Guitar/USB/PC Interface Device

Victek

Reaction score
I haven't seen any recent discussions about good entry level Guitar/USB/PC boxes so wanted to get current opinions. I want to be able to plug the 1/4 jack at the end of my pedal chain (guitar/OD/reverb/etc) directly into the box and connect the box to the PC via USB (is USB 3.0 support available and worthwhile?). A microphone input might come in handy too. I want to use this for occasional recording on the PC and also JamKazam. TIA for your help :)

Victek

Reaction score
Lots of options. I use the Focusrite 2i2.
That one looks pretty good and the "Solo" is in my price range <$100.

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Compact USB Audio Interface

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Solo-Compact-Interface/dp/B00MTXU2DG/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1426792747&sr=1-2&keywords=focusrite+2i2[/ame]

Is it as low latency as they claim? What do you think about the software it came with, in particular the Windows drivers? Thanks!

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's called an: Audio Interface

And at least one in three or four threads in this section mentions them.

Lots of info and discussions already there and definitely not hard to find.

I'm going to ask you to ante up before I make any suggestions! :wave:

You'll be glad you did!

vds5000

Reaction score
The Presonus Audiobox USB looks good and it's in your pricerange. I've seen them as low as $79.99 (New) on Amazon.

kfowler8

Reaction score
The Presonus Audiobox USB looks good and it's in your pricerange. I've seen them as low as $79.99 (New) on Amazon.
I had the older version of the Audiobox. For the price I thought it worked well. It blew a cap a couple of years ago. I considered it when I was buying a replacement but the Focusrite had a better sample rate or something. The Focusrite is also a little more expensive.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

CaptainT

Reaction score
I use the Line 6 Studio GX, does the job for me.

:cheers:

CT

Victek

Reaction score
Lots of info and discussions already there and definitely not hard to find.
Thanks for the reply. I've been reading some of the older threads and educating myself. I decided to also start a new thread though because new products appear often in the electronics market and an older product may no longer be the best.

Victek

Reaction score
The Presonus Audio Box USB looks like it would do the job. I guess I would need an adapter though to get the guitar signal into it. :hmm:

Attachments

kfowler8

Reaction score
The Presonus Audio Box USB looks like it would do the job. I guess I would need an adapter though to get the guitar signal into it. :hmm:
You just use a standard 1/4" plug. The front can take both XLR and 1/4"

kfowler8

Reaction score
Note if you plug the guitar directly in you'll need a decent computer to avoid latency. I've actually never liked using it this way except for bass guitar. I mic all my amps and then run them to the input using an XLR.

Lots of options with free amp sims though if that's your thing.

Gibson_Ed

Reaction score
I use IK Multimedia's iRig HD. Best 99 bucks I've spent in a long time.. It has a USB cable for PC connections, plus a Lightning (and 30-pin) connector for your iOS devices. It also come with their free iOS version of Amplitube, as well as their PC version of Amplitube 3 and several other software applications. The $99 iRig HD is a step up from their regular $39 iRig, giving you 24bit studio quality audio, no interference or crosstalk, and is compatible with any iOS guitar modeling/stomp box effect apps like my personal favorite; Yonac's ToneStack. (I've purchased the "full unlock" on this one for $39.99 and was worth every penny!)

Death Incarnate

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use this:

But it has been discontinued and replaced by the "2x2", which seems a bit much:

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Presonus and Focusrite AI's have at least one "High-Z" input that can accept a microphone and/or electric Guitar/Bass signal. Meaning it's made to adapt to the differences in impedance without a hitch!

Make sure what you get has this and plug right in. But you will need some amplifier modeling software to make it sound like anything.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Going a step further, I use a Boss JS-10 which is more of a jam/practise device but it has all the I/O needed to connect to computers and record stuff effortlessly. I love it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstDlNRTUK0[/ame]

TeaForTwo

The Guitar Whisperer
Reaction score
Note if you plug the guitar directly in you'll need a decent computer to avoid latency. I've actually never liked using it this way except for bass guitar. I mic all my amps and then run them to the input using an XLR.

Lots of options with free amp sims though if that's your thing.
Cheers kfowler8....I've been wanting to join in on your great monthly http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guitar-lessons/331085-march-2015-backing-track-month.html threads.

I have nice recording gear in storage, both software based and Tascam DAW units, and a Korg D3200.)
I won't be retrieving them for a while....I could go with a new Tascam DP32SD unit (or any recommended similar unit),
or I could go with any of the above inexpensive interfaces to use with a POD 2.0
unit into an "OK" computer, and or a laptop with an i3 chip.

Which in your opinion will get me there "better"?

(I have many guitars and amps but won't be using them. Just a guitar or two for now, and the POD unit.)
Guess I should also ask, are any of the 2X2 interfaces above a better choice than another posted about?

(I'm posting this link for my own reference...http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/recording-studio/324125-best-usb-interface-under-150-a.html)

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey T42, if your Pod has a USB connection for a computer, you can plug it in to either your PC or your Laptop to record without having to buy anything. Hopefully, you have decent PC speakers so they can somewhat emulate what a true amp setup would sound like.

Usually, the Pods have all the Modeling Amp stuff running inside them and doesn't need any Processor resources to use, so you don't need a super PC.

You probably know about Audacity (free DAW software) and Reaper (indefinite free trial period) Recording software. Either would do fine for BTOTM and more.

There are some members here on MLP and YT: ZenDriveSeven and SIXSTRING63, that have been doing it this way for years.

I'll link a video from each. You can go to their YT Channels if you want to hear more. This method is a LOT of bang for the buck!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaToRqynAFA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnP6Z7NPpc[/ame]

Latest Threads