Guitar Storage

Wildman

Reaction score
97 Les Paul, good hard shell case. Is it ok to store in case in the basement?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the basement climate like

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
60 to 80 degrees, 30 to 70% non-condensing humidity, should be OK.
If the basement is not climate controlled, I wouldn't store it there.

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
If you don't have room in your closet put it under your bed. I would never store my guitars in a basement or an attic.

rogue3

Reaction score
Climate controlled basement,fine.(insulated a must on the exterior walls, finished,or not).Park a humidity meter and see how it does through the seasons.If its stays within the zone,without wild fluctuations,fine.stable,temp-wise humitdity-wise, in a good zone.30-60, and temp 60- 70. fine. my unfinished basement is home to a lot of amps...and guitar cases,but not guitar,'cept maybe overnight.
I had a previously finished basement.The only issue was winter.so i had to humidify.AC, controlled the summers.I kept lots of guitars down there with no issue.But not my current unfinished basement.

Lots of ifs on this one(basement storage).Just collect the numbers and you'll know what to do.

If an older basement and it smells(damp,musky).absolutely NO!

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
Is there a specific reason you need to store it down there as opposed to somewhere else?

Wildman

Reaction score
Thanks all! Very helpful....especially... DC007 , um not sure your hose is the best place....
I didn’t really have convenient room upstairs. Very helpful responses!

Wildman

Reaction score
Again- thanks for all replies- helpful.
The reason I’m asking is because I have several guitars up to 13 now most are cheapies- but the Les Paul is the real deal. So- I started looking into some of the racks available to store guitars still in their case...
What is anyone’s opinion of this?
Worth the money? What other options are there?
String Swing CC29 Folding Hardwood Guitar Case Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAYQKU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_gh.WFb49NSQTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

kakerlak

Reaction score
Again- thanks for all replies- helpful.
The reason I’m asking is because I have several guitars up to 13 now most are cheapies- but the Les Paul is the real deal. So- I started looking into some of the racks available to store guitars still in their case...
What is anyone’s opinion of this?
Worth the money? What other options are there?
String Swing CC29 Folding Hardwood Guitar Case Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAYQKU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_gh.WFb49NSQTB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I don't see a ton of benefit to that over simply lining up the cases, though I suppose it could cut down on wall/floor scuffs and eliminate the chance of dominos-like falls. Seems like something worth building yourself out of simple lumber, though. The folding aspect isn't really a plus if it's something that will be perpetually out and in use and it'd be pretty simple to frame up something like that that doesn't fold.

Latest Threads