Guitar stores in NYC, which carry Reissue Historics ?

newguy

Reaction score
I am in the market for a used R8 but am also interested in checking out other historic reissues as well.

In a week or two, I will be going to NYC. I know it is not the best place to buy guitars but I just want to check some guitar stores out, play as many new/used historic reissues as possible in order to get a feel of these monsters.

Any store suggestions ?

Thanks in advance!

Studio10

Reaction score
I Haven't been to Matt's on awhile. That "54 Reissue" they have listed isn't a 54 Reissue.

LanEvo

Reaction score
If you're going to be in the lower east side, don't forget Ludlow and Rivington. Won't find a massive selection in either place, but pretty much everything they carry is interesting.

I know it's not a Les Paul, but you might also want to check out the Framus/Warwick custom shop in the East Village.

joba

Reaction score
A thirty minute train ride out of Penn Station you have the Music Zoo in Roslyn.
They have a large inventory of Reissues.

FUS44

Reaction score
Enabler!
I just mapped it. Man, the benchie V and explorer are calling me like Tyrone Biggums to the 5 oclock free crack giveaway.

OP: I don't know, but if I was you, I'd get to the Zoo. They have a great selection of historics and you should be able to play many from r7 to CC's. If you're going to drop the coin and don't have the experience w/R guitars in hand, you owe it to yourself.

newguy

Reaction score
Enabler!
I just mapped it. Man, the benchie V and explorer are calling me like Tyrone Biggums to the 5 oclock free crack giveaway.

OP: I don't know, but if I was you, I'd get to the Zoo. They have a great selection of historics and you should be able to play many from r7 to CC's. If you're going to drop the coin and don't have the experience w/R guitars in hand, you owe it to yourself.
Wish it were closer. I will be with my gf and I am not sure if she will be okay with me wasting 2-3 hours of her day in the city, hahaha. We will see.

I checked out the pictures. They look amazing. Kinda pricey for me though. Again, my intention is to get a feel of these instruments. I won't be buying, yet.

winexprt

Reaction score
Enabler!
I just mapped it. Man, the benchie V and explorer are calling me like Tyrone Biggums to the 5 oclock free crack giveaway...
Somebody say FREE CRACK!??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEOeIom1vq4]Chappelles Show-Tyrone Biggums - YouTube[/ame]

:lol: :laugh2:

indravayu

Reaction score
Early this year the guys at Rudy's told me they were phasing out Gibson - not sure if they changed their minds, or not, as I just moved to L.A. The Music Zoo is not too far away from NYC, if you feel like making the trek. Other than that, you've got Guitar Center and Sam Ash for new Historics and 30th St Guitars for an always random selection of used Historics. Sometimes Rivington Street Guitars and Ludlow get used ones in, too. You can occasionally find used ones in Brooklyn at Southside guitars and Main Drag Music

Be advised that NYC sales tax is 8.8% - you might be able to talk dealers into nixing it if you have the guitar shipped home. Also note that NYC retail prices are higher than most other big cities in the U.S. (due to the exorbitant rents).

w.izzy

Reaction score
In a week or two, I will be going to NYC.
Me too... !!! I was about to ask a similar question in here....im really happy with the perspective of NY in the winter, but wife did not let put my strat (neck unscrewed from body) in one of our bags..., since we can only take four bags with us from here....

My only hope is that the guy whose house were going to has some kind of acoustic or classical forgotten somewhere. That happened once....

Have a nice trip

newguy

Reaction score
Me too... !!! I was about to ask a similar question in here....im really happy with the perspective of NY in the winter, but wife did not let put my strat (neck unscrewed from body) in one of our bags..., since we can only take four bags with us from here....

My only hope is that the guy whose house were going to has some kind of acoustic or classical forgotten somewhere. That happened once....

Have a nice trip
Thanks W.izzy! I actually found an R8 so I am not looking at this point but I will still be going to NYC, soon.

I agree, around Christmas/ New year's eve, NYC looks pretty, if you can get pass the millions of tourists that is, lol.

I hope you enjoy your trip, too.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Wish it were closer. I will be with my gf and I am not sure if she will be okay with me wasting 2-3 hours of her day in the city, hahaha. We will see.

I checked out the pictures. They look amazing. Kinda pricey for me though. Again, my intention is to get a feel of these instruments. I won't be buying, yet.
The Music Zoo has the selection, but they are pricey. Check out House of Guitars in Rochester, NY and look at the differences in prices for the same guitars. They're $1000 less at H of G!!

When I looked at MZ pricess and then compared them to what we pay in Toronto, I knew they were steep because our price is typically $6000 for a R series in gloss, and about $5000 in VOS. The advantage is the selection.

indravayu

Reaction score
The Music Zoo has the selection, but they are pricey. Check out House of Guitars in Rochester, NY and look at the differences in prices for the same guitars. They're $1000 less at H of G!!

When I looked at MZ pricess and then compared them to what we pay in Toronto, I knew they were steep because our price is typically $6000 for a R series in gloss, and about $5000 in VOS. The advantage is the selection.
Even though Music Zoo is just outside of NYC, it's still close enough to be affected by the curse of high rent, which affects pricing for retail stores. Of course, the prices listed on their site are not necessarily what you pay in store, or over the phone, if you know how to haggle.

uncajoey

Reaction score
I disagree with the assertion that Southside's prices are high. I bought a '62 ES 125tdc from them last year. The guitar was in very fine condition, supplied in a brand new hardshell, and sings like a bird. The price was quite fair! Friendly service, too, nice people.

Latest Threads