Guitar Showdown: Page vs. Townshend

TyrackT71

Reaction score
its an easy one for ME....jimmy page playes the intrument like a f****** god

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
A good point was made about the Marshall thing, and yes, Page does owe a lot to THE WHO for getting those amps developed..BUT, that would be like saying Hendrix wouldn't have been what he was if it wasn't for The Who. And we all know page only played the Marshall live. In the studio he used a variety of amps.

tele52

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to compare to the two. They're both incredible talents. But I think they worked in different directions. I don't think Pete fashions himself a great guitar player, but as a composer I think he's miles beyond Page. And Page is an iconic guitarist and producer. Perhaps my favorite.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
You should make a poll. The winner goes on to the next week and faces off against someone else. Or make it like a March Madness bracket or something like that. Use polls to figure out who wins and advances.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Technically it has to be Page.
But for showmanship and sheer aggressive love of making the music, Townshend has always been the king.
I think Page smokes Townshend in showmanship. I love Pete, but seriously, how hard is it to do windmills or smash a guitar?

River

Reaction score
Page is more into the kind of music I am. The rest is irrelevant. :naughty:

Reaction score
As this is such an apples to oranges comparison, it's hard to say who's better, but I gotta give the nod to Pete.

Page is clearly the better soloist, and his body of work over the years is top-notch, but nobody has ever said more with one thunderous post-windmill power chord than Townshend.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Don't forget all of the session work Page did long before Zep.. He is on a ton of big time songs.. Kinda like Duane Allman and Muscle Shoals.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They both are two different to compare. Both have produced moments of music that make life worth living.

I just put on 'Live at Leeds' again... to hear Pete and the boys do 'My Generation' and 'Magic Bus' ....the breaks which lead to outtakes of 'Amazing Journey/Sparks' are just breathtaking. Pete sucks at single note lead guitar work, but plays his melodies with chords.

I was listening to the LZ BBC sessions on the way to work today. Great moments there too.

Apples and oranges.

Torren61

Reaction score
For me, Townsend loses simply because he smashes guitars. ("Who in the world do they think they are... smashing a perfectly good guitar?")

MCT

Reaction score
I wish I was around these parts during this original thread. Had I been, I would’ve rocked the boat hard for Pete.

First off, he never played into that boring “can’t leave the pentatonic scale” blues-rock paradigm, being a far more original player, coming up with lead bits that he owed to absolutely nobody. Don’t believe me? Go check out Leeds vs SRTS or even HTWWW. Second, tone-wise, his live Hiwatt CP103 sound absolutely smoked Jimmy’s disgusting “swarm of bees” live Marshall tone....never understood the appeal of that sound. Up against Page’s Hiwatt, it’s closer, but Pete still wins, as his tone was the perfect blend of crunch-meets-clean. Again, see the live albums for comparison. And Pete was much better at playing while wasted, for whatever that’s worth (which apparently happened often in the days of yesteryear...see The Who at Charlton ‘74 and Zep’s set Live Aid).

Personally, I find Jimmy Page is one of the most overrated guitarists in rock and roll, which I know is not a popular opinion. But it’s my opinion nonetheless.

Ultimately, none of this matters, but sometimes it’s fun to get hyped about meaningless things.