Guitars And Airlines

Big John

level of suckage: 10
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm going to the midwest next month, and I want to take my lester with me. There's a few jams happening being put on by old friends (that can play circles around my dumbass), but I don't want to borrow one of their guitars. I'll be on an American 737-800 going into O'Hare, and then an American puddle jumper into Moline. Any of you regular travelers know the the deal with guitars and airlines?

Attachments

Lungo

Reaction score
I've flown with a guitar a few times while traveling first class and never had a problem. Checked my bag and carried on a guitar in a gig bag. Taking a puddle jumper might be an issue with that plan though because chances are they'd make you gate check anything larger than a lunch box.

smk506

Reaction score
I’ve had good results carrying on in a gig bag too, but that’s been on standard domestic flights. I’d probably just borrow a guitar if possible.

That said, I’d say flight case if you really want to bring one of your own.

I’d also feel better about my strat or tele being thrown around than one of my lps or sg.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
I have no experience with this, but you could also mail it ahead to one of your buddies. :dunno:

cjpeck

Reaction score
you're going to need to find a solid hard case, like a Hiscox. If you fly with a guitar on a small aircraft, there just isn't any place to secure it in the cabin.

Never mind all the nonsense people will rant about "the law says instruments get to go in the overhead".
Read the fine print on those regs. Air Carriers are not required to stow your instrument in the overhead or anywhere else in the cabin. Read it all the way through. All the fine print. Especially the parts that say "if there is space available upon boarding" and "at the flight crews discretion".

I fly with instruments frequently. I use Calton cases and don't worry about checking them.

80smetalhead

Reaction score
I have flown with my Gibson Les Paul Standard quite a few times. As long as my Lester is in a normal size electric guitar case they always let me carry it on. First Class is easiest otherwise make sure to check in the first group after to maximize your ability to store it in the overhead. I carry a copy of this too because it has been the law since 2012.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
Ship the guitar to someone there ahead of time. It will be much cheaper and you will be a lot happier. In the summer all the flights are crowded, as are the airports.

Big John

level of suckage: 10
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What the hell? I didn't add the attachment photo to my OP. Is this place haunted?

Metal Guru

Reaction score
I recently flew from Detroit to Sarasota and back with my vintage Gibson LG-1 acoustic via Delta 737 aircraft. Had no issues whatsoever.
I was able to stow it in the closet behind first class or in the closet the flight crew uses.
On part of my return leg, the guitar was stowed in a seat in the first row of 1st class, rock star style, while I sat in coach.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope this is helpful

rcole_sooner

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I just take the neck off my tele and pack it in my suit case. No probs, and it has been to several countries and islands.

The modern vintage tuners make it easy to pop the strings out and back in. I guess one could even leave them connected to the tuners.

Lungo

Reaction score
I read an interview with Vinnie Moore a while back and he did the same thing. Airline wouldn't allow him to carry on a guitar so he removed the neck and packed it in a suitcase. He even left the strings attached to the bridge and tuners.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have never taken a guitar on an airline, but know what they have done to my luggage on some flights, so I would never want to risk checking a guitar like an LP or SG in anything other than a flight case.If you have a Tele, Strat, or other bolt neck guitar, I like the suggestion above about taking the neck off and putting the guitar in a suitcase. And I'd use plenty of bubble wrap or other padding.

Our airlines suck so badly in so many ways that I avoid flying any time I can. And If I must fly, I fly business or first. It's expensive I know, but since I scarcely fly its OK