Guitar stinks

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
And leave it out to air out. But don't put it in an attic, like Cozmik suggested, extremes of hot or cold, or humid or dry are bad, m'kay ?

Fair point; being a Buckeye by birth, I know this isn't the time for the back-porch-sitting treatment, so I said attic in case there is no garage. For some reason (probably the focus of most of the posts around here) I was operating on the assumption it is a solid body - and a few weeks in the attic shouldn't hurt. If I'm wrong & it's a semi-hollow, hollow, or acoustic, then of course I would concur with Bill.

Pete M

Reaction score
Take any parts off that are easy to unscrew. Clean it down with naptha and then polish the body and oil the board. For the case I think baking soda works, maybe. There is some trick....give it a search.

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cat pee'd in my guitar case once. I put the guitar in it without knowing and it stayed there for about 2 weeks. Guess my surprise next time I opened it at a band rehearsal. :mad2:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eeeeew your guitar smells like perp

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why does EVERY central booking smell like sour milk and ripe ass? If I were getting collared, I wouldn't automatically smell like perp.

Anyway. Good luck getting that smell out of your guitar.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
The guitar is a japanese LP copy. A CORTEZ bolt on neck but a pretty cool guitar. Case is probably more valuable though lol.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fabreze the case interior, softly rub with a rag and let dry...do it again...let dry... Take some fresh coffee grounds in a tied up coffee filter...toss in case and close it for a couple of days to absorb some lingering odors... The smell of coffee is better'n skank anyway.

If it still smells, do it all again...

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
The whole idea of a guitar stinking is, well, odd. I can understand the case but the guitar itself? It doesn't sound like he even had it that long from your post. What can a person do to a guitar to make it smell? Rub it in the crack of his ass or get a little sack cheese on it?

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Why does EVERY central booking smell like sour milk and ripe ass?

Armpits & buttholes with hashbrowns & maple syrup.. that's what prison smells like anyways..

Seriouly though OP, was does it smell like?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Take any parts off that are easy to unscrew. Clean it down with naptha and then polish the body and oil the board. For the case I think baking soda works, maybe. There is some trick....give it a search.

Yes. For the case: vacuum it. Mist it with water (spray bottle) to just dampen the material. Cover all of the liner with baking soda (get one of those cheap flour sifters at the grocery store). Let it sit for 24 hours or more and then (when everything is absolutely dry), vacuum out all of the baking soda. I guarantee the stink will be gone or I will refund your money (that is the amount you paid for this piece of advice).

Two follow-on thoughts: 1) this is the method that got the spoiled milk smell out of the carpet in one of the cars. So, I know it works on the nastiest stuff. 2) Buy the big box of baking soda. It is cheap and you will want to use it on all sorts of stuff.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The whole idea of a guitar stinking is, well, odd. I can understand the case but the guitar itself? It doesn't sound like he even had it that long from your post. What can a person do to a guitar to make it smell? Rub it in the crack of his ass or get a little sack cheese on it?

I bought a used acoustic and it smelled (around the sound hole) like the guy's GF's perfume for a few months.

parts

Reaction score
Fabreze soaked towel.. Then a cedar sheet inside..

I love the smell of cedar..I get many sheets from cigar buys..use them in my cases for many years..

Latest Threads