Guitar Showdown: Page vs. Townshend

jbrookeiv

Reaction score
I've got an idea for a fun, weekly thread. I'm calling it a guitar showdown. Every week, I'll post two guitarists from similar genres/styles, and you guys will debate about who's the better guitarist and why.

For me, it'll be a chance to learn more about different guitarists. Support your arguments with videos/audio/pictures to make them even better.

This is NOT just about playing ability, it's about overall musicianship.

This week's showdown:

vs.

jomo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Seriously? No contest, and you know the answer. :hmm:

jbrookeiv

Reaction score
Seriously? No contest, and you know the answer. :hmm:
lol. Honestly, while I am a Page fanatic, Townshead is an extremely impressive musician. He wrote almost all of The Who's stuff, which is incredible. Guitar tone and playing style-wise, Page is the clear winner in my book, but Townshend is still an amazing songwriter.

Asterix

Reaction score
Tough one this as they are two very different types of guitarist. Two of my favourites but for very different reasons.

Can't call it.

hotrat

Reaction score
Tough one this as they are two very different types of guitarist. Two of my favourites but for very different reasons.

Can't call it.
Me neither, both great guitar players and musicians.

Townsend's a great writer and Page has great production skills...

definitely a toughie..:hmm:

badhabit

Reaction score
Me neither, both great guitar players and musicians.

Townsend's a great writer and Page has great production skills...

definitely a toughie..:hmm:
And Page DIDN"T write some of the greatest songs in rock history? :hmm:
What's your favorite Townsend solo???::naughty: Page, not even close.

hotrat

Reaction score
And Page DIDN"T write some of the greatest songs in rock history? :hmm:
What's your favorite Townsend solo???::naughty: Page, not even close.
I'm not saying he didn't, your missing the point..the OP is asking who we think is, the overall better musician, so as far as musicianship goes, then I say it's a very close call and a difficult one to answer...but it's all good.

Emiel

Reaction score
Townshend, unlike Page, was NOT the lead guitarist in the band... that was a certain John Entwistle :naughty: Then came Moon.. Pete was much more the rhythm guitar player, second singer and songwriter.

Townshend still writes good music, can in fact SING and continues to grow as a guitar player... compare his skills in the mid 60s to early 70s, early 80s, 2000s... he just gets better and better while Page had his peak in the early 70s and went right downright from then on. Apart from that, they are two completely different guitarists and musicians. But I'd say Townshend. Without him, Page wouldn't be able to play though Marshall's, Hiwatt's, 4x12 cabs... :thumb:

hotrat

Reaction score
Townshend, unlike Page, was NOT the lead guitarist in the band... that was a certain John Entwistle :naughty: Then came Moon.. Pete was much more the rhythm guitar player, second singer and songwriter.

Townshend still writes good music, can in fact SING and continues to grow as a guitar player... compare his skills in the mid 60s to early 70s, early 80s, 2000s... he just gets better and better while Page had his peak in the early 70s and went right downright from then on. Apart from that, they are two completely different guitarists and musicians. But I'd say Townshend. Without him, Page wouldn't be able to play though Marshall's, Hiwatt's, 4x12 cabs... :thumb:
Well said..Townsend IS a great composer, listen to the album Quadrophenia to see what I'm talking about, and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs here btw :laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutWuAggUzQ&feature=related]YouTube - QUADROPHENIA- Love, Reign O'er Me (W/ Lyrics!) Pt. 10[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pahVyVN4fg0&feature=related]YouTube - QUADROPHENIA- The Rock (W/ Lyrics!) Pt. 9[/ame]

jbrookeiv

Reaction score
Well said..Townsend IS a great composer, listen to the album Quadrophenia to see what I'm talking about, and I don't want to sound like I'm trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs here btw :laugh2:

YouTube - QUADROPHENIA- Love, Reign O'er Me (W/ Lyrics!) Pt. 10

YouTube - QUADROPHENIA- The Rock (W/ Lyrics!) Pt. 9
Quadrophenia is an amazing album, in fact it's my favorite The Who album. To me, I think it's a toss up. I like Zeppelin better than The Who, and I like Page's playing better, but Townshend's song writing skills are second to none.

Anyone in here seem Amazing Journey? If not, check it out, especially if you are a The Who fan. It provides a lot of insight into the band and what inspired them to play.

"Sunny"

Reaction score
page is easily a better guitarist but townshend is a much better song writer and he also playes many other instruments so he greatness is spread while page is centered on one

Asterix

Reaction score
In the great traditions of research - I had a Page/Townsend musical deathmatch on the iPod earlier and I still can't seperate them. They're just 2 very different guitarists/misicians. I was loving the complexity of Page's playing but stomping my foot to Townsend's.

Enjoyed the music both equally.

jon1

Reaction score
As others have said, they are very different. Page wins at lead guitar, but few can come close to Townshend's rhythm playing. Townshend also wins in the category of song writing, and his playing has a certain explosiveness that page doesnt.

Tuya Customs

Reaction score
I think Pete opened the door for page. Very interesting series of threads. I'd like to see an albert king, freddie king match up :thumb:

rullian

Reaction score
Page for me. I just prefer his writing/producing/arranging/lead playing over Townsend's. As a suggestion for some other time, it would be interesting to see how people feel about the backbone for a lot of great lead players: the rhythm guitarist. Malcom Young and Izzy Stradlin for example - two guys who are overshadowed by their lead counterparts but who play a vital role in the band's sound.

jbrookeiv

Reaction score
Page for me. I just prefer his writing/producing/arranging/lead playing over Townsend's. As a suggestion for some other time, it would be interesting to see how people feel about the backbone for a lot of great lead players: the rhythm guitarist. Malcom Young and Izzy Stradlin for example - two guys who are overshadowed by their lead counterparts but who play a vital role in the band's sound.
Noted for future reference.