Guitar storage

JBranch

Reaction score
Yes, I've been playing guitars for 25 years or so... and in all that time, it has never occurred to me to ask: what is the best way to store your guitar? I've always had a HSC, but I usually have just tossed them under my bed, or left it on a guitar stand.

Things change, I've grown older, hopefully a little smarter and wiser. I'm on a limited income, but I saved my pennies and bought a Gibson Les Paul. I'm not gettin all mystical or misty-eyed, but it really is the guitar I've always wanted, even before I knew what I wanted.

That being said, I want to take much better care of this one than I have of my other guitars. I keep it in a HSC, but I play it every day. What is the best position for storage? Standing up? Laying flat? Also, should the need arise, what are the best practices for long-term storage?

Thanks

LongBeach

Reaction score
From what I've read thus far on this subject, as long as you keep it in the HSC,
your safe. I keep my lester's in the hsc, on edge. Simple because it takes up less
space in that position. I'm guessing, due to the fact you play it every day, your
safe.

Lots of folks leave them on the stands, wall hanger's, etc.
I live close to the beach, which creates tons of dust, quickly.
And I get sick and tired of cleaning the 1/4" of dust off them once
every week.

JBranch

Reaction score
Also, meant to include... I live in GA, high humidity. So I keep a silica packet in the HSC.

LongBeach

Reaction score
Also, meant to include... I live in GA, high humidity. So I keep a silica packet in the HSC.

I've always left those in them as well.
Cant hurt.

Spent a little time in Perry, ya, humity was a little on the "thick" side to say the least.

JBranch

Reaction score
Cant hurt.

Spent a little time in Perry, ya, humity was a little on the "thick" side to say the least.

I live 5 miles from Perry. So you definitely know what I'm talkin' about.

kjlugo

Reaction score
From what I've heard always keep them in their cases and standing up.....

JBranch

Reaction score

I've heard that too... but I wonder why all 4 of my HSCs have feet on the side instead of on the end? Maybe they are just for use in transit.

kjlugo

Reaction score
I've heard that too... but I wonder why all 4 of my HSCs have feet on the side instead of on the end? Maybe they are just for use in transit.

Mine has feet on the back side and on the end too.

Tanman711

Reaction score

Eh Not a wise Idea, Friend of mine had his standing one day while I was in the other room recording. Apparently it fell, and when he opened the case, the neck snapped into 2. Boy was he pissed. Having it in the case is wise, but maybe not just standing up.

Hogman49

Reaction score
For me, I pick out my guitar(s) of the day. Take them out of their cases, then onto stands. Every free second I seem to find, I spend with a guitar in my hands. At the end of the day, back in the cases, which are stored standing up on end, but leaning back in a corner of my room. They fit very securely this way in the corner. No threats of falling over or being knocked over. I lean them back slightly, so they don't wobble back and forth inside the case, I don't like that. If it was just a couple guitars, I'd probably lay them flat. Hope I painted a clear picture. Don't have a camera right now, or I'd post a pic. I've always found there is no safer place than the cases. For me anyway. Hope it helps. :)

kjlugo

Reaction score
Eh Not a wise Idea, Friend of mine had his standing one day while I was in the other room recording. Apparently it fell, and when he opened the case, the neck snapped into 2. Boy was he pissed. Having it in the case is wise, but maybe not just standing up.

Standing leaning on the wall should be ok, I make sure my cases are secured from falling.

axepilot

Reaction score
Cant hurt.

I lived in Kathleen for five years....................I hear ya! :D

r9in09

Reaction score
good question... I play my R8 every day but it usually ends up leaning against something by bed time and that's where she stays. Or sometimes in the bed if my gal is out of town.

Latest Threads