Guitar Trader #9 094X

Intubator

Reaction score
Hello Folks, Unfortunately I am considering the sale of one of my most coveted guitars, a Guitar Trader of Red Bank NJ Les Paul. I purchased this guitar from the estate of the original owner five years ago, he was a collector and literally never played it. The guitar is 100% original and unmodified with the exception of a single string change when I purchased it. The guitar is equipped with Tim Shaw PAF's, has a long tenon, and all of the correct identifying features of a Guitar Trader model, and is very rare in tobacco sunburst. It has been on display on a wall hanger for a couple of months now and is a little dusty, I will be getting it cleaned up tomorrow and will post more pics if anyone is interested. I really have no idea how to value this, so I was hoping for some input from the forum if anyone reading is familiar with these. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
20181011_125034_resized.jpg
20181011_125301_resized.jpg

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Greetings @Intubator :cheers:

Nice LP,... for anyone to do a good evaluation we are gonna need some pics of the back of the headstock and a good clear pic of the control cavity. If at all possible pull the neck pup and a pic of the cavity there.

Otherwise you won’t get any serious opinion on what it is really worth. Cuz I can’t really tell from these two pics what model it really is.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I remember that Guitar Trader commissioned that model to be closer in specs to the vintage LP's than the Norlins that were around at the time. They are considered to be great LP's, sort of a first gen "Historic" or Custom Shop vibe. LP people were unhappy with the LP's that were being put out by Gibson at the time, and wanted something like the old ones.
Al
P.S. I just saw that page about the small run LP's of the late 70's and early 80's you posted a link to in your thread about the Ebay seller stealing your pics. I realized that the Strings and Things model predates the Guitar Trader one, but it's the same story, attempting to have a model made at that time that more closely resembled the vintage LP's of the 50's. Yours is awesome by the way.

Last edited:

Intubator

Reaction score
Here are a few more photo's. I'll be cleaning her up a bit later today and will get some close ups of the pickups/ cavities and the tenon. Thanks for the comments so far!
20181014_100413_resized.jpg
20181014_101401_resized.jpg
20181014_101333_resized.jpg
20181014_101435_resized.jpg

mudface

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics,... looks like cavity and pot dates shows 1982,.... I had a Leo model of the same year.

Very nice example,.... if everything else is as clean and original it could very well top over $4k,....

I think that modern Historics are plentiful and meet all the specs of the original vintage Standard that these early pre-Historics come up short. This may have an affect on pricing.

Though these are very popular among collectors and it’s just a matter of finding the right buyer that may pay well over the $4k I meantion.

I’m a player and not a collector,.. though I have small heard of players:)

Others here can give some better insight then I. Good luck :cheers:

mudface

Reaction score
It looks to have had the covers removed at one time,... I don't believe that these early pre-historics had long tenons. The location of the "Les Paul Model" script was all over the place on these made for dealer pre-historics. Most were located closer to the Gibson logo in some degree, this one seems to be in the normal (in the middle) location. The very early GT '59 reissues received original PAFs,.. those would bring in a premium.

Intubator

Reaction score
It looks to have had the covers removed at one time,... I don't believe that these early pre-historics had long tenons. The location of the "Les Paul Model" script was all over the place on these made for dealer pre-historics. Most were located closer to the Gibson logo in some degree, this one seems to be in the normal (in the middle) location. The very early GT '59 reissues received original PAFs,.. those would bring in a premium.

You are correct regarding the tenon. I have a Guitar Trader "Special" which has the long tenon as it should, which I have seen, and I got the two mixed up. Both guitars were purchased at the same time, from the same owner. Sorry for the confusion. When I removed the pickups last night I saw that it does in fact have the short tenon as it should (pic). And yes, if it was one of the first fifteen it would have NOS 59 PAF's, and this has the Tim Shaw PAF's. I would say its still pretty collectable as its likely one of the last five guitars made in the Kalamazoo factory, and the condition is nothing short of remarkable for a 36 year old guitar... I'm thinking the value is close to the $10,000 + range as there have been a few listed on Reverb over the last three years or so that went for $20,000 +/- one had 59 PAF's. It is difficult to establish a value due to the rarity and frequency they become available for sale. I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I really appreciate it!
20181014_192039_resized.jpg

Intubator

Reaction score
Thanks bblooz, appreciate it! The sun is supposed to come out tomorrow in the Baltimore area so I'm going to do some outdoor photos at a local park. I'll post them when I get a chance.

Intubator

Reaction score
Had some pretty nice light today outside at the local park, so here are a few more pics. It was a little work to get the dust off but worth it!

20181016_145820_resized.jpg
20181016_145936_resized.jpg
20181016_150037_resized.jpg
20181016_150301_resized.jpg

LPPILOT

Reaction score
reminds me of the Dark burst 85 59 reissue I owned back in 87 . Sold it to Gruhn at a show about 1990. I had two of the very early 59's , but neither of mine sounded as good as any of my Hertiage 80 Std. They were beautiful LP's . But were not the kind you can't put down , the wood was dead . I miss the Hertitage 80's tho.

RhytmEarl

Reaction score
So, what did you sell the guitar for if I may be so bold to ask.

I have one myself. I'm the original owner and have all the correspondence to verify its authenticity. I'm considering putting it up for sale and would love to have a number (even if you just want to be vague) to start with.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
here's what I will bet......I BET he didn't get that $10,000.00 that he thought it was worth.

:applause:

if you want folks to chime in on yours, it will happen but as noted above (last year) we will need good clear pics of the entire guitar.

first of all, are you saying that you own a Guitar Trader (Reissue) Les Paul?

RhytmEarl

Reaction score
here's what I will bet......I BET he didn't get that $10,000.00 that he thought it was worth.

:applause:

if you want folks to chime in on yours, it will happen but as noted above (last year) we will need good clear pics of the entire guitar.

first of all, are you saying that you own a Guitar Trader (Reissue) Les Paul?
Yes, I own a Guitar Trader LP. It's essentially the same guitar as the OP has/had so that's why I'm asking what (if anything) he sold it for. I'm the original owner and have all the correspondence from Guitar Trader to prove its provenance.
As for estimates (how do I phrase this so as not to sound like a dick?) I think I have a pretty good handle on a ballpark figure but what I really want to know is an actual sold price. But if anyone wants to chime in with their best guess I would be happy to hear what they think.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
What do you think it is actually worth?

don't worry about sounding like a dick here, that will just make you fit in better.......

it is a nice piece, I'll give you that......I know where a couple are sitting, and have been sitting for 1-3 years because of the asking price.

Market is pretty tough right now and most people know that the modern "historics" or "reissues" etc. etc. are the best bang for those kinds of bucks.

Last edited: