Guitar stolen: need your help

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
When shopping for insurance and mentioning guitars and stuff,
it was suggested that we take an "all-risks" policy at replacement value.
It wasn't a whole lot more expensive so we decided to take it.

If I take a picture while fishing and drop my camera in the water, it's covered.
If I go to some gig and get a guitar stolen or I leave it on the top of the car and drive away (!!!), it's covered.
What I did to balance things out is take a higher deductible amount, which after 5 years with no incidents equals money in my pocket.

Just for the hell of it, "Jinx".
:fingersx:

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bobby, just be careful anytime an agent says all risk. I've seen plenty of policies that say they're all risk or open peril and then in the 40 pages of what's excluded you get a different story. In no way am I saying that what you have is not sufficient, just my experience. I have a thread started in the backstage on insurance I started in case anyone has questions. I don't want to hijack op thread. Hopefully the brothers here can get together and get him his shit back. That'd be a lot better than insurance.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have asked specifically about guitars and stuff upon
revising the coverage, over the years, and I always get the same answer.
It seems clear on paper too but when I get the chance I will go through
the documents again and the fine print (!).

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
P90's small headstock 8K
Large headstock P90's 6500.00

Sorry for your loss bro,thieves suck !! keep a lookout in all local pawn shops and CL...
Post pics so we can get the word out...

geezberry

Reaction score
Bobby, just be careful anytime an agent says all risk. I've seen plenty of policies that say they're all risk or open peril and then in the 40 pages of what's excluded you get a different story. In no way am I saying that what you have is not sufficient, just my experience. I have a thread started in the backstage on insurance I started in case anyone has questions. I don't want to hijack op thread. Hopefully the brothers here can get together and get him his shit back. That'd be a lot better than insurance.

I wanted to inquire about this insurance. I have recently looked for renters insurance. I even bought a policy but cancelled it soon after because the fine print said certain high value items would have limited or no coverage for replacement (not sure the verbiage). Could you recommend a renters insurance plan that would cover my guitars?

As for the OP , i'll look out for your goldtop, im in the midlands.

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Check all pawn shops, put it on Craigslist, call the police and make sure they file it and get paperwork, and I think it would be helpful to put the serial number out there. And, beat the ahole who took it with a rubber hose. Hoping for the best!

carolinaeasy

Reaction score
P90's small headstock 8K
Large headstock P90's 6500.00

Sorry for your loss bro,thieves suck !! keep a lookout in all local pawn shops and CL...
Post pics so we can get the word out...

Thanks man, I'll have to get home to access pics.

carolinaeasy

Reaction score
Check all pawn shops, put it on Craigslist, call the police and make sure they file it and get paperwork, and I think it would be helpful to put the serial number out there. And, beat the ahole who took it with a rubber hose. Hoping for the best!
It was the first thing I asked about after the cop entered my home and confirmed the burglary. It's in the report.

ddh101

Reaction score
You may want to post in the Vintage section also. Most of the "vintage" guys know their stuff, have great eyes and a great network of communication. Good luck.

essay

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss :( Something as unique as your LP will likely turn up at some point, and the Detectives can work it backwards from there. I'm 99% sure they have no idea that they took a 60's LP. They'll try to pawn it or sell it on CL in the very near future for cheap. Just make sure you enter the serial number of the guitar in the police report so it can be entered into NCIC database. Pawnshops are required to hold purchased property for a specific amount of time (30 days here in VA). They are also required to run it through the NCIC (serial number/stolen) database. But beware....

Some (not trying to stereotype here ;) ) pawnshops are shady as hell. If you find your guitar in a pawnshop, guitar store, GC, etc., don't get excited and tell someone that works there. Call the police, and/or the Detective that is working the case. Pawn shops are the place where stolen $hit ends up. They know the risk when they make the purchase, but they are also the ones that take the hit when the police put a "hold" on the item and confiscate it. Their only recourse is to go after the seller/thief, and that's a pretty futile effort. Believe me, they're aware of the game.

And an important side-note....

I'm sure CROTCH's advice on insurance is far better than mine, but it's wise for any other readers of this post to put a rider on their insurance policy for their guitars. A standard homeowners policy won't cover much in the event of a theft like this. I covered all of my guitars a few years ago (I have USAA, and I'm sure the other companies are equivalent). The additional cost is minimal in the big picture. I put my guitars and amps on there for approx 20k coverage for about $120 a year. Well worth it IMHO. I tend to flip a few guitars here and there, but I have never had a problem updating my coverage online, and no questions have ever been asked. If you're a touring/gigging pro, it may be slightly more difficult because it's viewed as a business tool. My biggest fear is theft or fire. I'd never report a claim if I dropped the damn thing and snapped the headstock, but I guess I probably could if I so desired (though I never would).

I can't imagine being in your situation finding that your guitar(s) were stolen. I don't have a bunch of valuable stuff around the house, but if I came home to find all of my guitars and amps were stolen, I'd be devastated. At least I know that I could recoup from my insurance company (and then watch my rates rise enormously :) ).

Sorry if I floated off topic. Best of luck in recovering your belongings. $hithead thieves suck and I sincerely feel for you....

BlueCajun

Reaction score
Personal articles policy is another word for scheduling, yes. Also Inland Marine is another term for scheduling. Scheduling usually takes place when you have something of value such as a ring/jewelry, art, silverware, or even musical instruments. You usually provide the insurance company your receipt, or appraisal depending on the situation and then declare the value for it. If it is lost or stolen it will usually get replaced for the cost of what you declared no questions asked. As far as scheduling musical equipment the only question you may be asked while going through the process is whether or not you are a professional and take your equipment to gigs often. That carries a little higher of a rate than a basement player.
You can have a ton of "Personal Property" on a homeowners, the problem is within the contract you will usually find sublimits for items referenced above, that are very low and inadequate. (Maybe as low as $500) Then on top of that you have your deductible. For instance my deductible is $100 on my scheduled items, and $1000 for my home and personal property. Big difference.

This is really good information. Thank you! I have my wife's wedding ring on a personal articles policy but never thought to get one for my guitars. I'll definitely check with my insurance guy.

To the OP, I'm so sorry about what happened. I would be inconsolable if that happened to me. I'll keep a lookout around the Houston area. I know that's a ways from SC, but stranger things have happened.

Latest Threads