Guitar Showdown: Page vs. Townshend

Big_dawg

Reaction score
]And Page DIDN"T write some of the greatest songs in rock history? :hmm[/B]:
What's your favorite Townsend solo???::naughty: Page, not even close.
no he didnt he copied a whole load of them - theres a thread on here somewhere with corresponding videos to the songs he 'borrowed'....

Overall musicianship for me goes to townshend..

DRF

Reaction score
Well Page/Zep seems to be the most popular in the guitar world,but a few years ago I saw a program on the Who with old footage of Townsend in his studio..I was severely impressed and enlightend to say the least.

The Who's body of work is huge, on the other hand Zeps is great of course,but I can't help feeling like the radio endlessly spoon feeds lousy songs of theirs.

teemunknee

Reaction score
Everyone knows the showdown OF THE CENTURY is going on in Bridport today

:laugh2::laugh2:

jbrookeiv

Reaction score
Well Page/Zep seems to be the most popular in the guitar world,but a few years ago I saw a program on the Who with old footage of Townsend in his studio..I was severely impressed and enlightend to say the least.

The Who's body of work is huge, on the other hand Zeps is great of course,but I can't help feeling like the radio endlessly spoon feeds lousy songs of theirs.
I couldn't agree with you more. There's a radio station here in South FL (105.9) that plays a ton of Zeppelin stuff, but it's always the SAME songs (Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, etc). Pisses me off, that's why I listen to my iPod in the car!

G. Scott

Reaction score
Jimmy Page is solely responsible for me picking up the guitar. Excellent songwriter and PRODUCER. Great player as well (yes, he was a little sloppy at times, but...)
Scotty.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Zeps is great of course,but I can't help feeling like the radio endlessly spoon feeds lousy songs of theirs.
Those songs arent lousy, their the greatest rock songs ever recorded. That's why they get the most airplay. Did you think they were lousy the first time u heard em? Just remember, everytime you hear a zep song on the radio that you're sick of, somebody out there is hearing it for the first time and their jaw is hittin the floor!:dude:

Mule

Reaction score
In overall musicianship I would have to go with Townshend.He's not the lead player that Page is but in composition and lyrics writing Townshend has him beat. The Who and Zep are two of my favorite bands. Take these two guys out of those bands and who can stand on there own two feet?....Townshend

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
Take these two guys out of those bands and who can stand on there own two feet?....Townshend
Wow, I couldnt disagree more. What has Townshend done besides The Who? Page was already a rich and famous rock star before Zeppelin even existed.

Mule

Reaction score
Townshend has a whole solo career out side of the Who. Several successful solo albums and tours. Could Page ever do a solo show, just him and a guitar? Besides he has no vocal abilities to speak of. On the other hand Townshend can sit down and play and sing an entire show by himself. Townshend also plays keys and several other instruments. The OP asked who was the better overall musician. I'm not knocking Page but as a over all musician I think Townshend is more versed. If the question was, who had written a more iconic riffs, I'd give that to Page!

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Ah, yes.. BUT, Page in the studio is a genius! Townsend can hold his own but Page hs him beat. Plus, Page did write the solo to the greatest rock song of all time..Stairway To Heaven:cool:.

Lurcher

Reaction score
Technically it has to be Page.
But for showmanship and sheer aggressive love of making the music, Townshend has always been the king.

Mule

Reaction score
Ah, yes.. BUT, Page in the studio is a genius! Townsend can hold his own but Page hs him beat. Plus, Page did write the solo to the greatest rock song of all time..Stairway To Heaven:cool:.
What would you consider as an example of Pages genius in the studio?

Whos Next comes to mind for Townshend. His breakthrough work on songs like Baba O-Riley , Goin Mobile and Wont get fooled Again. That whole album is awesome. Then there's Quadriphinia (spelling?) and Who are you.

I think Page has inspired more guitarists than Pete. (though not in my case)

I've always thought the solo on Stairway may be the most iconic rock solos ever!:dude:

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Multi tracking guitars. BTW, Its JUST an opinion....Relax bro. Townshend was very good at multi tracking as well. Page was a little more creative I think. Townsend wins for lyrics...Page for de music. IMO

Mule

Reaction score
Not getting excited, I'm just enjoying a good thread about two of my favorite guitarists. :)

AmazingJourney

Reaction score
Townshend, unlike Page, was NOT the lead guitarist in the band... that was a certain John Entwistle :naughty: Then came Moon.. Pete was much more the rhythm guitar player, second singer and songwriter.

Townshend still writes good music, can in fact SING and continues to grow as a guitar player... compare his skills in the mid 60s to early 70s, early 80s, 2000s... he just gets better and better while Page had his peak in the early 70s and went right downright from then on. Apart from that, they are two completely different guitarists and musicians. But I'd say Townshend. Without him, Page wouldn't be able to play though Marshall's, Hiwatt's, 4x12 cabs... :thumb:
+1, well said!

Jimmy Page is solely responsible for me picking up the guitar. Excellent songwriter and PRODUCER. Great player as well (yes, he was a little sloppy at times, but...)
Scotty.
Very sloppy, Townshend is the one who made me want to pick up a guitar!

In overall musicianship I would have to go with Townshend.He's not the lead player that Page is but in composition and lyrics writing Townshend has him beat. The Who and Zep are two of my favorite bands. Take these two guys out of those bands and who can stand on there own two feet?....Townshend
Agreed! Townshend has some very good solo stuff out there and he's still producing new stuff at 65! Townshend is the better showman and better musican!

Townshend has a whole solo career out side of the Who. Several successful solo albums and tours. Could Page ever do a solo show, just him and a guitar? Besides he has no vocal abilities to speak of. On the other hand Townshend can sit down and play and sing an entire show by himself. Townshend also plays keys and several other instruments. The OP asked who was the better overall musician. I'm not knocking Page but as a over all musician I think Townshend is more versed. If the question was, who had written a more iconic riffs, I'd give that to Page!
+1

Townshend wins this battle hands down, based on the criteria laid down by the OP.