Guitar Stores in NYC

damndirtyape71

Reaction score
No it was definitely Rudy's that was pushy. Not as pushy or as big of assholes as the big boxes, but they were pushy. I went in wanting to play a PRS CE 22 that I saw online, but they had already sold it. Wasn't a big deal, but I hadn't played in like 5 days since I had been on holiday w/out a guit. So I just wanted to play around on a Custom 24. The guy kept on coming up to me asking me if I wanted to buy it, if I was done playing it and just gave me the impression that if I wasn't gonna buy it, then I couldn't play it anymore. Actually I think he said something exactly along those lines. I don't know who he was, but they did search all over for that CE22, which was nice. I probably would've bought that guitar. It was an awesome Tobacco Sunburst.

Rudy's isn't bad, but as a whole, as a native I avoid 48th street... Just not going to get the good deals there or the support from a sales man that you will elsewhere.. My suggestion is find a sales guy that you like in the same way you have a mechanic. My sales guy has been with Sam Ash and now GC for over 20 years. He's more than a sales guy hes a friend who I trust.

Cheers.

SlaytanicDude

Reaction score
No it was definitely Rudy's that was pushy. Not as pushy or as big of assholes as the big boxes, but they were pushy. I went in wanting to play a PRS CE 22 that I saw online, but they had already sold it. Wasn't a big deal, but I hadn't played in like 5 days since I had been on holiday w/out a guit. So I just wanted to play around on a Custom 24. The guy kept on coming up to me asking me if I wanted to buy it, if I was done playing it and just gave me the impression that if I wasn't gonna buy it, then I couldn't play it anymore. Actually I think he said something exactly along those lines. I don't know who he was, but they did search all over for that CE22, which was nice. I probably would've bought that guitar. It was an awesome Tobacco Sunburst.

That sounds really odd, they've let me and every customer I've seen go into their store have a nice long play time with their gear. Was your guy a rather big greasy looking fellow? I've never seen him working the lower store, only the amp room in their repair shop, and he's the only guy who ever gave me a bad impression, wouldn't put it past him to be pushy. That or you caught someone on their bad day. It's not really my business since I'm not affiliated with Rudy's, but sorry about your poor experience.

CLC12ROCK

Reaction score
That sounds really odd, they've let me and every customer I've seen go into their store have a nice long play time with their gear. Was your guy a rather big greasy looking fellow? I've never seen him working the lower store, only the amp room in their repair shop, and he's the only guy who ever gave me a bad impression, wouldn't put it past him to be pushy. That or you caught someone on their bad day. It's not really my business since I'm not affiliated with Rudy's, but sorry about your poor experience.

Yea everyone in there seemed kinda stressed for some reason and I'm only 22, so they probably thought I was just some sh!thead kid wantin to play a PRS. They had an AMAZING selection of guits though. They did search high and low for that CE22 though, which really surprised me at how persistent they were.

SlaytanicDude

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess you just caught them on a bad day. I doubt they thought you were a shithead kid, I'm a shithead 16 year old and they let me play their stuff. They're usually very professional however, and I've seen many NYC-outsiders, from French women to Canadian kids to Southerners like yourself come in and they've all been treated well.

That Canadian kid was only 16 or 17 by the way, and gave of a very bad impression when you would first see him, was a nice kid though.

CLC12ROCK

Reaction score
Went to 30th St., Dan's Chelsea, Rivington Guits, First Flight and back to Sam Ash yesterday. 30th St. might have the best selection of LPs in town. They had a pilot run Duane Allman LP for 15Gs, it was beautiful though. I was treated much better all around the board, even at Sam Ash. Mike there is a great guy. I played a Lucille and a Slash VOS, both of which were POS's, and after playing them for a while, he told me NOT to buy them...I appreciated that. Headin down to Matt Umanov today, might try to make it to Mandolin Bros if I have the time. Will update.

Latest Threads