Guitars with Stock jumbo and/or stainless frets?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Any recommendations?

Looking for a really nice guitar that I want to be my smoothest playing axe yet. Must have jumbo frets (not necessarily wide, just TALL) Stainless is a plus. If you have any experience with the guitars below, tell me your thoughts.

I called music man, and while they use stainless, their tallest frets are only on the JP & majesty. I don’t gravitate toward either in the looks department.

There’s the PRS dgt, which I hear uses nice tall frets. Not stainless, but top notch.

I played a few Chapman guitars at GC, they were all in the “standard” range. They were so-so. Hard to judge anything off the GC wall. Especially the bottom row. Maybe something in the pro range would work? ML3 bea or ML2 pro?

The Yamaha Revstar looks great (the one that’s made in Japan, not Indonesia). I love the look, and it has jumbos. There was a YouTube review that wasn’t very high on it for the price ($1700 with an ohsc)

I played an ESP Ltd ec-1000t fluence, and I thought it was pretty darn good. It has a thick body similar to a Les Paul. Chambered. $1000 or so retail. The Japanese versions are around $2000.

I guess that leaves Schecter & Ibanez? Which I have no experience with. Other than people always saying “it’s a thin neck, but not Ibanez wizard thin” :naughty:

Anything I’m missing? (That can be purchased from GC, Sweetwater, etc) Know of anything else that’s silky-smooth to play and has tall frets?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
For much, much less money why not have your favourite current axe re-fretted with the material of your choice?

redcoats1976

Reaction score
have the indonesian revstar (think its a 502t) .a pretty nice axe,i got one of the special editions thats a washed gray,looks like a flametop.wouldnt let country of origin become a dealbreaker,its very close to a les paul doublecut in feel and construction but with poly finish.probably in the 9 or 10 pound weight range.has a push/pull pot that cuts the bottom end which is nice and anart deco metal tailpiece,knobs and pup covers.it kinda does its own thing styling wise.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
have the indonesian revstar (think its a 502t) .a pretty nice axe,i got one of the special editions thats a washed gray,looks like a flametop.wouldnt let country of origin become a dealbreaker,its very close to a les paul doublecut in feel and construction but with poly finish.probably in the 9 or 10 pound weight range.has a push/pull pot that cuts the bottom end which is nice and anart deco metal tailpiece,knobs and pup covers.it kinda does its own thing styling wise.
The Revstar definitely has an amazing look. I love it. I’ve been wanting a Japanese made instrument for awhile, they seem to put quality over quantity In their workmanship.

I also love the raw copper pick guard, the ohsc, and the back looks like something else!

ARandall

Reaction score
Because why refret a guitar when you can buy a new one?

I kid. I plan on doing this as well in the near future.
Why buy a guitar where possibly the only part you like on it are the frets, where you can take one you already like most/every other aspect of and make it as close to perfect as you'll get???
Frets are a fairly minor part of the feel of a guitar. Scale length, nut width, neck depth and profile as well as fingerboard radius are all critically important to how 'at ease' you feel playing......in many cases moreso than fret dimension.
Plus as we know the tone of individual instruments are dependant on some of these 'feel' aspects too, as well as body shape/structure.....and the precise planks of wood used even if all else is equal.

Yes, you were being lighthearted in your reply....but don't put the minor issue first to the exclusion of all else.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
That's what I was getting at but you put it much more eloquently.

red_house356

Reaction score
It's a shame that EBMMs don't fill your preference based on jumbo frets. My BFR Cutlass is my "smoothest playing axe yet". They take great pride in crafting their necks. The oil/wax finish, neck radius/profile, fretboard quality, compensated nut, and SS fretwork are second to none for a production line guitar. Bends are silky smooth. Its a treat to play that guitar.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Why buy a guitar where possibly the only part you like on it are the frets, where you can take one you already like most/every other aspect of and make it as close to perfect as you'll get???
Frets are a fairly minor part of the feel of a guitar. Scale length, nut width, neck depth and profile as well as fingerboard radius are all critically important to how 'at ease' you feel playing......in many cases moreso than fret dimension.
Plus as we know the tone of individual instruments are dependant on some of these 'feel' aspects too, as well as body shape/structure.....and the precise planks of wood used even if all else is equal.

