Gun Control: Here's an idea - let's ask the cops!

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
Gun Control: Here's an idea - let's ask the cops! :hmm:

WHERE POLICE STAND ON AMERICA’S HOTTEST ISSUE

In March, PoliceOne conducted the most comprehensive survey ever of
American law enforcement officers’ opinions on the topic gripping the nation's
attention in recent weeks: gun control.

More than 15,000 verified law enforcement professionals took part in the
survey, which aimed to bring together the thoughts and opinions of the only
professional group devoted to limiting and defeating gun violence as part of
their sworn responsibility.

Totaling just shy of 30 questions, the survey allowed officers across the
United States to share their perspectives on issues spanning from gun control
and gun violence to gun rights.

Top Line Takeaways
Breaking down the results, it's important to note that 70 percent of
respondents are field-level law enforcers — those who are face-to-face in
the fight against violent crime on a daily basis —
not office-bound, non-
sworn administrators or perpetually-campaigning elected officials.

1.) Virtually all respondents (95 percent) say that a federal ban on manufacture
and sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds would not
reduce violent crime.

gun-surveryQ6.gif

2.) The majority of respondents — 71 percent — say a federal ban on the
manufacture and sale of some semi-automatics would have no effect on
reducing violent crime. However, more than 20 percent say any ban would
actually have a negative effect on reducing violent crime. Just over 7
percent took the opposite stance, saying they believe a ban would have a
moderate to significant effect.

gun-surveyQ5.gif

3.) About 85 percent of officers say the passage of the White House’s
currently proposed legislation would have a zero or negative effect on their
safety, with just over 10 percent saying it would have a moderate or
significantly positive effect.

gun-surveyQ4.gif

4.) Seventy percent of respondents say they have a favorable or very
favorable opinion of some law enforcement leaders’ public statements that
they would not enforce more restrictive gun laws in their jurisdictions.
Similarly, more than 61 percent said they would refuse to enforce such laws
if they themselves were Chief or Sheriff.

gun-surveyQ15.gif

gun-surveyQ16.gif

5.) More than 28 percent of officers say having more permissive concealed
carry policies for civilians would help most in preventing large scale shootings
in public, followed by more aggressive institutionalization for mentally ill persons
(about 19 percent) and more armed guards/paid security personnel (about 15 percent).

Q22-final.gif

6.) The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that
casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of
an active-shooter incident.

gun-surveyQ23.gif

7.) More than 80 percent of respondents support arming school teachers and
administrators who willingly volunteer to train with firearms and carry one in
the course of the job.

gun-surveyQ24.gif

8.) More than four in five respondents (81 percent) say that gun-buyback
programs are ineffective in reducing gun violence.

gun-surveyQ17.gif

9.) More than half of respondents feel that increased punishment for obviously
illegal gun sales could have a positive impact on reducing gun violence.

gun-surveyq8-1.gif

10.) When asked whether citizens should be required to complete a safety
training class before being allowed to buy a gun, about 43 percent of officers
say it should not be required. About 42 percent say it should be required for
all weapons, with the remainder favoring training classes for certain weapons.

gun-surveyQ9.gif

11.) While some officers say gun violence in the United States stems from
violent movies and video games (14 percent), early release and short sentencing
for violent offenders (14 percent) and poor identification/treatments of
mentally-ill individuals (10 percent), the majority (38 percent) blame a decline
in parenting and family values.

gun-surveyQ29.gif

Bottom Line Conclusions
Quite clearly, the majority of officers polled oppose the theories brought forth
by gun-control advocates who claim that proposed restrictions on weapon
capabilities and production would reduce crime.

In fact, many officers responding to this survey seem to feel that those
controls will negatively affect their ability to fight violent criminals.

Contrary to what the mainstream media and certain politicians would have us
believe, police overwhelmingly favor an armed citizenry, would like to see more
guns in the hands of responsible people, and are skeptical of any greater
restrictions placed on gun purchase, ownership, or accessibility.

