guitar

batdog

Reaction score
is the guitar the hardest instrument to learn ?

Reactions: Who

batdog

Reaction score
your right hard learn but rewarding I've played different musical instruments nothing as complex as the guitar
and different styles that's why its addictive im hooked !!

Reactions: Who

speyfly

Reaction score
Stick with it, well worth your invested time. One day depending on how much you put into it, the door will open up for you.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. No instrument is any harder to learn to play than another....

Each instrument family is just a different mindset. If one is willing to 'shed on any particular instrument, one might find that different does not equate to more difficult.... With enough work, learning another instrument becomes just different mechanics to make it happen... One is not actually starting at zero on a different instrument.... Growing up around musicians, there were always instruments around. Because of that, I didn't think in terms of instrument. I thought in terms of tone. Which instrument would I have to utilize to produce what I heard in my head. Not difficult, just different.... What do valves on a brass instrument actually mechanically do? What do keys on winds actually mechanically do? What do keys on a piano actually mechanically do? What does a movable slide on a trombone (think of what valves on other brass instruments do) actually mechanically do? You will start to see some interesting similarities....

One's concept of 'hard' is dependent on one's willingness to work....

redcoats1976

Reaction score
64 years old,been playing on and off since i was 14.im almost halfway decent,but theres lots of really talented people out there.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
is the guitar the hardest instrument to learn ?
While I have always been too intimidated to even try it, I'd think pedal steel would be more difficult by several magnitudes. I mean, take guitar - then add (in most cases) 4 more strings. And your feet and knees are constantly changing the tuning......

My head hurts just thinking about it.

Also, I used to date a keyboardist who said pipe organ is the hardest, because of the delay between key & bellows; you're always hearing what you played 3-4 notes ago.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I disagree with guitar being a difficult instrument to learn. When I first started playing at age 12, I was surprised with the first few basic chords I learned how many popular rock riffs and AC/DC songs were immediately accessible. I took lessons the first year learning the Eagles songbook. While I was not a big Eagles fan as a 12-year-old, I learned alot about musicality, strum patterns, different chord fingerings, etc. that made me a better guitar player than my peers that were stuck on "Smoke On The Water" and "Breaking The Law". Yes, I agree that playing songs well is a whole 'nother level, but there are the immediate rewards playing guitar. And then quality lead guitar playing is a whole other level above that.
You want difficult??? Inspired by the Dregs in the 1980s, my keyboardist and I were both inspired to learn to play VIOLIN. Now THAT is difficult to learn! Both of us eventually gave up.

Dixie-Dregs-Ridgefield-Playhouse-37.jpg

Ronaldo

Reaction score
Harder to learn when you don’t have all your fretting hand digits.

Latest Threads