Yes, you were being lighthearted in your reply....but don't put the minor issue first to the exclusion of all else.
“I kid” should’ve given you some clue.

Don’t worry about what I like. If this thread isn’t your cup of tea, you’re free to gtfo.

Good day sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
It's a shame that EBMMs don't fill your preference based on jumbo frets. My BFR Cutlass is my "smoothest playing axe yet". They take great pride in crafting their necks. The oil/wax finish, neck radius/profile, fretboard quality, compensated nut, and SS fretwork are second to none for a production line guitar. Bends are silky smooth. Its a treat to play that guitar.
Man. I really had my eye on the valentine bfr. Such a cool guitar. Played a non-bfr at GC. Frets are a little low for me (same size as your cutlass). Different strokes.

ARandall

Reaction score

Don’t worry about what I like. If this thread isn’t your cup of tea, you’re free to gtfo.

Good day sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!
It seems that not only displaying rudeness, you seem unable to read the full post I made. Or maybe to facilitate your rudeness you simply ignore the bits that are inconvenient to your agenda.

Your behaviour in the quoted post is unacceptable here.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Good day sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY!
¡Ay, caramba!

Wow, lighten up!

At least ARandall took the time and trouble to offer a detailed and worthy comment-- and I didn't sense any snark whatsoever as he responded.

I saw him as being helpful towards you when it came to the considerations at hand, ahd also saw that he wasn't patronizing or condescending as he wrote.

This is a nice little thread you've got going, LPN... I actually enjoyed reading it, except for the post I'm responding to right now.

So... carry on-- but please take it a little easier on the other members. Okay?

--R

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
It seems that not only displaying rudeness, you seem unable to read the full post I made. Or maybe to facilitate your rudeness you simply ignore the bits that are inconvenient to your agenda.

Your behaviour in the quoted post is unacceptable here.
Bye felicia.

Don’t be this guy in the future:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
¡Ay, caramba!

Wow, lighten up!

At least ARandall took the time and trouble to offer a detailed and worthy comment-- and I didn't sense any snark whatsoever as he responded.

I saw him as being helpful towards you when it came to the considerations at hand, ahd also saw that he wasn't patronizing or condescending as he wrote.

This is a nice little thread you've got going, LPN... I actually enjoyed reading it, except for the post I'm responding to right now.

So... carry on-- but please take it a little easier on the other members. Okay?

--R
I disagree. Not with snark, but with being willfully ignorant of my joke, then going on to type a paragraph about “why do like things a certain way? You should like things the way I like them!”

Then a final sentence of “I know you’re being lighthearted! Even though my entire paragraph above states otherwise!”

IMO, if you have nothing to add to the actual OP, like say.... answer the questions I posed, or give a suggested guitar, then you can find another thread. Just my opinion.

questionman

Reaction score
Jumbo frets........with the exclusion of Fender dont most current production guitars out there have a Jumbo, smallest being Med Jumbo?

My LPs have em, Squier has em, 2 acoustics have em, a USA Strat has em....

Hell the only ones that dont are my 56 Gibson (damn small frets) 60th Anni 59 (medium jumbos that feel bigger than that) and a MIM Strat

Check out Edwards. Mine is a few years old and nearing a refret at this point but all 3 I had came with large frets

Or just scallop something and be done with it, doesnt matter what the fret size is, itll be big. And apparently easier than your current search

dspelman

Reaction score
Some (but not all) of the Agile series of LP-style guitars are available with stainless frets. All are available with jumbos (hand filed). The AL-3200 series is of neck-through construction (rather than set neck), has a tummy cut and a carved/smooth neck/body transition (no clunky neck heel). They also come with ebony fretboards, real MOP inlays, Graphtech nut, Graphtech NVS2 bridge with string saver saddles. Some are even available with Floyds.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bye felicia.

Okay, I tried to be nice to you.

But you had to go "Bye Felicia" to another member-- as if you're calling shots on this site?

Sad news: you aren't even in charge of your own thread. The proof: I just banned you from it.

But that's not all: I gave you a few days away from the site, so you could think about these things.

I'll still be here when you get back, just in case you need a longer time off to think about things.

So:

Bye LPN. Time for a little vacation for you.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest Threads