GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK, small weekend update:
Guitarist issue 385 is dedicated to vintage guitars and features some 7-8 pages of guitars from the museum. Check it out, it's great reading and some really beautiful pictures.

Here's the cover with the brothers White Falcon and a Bassman rig.

And here's the uber cool '58 dot marker, one of my favorite guitars, the amp is a '59 GA-79RV.

Javiersson

Reaction score
damn why is this in Sweden. thats lame. come to America
:shock: this is just ANOTHER reason to visit Sweden! Sweden by itself is a piece of Heaven on earth (and I am not speaking about the angels living there :naughty:).

Sverige rockar fett! Ni måste alla resa till Sverige!!!

Javiersson

Reaction score
Nice photos there Mike!! That 'burst of yours is really nice and the TV Jr looks almost identical to the brothers, that's cool.
I know that some of the brothers guitars came from Gil, if you talk to him I think it would be cool if you'd point him in this direction.

Today we have completed the final design of the display systems for the museum, it feels great. Now we'll start the layout, how we want to hang the guitars in the displays. Since I have almost the entire guitar collection in 3d in my CAD software it's all going to be done in the computer so we know exactly where all the guitars are going. That's really cool, I'd hate a scenario where we run around in the museum the day before Grand Opening, desperately trying to find a place for 25 B-Bender telecasters or 17 Firebirds:hyper:

The photo for today is from a Construction Meeting with HVAC, fire experts and members from the municipality. It's thanks to these meetings that all plans and ideas slowly are taking shape. The brothers and I work mostly with the practicalities of hanging guitars, the display design and the visitors overall experience. We're spared to sit in on these meetings, but we are very grateful and impressed over the job that the rest of the team put into the project:applause::applause:

Organization, teamwork, planning....I love Sweden!

Richard L

Reaction score
Great collection.

Guitars are being made to play music on them.
Joe Bonamassa understands this and takes his collection on the road.

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi,
just wanted to give you a little notice from GUITARS-The museum. It was a while since I wrote here last, much has happened here, too much to write in a post , but briefly , we have a blast here!
Visitors of all ages comes from all over the world and it 's great fun for the museum team to get to know all these people.

I would love to post some cool pics but here and now I don't have that much to show.
I have one photo I can post though. Here in Sweden we have a monarchy and earlier this year our future Queen, Crown Princess Victoria and her Prince Daniel visited the museum.

That's me, Mike's daughter Linn, Sam, Prince Daniel and Crown Princess Victoria and last it's Mike.

None of us had met the royals before, so it was obviously a very special day for all of us. Then when it turned out that the prince had a burgeoning interest in guitars it all become very relaxed and easy to talk.

An ordinary day at GUITARS-The museum:)

I'll try to be better to update this thread, we do have some really cool stuff going on, get back here and I'll tell you about it later:naughty:

Mouse

Reaction score
None of us had met the royals before, so it was obviously a very special day for all of us. Then when it turned out that the prince had a burgeoning interest in guitars it all become very relaxed and easy to talk.
Cool, good for him and it's good for his soul if he is playing some music.

tonemonster58

Reaction score
If ever there was a place that just screams out to have a MLP Member meet this is it! I am sure with a bit of planning we could even get a group discount for airfare from the various hubs that would serve as starting points for the journey. I know there are guitar shows that MLP members plan meets at. How cool would it be to have a major meet here. I for one one make special arrangements for such an event. Finally a worthy Mecca for MLP fan boys.

As an aside as a fund raiser idea, the museum could have a raffle for drawings good for 1 hour of secluded playtime with the guitar of your choice. I heard they were looking for ideas, I think that this one is worthy and would probably even get some good publicity as a result.

There are some pretty decent collections within the MLP community too. If each visiting member brought one of their favorites with them during the meet to put on display for perhaps a weekend, it could also be very worthwhile for the museum as well.

Thoughts?

Luthier-Atlanta

Reaction score
O.K., I have to run to work. Made it to page 6, AWESOME Idea!

P.S., love the P-1800. :)

jerry47

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow, Just an amazing thread, From start to finish I couldn't look away. Believe me that's saying a lot normally after the first page i have to fast forward to the last, Thanks, It was a pleasure viewing.

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So, here's just a little something I copied from the museum's Facebook page.

I will come back with a major update in the next few weeks.

:naughty:

"Guitarist of the day! The Ambassador of France (in Sweden) Mr Jacques Lapouge visited us today. Thank you Mr Lapouge for coming by and for being such a great Guitar Ambassador…and we agree, The Byrds are great."

Mike & Mr Jacques Lapouge

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
OK, no reply to the photo, well I guess I can't blame you for that, I mean, seriously, how interesting is the ambassador of France in a guitar forum? But here's the thing, it's not the ambassador that's interesting in this photo. It's something way cooler, it's custom made, it's ultra light and it's pinstriped by the man himself......
Here's a pretty cool oil painting made by the in-house artist of the museum, Ingemar Almeros, it might give you a clue...

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Magnus, looks like a painting of Billy G. :thumb: :)

Hope all is well.

Cheers, Rudi

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Rudi,
yeah, you got the painting right.

Now, how about the guitar Mike is holding?

:)

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Lounger, thanks for the great review. I'll show it for the brothers, they'll be super happy to se it.
So, tomorrow is a fun day for us at the museum and all future visitors, we will finally reveal the whole story about what I've been somewhat mysterious about, for example that pinstriped custom guitar I posted earlier.

RAG7890

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Magnus, I just happened to look at that Guitar again & had a closer look at the HS Shape. :hmm:

That is definitely a Bolin IMHO. :D

Look forward to your updates. :)

Cheers, Rudi

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Haha Rudi, yeah, you're absolutely right, that's a Bolin guitar and not just any Bolin guitar, it's one of three guitars that Billy Gibbons have sent to the museum.

Yes, that's right, we have three of Billys personal guitars at the museum, the Billy Bo, one R9 and one Gretsch Electromatic, pinstriped by Billy himself.

Today was the day when we opened the Billy Gibbons diplay for the public. The display and the guitars where introduced by Thomas Nilsen @ Cream T Pickups. A super nice guy who also is Billy Gibbons "personal" pickup winder. He have also some other pretty famous clinents such as Keith Richards and Jeff Beck. But as all of us here, he's most a guitar nerd who can talk guitars and pickups forever.

Billy himself couldn't participate today but the plan is that he will show up sometime in the future.

I don't have any good pictures from today, the place was totally crowded, guitar nerds, ZZ Top fans and just regular folks that just wanted to see the stuff. Super fun!!

So, here are a couple of low res photos I just snapped from facebook, sorry for the low quality, I'll post back with better photos and some more information about the display and the guitars.

Sam & Mike, just before the grand opening:)

The worst picture ever, sorry..what we se is Thomas introducing the display

The complete display

Here's the R9

Billy Bo

Part of the Electromatic

And here is Thomas himself, resting in the sofa in the brothers office at the museum

In all a complete success, super cool to have those guitars at the museum, just to be near guitars owned and played by Billy Gibbons, it is difficult to grasp, it feels almost unreal. Tomorrow I'll be heading down to the museum and play a couple of other guitars Thomas brought for us to try, loaded with pickups he have built. I can't wait:thumb: