Guitar Pots - Linear & Logarithmic - Volume & Tone...

Kenni

Reaction score
Hi :)

I get mixed opinions, regarding guitar pots, and whether it's Linear for tone and Logarithmic for volume..
What's the play here?
I'm going to re-wire my Telecaster, using 250K Mini Pots, but I can only see Logarithmic pots - would that do for the tone pot as well?

Thanks.

jlee

Reaction score
Depends on how you use your controls and what you want to hear. Linear taper pots are more even across the taper from 1-10. You’ll get a faster, more abrupt change with logarithmic/audio taper pots.
Audio taper are generally used in volume and linear in tone controls.
I hate linear taper pots in the volume control. I need the faster clean up of audio taper. I’m not as picky about the tone controls. It’s usually all the way up, halfway or all the way rolled off.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
For the volume, the question is really if you are going to use all of the lower range volumes. Most people will not, you set your amp and use your guitar on full blast and then roll it back a bit for clarity, softer passages, etc. For that use, logarithmic is better for most players because you can get that change by rolling from 10 down to only 9 or 8, whereas with linear you might have to roll all the way down to 5 or wherever. But it's all personal preference.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I'm the exception. I prefer the linear for volume and audio for tone. I set up with guitar volume around 6 and use my controls.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I think most players (around here particularly) who ride the volume pot for finessing amp distortion prefer what you do.
Its usually only the 'volume swell' type player who goes for the abrupt change.

tjdjr1

Reaction score
I like bad565ss run linear pots on my volumes, but only on the bridge pickup. I run audio on the neck with a treble bleed. I really like the combo set up in my 5 Gibbys...

Latest Threads