Guitar Tool Kit Recommendations?

tintin

Reaction score
Hi-

I searched but did not find recommendations for guitar tool kits. I'm interested in a basic set-up type kit of tools. Not too sophisticated, but hopefully complete and of decent quality. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ehamady6

Reaction score
Hi-

I searched but did not find recommendations for guitar tool kits. I'm interested in a basic set-up type kit of tools. Not too sophisticated, but hopefully complete and of decent quality. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mine has been assembled over the years: a good string winder and cutter (I like Planet Waves), T-sockets for nuts on tuners and jack, feeler gauges to measure string height, truss rod wrenches, olm meter, precision screwdrivers, allen wrenches, pocket tuner, soldering iron, etc.

Stew-Mac may have prefabbed kits, but I like to assemble a kit of good quality tools individually.

Hectgore

Reaction score
Mine has been assembled over the years: a good string winder and cutter (I like Planet Waves), T-sockets for nuts on tuners and jack, feeler gauges to measure string height, truss rod wrenches, olm meter, precision screwdrivers, allen wrenches, pocket tuner, soldering iron, etc.

Stew-Mac may have prefabbed kits, but I like to assemble a kit of good quality tools individually.

ugghh dont you hate the fact that the planet waves winder doesnt "spring" back up while cutting strings?I find it very annoying. I also lost the plastic tip so while winding it opens up on me.:mad:

ehamady6

Reaction score
ugghh dont you hate the fact that the planet waves winder doesnt "spring" back up while cutting strings?I find it very annoying. I also lost the plastic tip so while winding it opens up on me.:mad:

I actually have the PW winder and cutter as 2 separate tools.

Hectgore

Reaction score
oh really?so you bought two winders or it came like that?

SiameseDreamer

Reaction score
So just a quick question... will a 25w Soldering iron do the job for LP mods?

ehamady6

Reaction score
oh really?so you bought two winders or it came like that?

Came like that. I got the ergonomic winder and cutter separately 10 years ago before they started combining them. They must still sell them separately. Seems like companies are trying to make Swiss Army Knife-type tools where they attach everything including the kitchen sink. What I don't like about that is if one tool breaks or just plain sucks, then it becomes a useless appendage that's forever attached to the tools you like and use most often.

b-squared

Banned
Reaction score
Some things I tend to use all the time:

String winder/cutter (planet waves)

Screwdriver-got a cheap all-in-one version with interchangeable tips.

Wire cutters--not just for strings, but trimming internal wiring.

Wire stripper

40 watt soldering iron--I also keep a 25-watt one for small work on pot lugs/wires.
-- solder
-- solder wick
-- paste flux
-- alligator clips (heat sink/used for pickup rings)

Voltmeter...always good to have when you need it.

Gaffer's tape--expensive ($35 a roll) but worth every penny.

Painter's tape (blue)--great for using to hold stuff on the guitar...does not affect finish.

BB

Wuchak

Reaction score
Careful with string winders. It's really easy to smack the edge of the headstock with them and mar your guitar. I went back to doing it the old fashioned way.

tintin

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think I will try out the Cruztools Groovetech kit for starters. Looks fairly complete for a basic set up kit and hopefully decent quality.

Latest Threads