The officers patrolling America’s streets have a deeply-vested interest —
and perhaps the most relevant interest — in making sure that decisions
related to controlling, monitoring, restricting, as well as supporting and/or
prohibiting an armed populace are wise and effective.

With this survey, their voice has been heard.

About the author
Doug Wyllie is Editor in Chief of PoliceOne, responsible for setting the editorial
direction of the website and managing the planned editorial features by our
roster of expert writers. In addition to his editorial and managerial
responsibilities, Doug has authored more than 600 feature articles and
tactical tips on a wide range of topics and trends that affect the law
enforcement community. Doug is a member of International Law Enforcement
Educators and Trainers Association (ILEETA), and an Associate Member of
the California Peace Officers' Association. He is also a member of the Public
Safety Writers Association, and is a two-time (2011 and 2012) Western
Publishing Association "Maggie Award" Finalist in the category of Best
Regularly Featured Digital Edition Column. Even in his "spare" time, he is
active in his support for the law enforcement community, contributing his
time and talents toward police-related charitable events as well as
participating in force-on-force training, search-and-rescue training, and
other scenario-based training designed to prepare cops for the fight they
face every day on the street.

PoliceOne's Gun Control Survey: 11 key lessons from officers' perspectives

Imagine that... :hmm:

artisan4

Reaction score
Who do the police work for? Oh that's right, Americans, the majority of whom support gun control. It's an interesting side show though, as the upper class dismantles our social safety net and turns us into Chile. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

mr_mer

Reaction score
Thanks NCM. I have a few LEO pals and their opinions are similar to this survey.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
cops aren't very educated. if they were more educated they wouldn't be cops, they'd be doctors. why do i value their opinions on this?

mr_mer

Reaction score
Education has nothing to do with it. It is about practical experience.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
Education has nothing to do with it. It is about practical experience.

their practical experience involves them walking around with a gun strapped to their hip.

also, how many cops do you think are involved in shoot-outs? my dad was a cop for many years in a high crime area and was never once shot at.

mr_mer

Reaction score
their practical experience involves them walking around with a gun strapped to their hip.

also, how many cops do you think are involved in shoot-outs? my dad was a cop for many years in a high crime area and was never once shot at.

Maybe spending summers in NYC in the 70s gave me a different perspective. I have seen gun violence on the streets. Cops are usually not present. But they are the ones tasked to keep this gun violence down. I am sure than in 30+ years they have tried many things and some had worked, some others didn't. Perhaps their field observations on human behavior, criminal profiling, and just walking the beat gives them certain "authority" to give an opinion. How is this not enough to give an opinion?

On a side story, my step-dad was a cop and he always said "If there is a shooting to the west, we went to the east". Very effective way to never get shot at.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
Maybe spending summers in NYC in the 70s gave me a different perspective. I have seen gun violence on the streets. Cops are usually not present. But they are the ones tasked to keep this gun violence down. I am sure than in 30+ years they have tried many things and some had worked, some others didn't. Perhaps their field observations on human behavior, criminal profiling, and just walking the beat gives them certain "authority" to give an opinion. How is this not enough to give an opinion?

On a side story, my step-dad was a cop and he always said "If there is a shooting to the west, we went to the east". Very effective way to never get shot at.

as i noted police are usually not highly educated, nor are they statisticians. an opinion on gun control from people who spend every day with a gun on their hip is not exactly unbiased or relevant.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
There should be a law like with pepper spray and mace, that you had to have someone shoot you before you were allowed to have a gun. Like, you fill in all the paperwork and shit and for the last part before getting your license you had to be shot by an instructor. Somewhere where you probably wouldnt die. And if you survive, you get your license.

That way, people would'nt shoot eachother as much because they'd be like "****, that shit hurts like really bad! Im going to just yell 'asshole!' and walk away instead of shooting this guy."

Cruznolfart

Reaction score
as i noted police are usually not highly educated, nor are they statisticians. an opinion on gun control from people who spend every day with a gun on their hip is not exactly unbiased or relevant.

So, when an armed assailant enters your building/area/school/work-place bent on death and destruction; who ya gonna call...bio-chemists?

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score

so.....

since the average American reads on a 6th grade level and isn't very educated, all of these polls* showing a "majority" of people want gun control don't matter anyways, right?

Why would I trust a group of people who never spend any amount of time around guns to make decisions for me concerning guns?

Education as a benchmark is stupid. Look at Congress and the White House. How much education is present there?

And Tommy, I know a lot of medical doctors that I wouldn't trust to take care of a house plant. Just sayin'.

* for the purposes of this premise, let's assume these polls are accurate (ha) and were not conducted with a bias or agenda (lolz)

Scooter2112

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a cop that favors any sort of gun control.

Not surprised by the outcome here...other than that I would have assumed the numbers to be more unanimous.

I wonder if trolling is given any sort of consideration in a background check.

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
So, when an armed assailant enters your building/area/school/work-place bent on death and destruction; who ya gonna call...bio-chemists?

we have plenty examples lately of school/workplace shootings. can you name the ones for me that the cops stopped?

TOMMYTHUNDERS

Reaction score
so.....

since the average American reads on a 6th grade level and isn't very educated, all of these polls* showing a "majority" of people want gun control don't matter anyways, right?

Why would I trust a group of people who never spend any amount of time around guns to make decisions for me concerning guns?

Education as a benchmark is stupid. Look at Congress and the White House. How much education is present there?

to answer your questions, most americans are complete and total idiots who don't know what is best for them, and so are unable to pursue these things. and the people who end up in congress and the white house are extremely savvy and smart enough to land themselves in these positions of power. educated ≠ ethical.

DagerOne

Reaction score

Not saying I disagree, but I don't know that the opinions of these "uneducated officers" should automatically be decried as irrelevant or at least less relevant than the opinions of those who are uneducated on gun use or gun safety yet are in the position to make laws and policy. Doctors (myself included) are more educated, certainly, in matters related to their fields...but when I want help with my door locks, e.g., I call my uneducated brother who, while he lacks any sort of degree, is a hell of a lot better locksmith than I am.

Plus, I think you're making a false assumption that every cop who responded to the survey was a low-ranking beat cop from inner city Detroit. "The survey sample size was broadly distributed by geography and rank in proportion to the U.S. law enforcement community at large. Respondents comprised a variety of ranks from departments of all sizes, with the majority representing departments of greater than 500 officers. Of those that took the survey, 80 percent were current law enforcement officers and 20 percent were former/retired law enforcement." The guys answering the survey might not have been statisticians (the relevance of which I question), but it sure sounds like those who recorded, analyzed, and reported the data were.

Again, not saying this study is earth shattering, surprising, or the final word on anything...but to dismiss it simply because a percentage of officers didn't go to college or couldn't define "sigma" seems narrow-minded.

tragewombat

Reaction score
It's hard to image people who hate guns becoming cops, so I smell a bias here :)

That said, tragic incidents like Newtown are probably the worst motive for enforcing gun regulation. For its implementation has probably limited effects on the likelihood of such events ever happening again (that would require a draconian reduction in the available weapon arsenal as is) and armed civilians/teachers would indeed have reduced the amount of casualties.

One can logically assert that by arming every single citizen, events like Newtown will become things of the past. The question is, at what cost? For the amount of victims through gun related accidents/domestic violence will certainly increase, probably even to the point where it far outnumbers any mass-shooting victim count, it'll just have less media impact.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
to answer your questions, most americans are complete and total idiots who don't know what is best for them, and so are unable to pursue these things. and the people who end up in congress and the white house are extremely savvy and smart enough to land themselves in these positions of power. educated ≠ ethical.
If "educated" = "rich", then I agree?

That is all.:cool:

Latest Threads