get a second opinion
  • Law a barrister’s advice on the merits of a case: the solicitor took counsel’s opinion
  • Law a formal statement of reasons for a judgement given: a dissenting opinion adjudged that the government had the right to protect ‘the symbolic value of the flag’

Definition of opinion - Oxford Dictionaries (British & World English)

An assertion as to which gun is best for which job would be an opinion. An assertion as to what constitutes "fully automatic" is a fact -- even if the citation isn't presented with the fact at the time of the post. Opinions are prescriptive. Facts are reportorial.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Things I hate:
The safety
heavy metal mags
no bolt catch
the sights
the cheek weld

Same here. I was able to correct some of this by purchasing zytel magazines, retrofitting an aftermarket stock the the rifle, and installing a set of peep sights. I couldn't do anything about that noisy safety switch, and of all the things I dislike about AK-type rifles, the lack of a bolt catch is its most fatal flaw. So I corrected what I could, and lived with the rest of it.

I agree with Deftone; the problems with the AR platform were resolved a long time ago. I've read reports of issues GIs have had with sand...but it seems that using a different lube from CLP will help that.

Hard not to agree with Deftone most of the time! But it was member Dan who convinced me that things had improved. Like Sonar-- who was stuck with M16-A Nothing rifles in actual combat, I was stuck with the still-unreliable M16A1 and absolutely detested its finicky, jam-prone nature. I was delighted when they made me a machinegunner, even though it meant I would be lugging a 23-pound M60 around in the field instead of the much lighter M16.

Dan actually got me to go out and look at AR-style rifles once again, however, and made a few recommendations. And though I was favorably impressed enough to actually have been shopping for an AR, the rifle I brought home with me was actually a Bushmaster ACR, which I liked even better than the myriad AR rifles they had on hand in the store.

My favorite thing about the Bushy was that it utilizes an gas piston/operating rod setup and got away from the direct gas blowback style of the AR platform. This causes it to have a little bit more recoil than the AR does... but hey: when we're talking about zero recoil in the AR to begin with, what's an extra, very minor jolt entail? Answer: the recoil is next to nothing, especially when compared to the much harder-hitting .270 Winchester I fire out of a bolt action rifle when shooting for sheer accuracy at Ye Olde Shooting Range...

Here are my two media-sensationalist's nightmare rifles:

compare.jpg

Neither one of them is guilty of much of anything other than being sort of ugly. But then: I really didn't buy them for their looks or their gee-whiz potential. As I said in another post elsewither: I tend to regard firearms as tools to begin with, and am seldom as interested in their appearance as in their mechanical functioning.

I really love my Bushmaster (thanks, Dan!) and though I've had the Maadi RML since... about 1986... the ACR rifle is superior to it in so many ways that the RML tends to slumber in my weapons safe more often than not.

Months since I've been to the range to fire either of them though. Mainly, I tend to stay at home and play my guitar instead these days.

--R

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Which one is the "Assault Rifle" in the two pics below?

ruger_mini_14_gb___223_rem__1661.jpg

Ruger Mini-14

colt-ar15-sp1-intero-copia.jpg

Colt AR-15

Somebody, choose one and explain the difference to the gun dummies.

formula73

Reaction score
we shall agree to disagree. :laugh2:

things i like on the AK:

Easy to breakdown
Cheap ammo

Things I hate:
The safety
heavy metal mags
no bolt catch
the sights
the cheek weld

ARs can get pretty freakin' dirty before they malfunction; just ask Pat Rodgers. And who, especially in the civvy or even LE realm, will actually shoot an AR to the point that a dirty chamber will matter?

Funny thing...the ammo ain't so cheap, anymore. On the plus side, however, there are Yugo mags that hold the bolt open but it does slam shut again once you drop it for a new one. Yugos also have a safety with a BHO slot cut in but flipping up the safety, dropping/replacing the mag, then flipping the safety off seems a bit complicated. My safety has a similar cut so I may pick up a few of the Yugo mags just to mess around with it. There's also a company called Tech Sights that makes a rear flip aperture for the AK that fits in the rear trunnion and supposedly, the picture is so much better that a quality AK (Saiga, Molot, Bulgy Arsenal) can be a MOA rifle.

Crazy, huh?

I never noticed the magazines being much heavier than ARs, though the 7.62x39 round certainly is compared to a 5.56.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Ruger Mini-14

Colt AR-15

Yer the devil, Neo! :laugh2:

I know the answer to your question-- but since I am not a "gun dummy" I figure I am exempt from offering a reply.

--R

bertzie

Reaction score

Ruger Mini-14

Colt AR-15

Which ever one is being used to assault people?

Blackegg

Reaction score

Ruger Mini-14

Colt AR-15

"yes". :naughty:

--> will actually wait for more amusing answers :laugh2:

tag2

Reaction score
Aw hell, I guess I'll jump in. :)

First, I wouldn't use Wiki as a trusted source of firearms knowledge. In the industry, the term "assault rifle", is not really used. It is more of a term improperly used by the media and guberment.

As far as the photos posted about which is an "assault rifle", the Colt has a bayonet lug which is one of the guberment's evil features for their definition.

Semi-Automatic = Auto-Loading

Automatic = Machine Gun

This is truly a tragic event that was realized through mental illness and evil. Not guns, ammunition, knives, fire or the car that he drove to the crime scene. Evil men will always do evil things. Mass killings and crime are as old as mankind itself. Evil will always find a method.

Gun laws, like many laws, are mostly ineffective. The only people that obey gun laws are the people that don't need to be regulated. The criminals, mentally ill and idiots don't bother with laws. A good example is a "NO GUNS" sign. If a proprietor puts that on his business door, safe and legal gun owners cannot go in there with their legal, concealed weapon. But, it is an open season sign for a badguy. He knows it is unlikely anybody will shoot back in that store.

I think society has to take responsibility for some of these crimes. We have heard cases of family members or friends knowing the shooter was unstable and owned or had access to firearms. Not in all cases, but sometimes. Letting D.C. legislate the problem away will never happen and will only cost lives and lots of tax payer money.

JMV

Reaction score
All black rifles are assault rifles, Neo! You should know that. :naughty:

bertzie

Reaction score
So in the instance that someone used a Winchester model 70 in 30-06 to shoot people, you would consider it an assault rifle? :eek:

Well that would certainly make sense, wouldn't it? It's certainly not a cuddle rifle.

Latest Threads