Guitar pick building

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I've thought about trying this. Seems like it would be fun and not to hard. Anyways any ideas about how to go about doing it?

jkes01

Reaction score
What types of materials you are you thinking about using?

Murkar

Reaction score
I usually make wooden ones from my scraps of rosewood etc. that are not big enough for anything else :) I just do it w/ the belt sander and then throw them on the buffing wheel, that's one way you can do it :)

EDIT: Also just came across w/ google, check it out :) http://www.pickpunch.com/ Anyone ever used one before?

Funhouse42

Reaction score
I usually make wooden ones from my scraps of rosewood etc. that are not big enough for anything else :) I just do it w/ the belt sander and then throw them on the buffing wheel, that's one way you can do it :)

EDIT: Also just came across w/ google, check it out :) PICK PUNCH Make your own guitar picks! Anyone ever used one before?
Not personally. But I have known people who have. It's a fun way to get some custom stuff. Use an old credit card or gift card that's the thickness you want. Can't do metal from what I understand (although I am not certain on that). And doing any more than a few at a time will have your hands and wrists begging for mercy. You can look online for other things to use. One I heard of was to use that thin stiff plastic from product packaging (the stuff that's a pain to open, and you have to cut the hell out of it). Use clear glue to sandwich an image you want (comic page, photo, etc), between the plastic. Then punch it out. Blam! Custom picks. The edges (no matter the material) are also always rough. Need to be filed down with an emery board or something similar.

Barnaby

Reaction score
I've done a bunch of picks in different woods and from acrylic. It's not hard to do, even with basic hand tools.

Here's one made from an ebony fingerboard offcut (with the board too):

Here's a series of cocobolo and macassar picks of different widths:

Some acrylic picks (before final finishing):

They're great to do! :thumb:

zontar

Reaction score
Some cool things on the Google search and here--the closest I come to making picks is using two existing picks and making double picks.

Roman

Master Luthier V.I.P.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've built many, and out of many materials. Stone, bone, wood, copper etc.
Usually they end up getting given away as gifts, so I never hang on to them too long.

They are very easy and rewarding to make, and make excellent use of left over scraps.
:thumb:

My favorites... the ones that have been keepers for me, are picks I make out of cymbals. my favorites are made from Zildjan and Paiste. After a night of gigging, they tend to turn your fingers a bit green from the copper content in the brass, but they don't slip and you get a lot of different tonal variations out of them once used to the picks.

Unlike a guitar, it's virtually impossible to mess up a pick you make, and they are a lot of fun to build.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the ideas. I will have to try making some today.

I tried making one with a dremel tool to no success but I will try again.

I'm probably going to use wood scraps from my build( pine and mahogany)

Barnaby

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the ideas. I will have to try making some today.

I tried making one with a dremel tool to no success but I will try again.

I'm probably going to use wood scraps from my build( pine and mahogany)
Pine would possibly be too soft, but mahogany should be OK if you pay careful attention to the grain direction.

Get one of those metal Fender picks and use it as your template. Attach it to your blank (around 3 mm) with double-sided tape and sand or Dremel away all the wood that is outside it. From there, shape your tip by hand, round off the edges and, if you want, put in a hollow for the thumb any way you can (I used a sharp gouge and sandpaper, but imagine a Dremel would be easier).

Good luck! :fingersx:

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks Barnaby. The pine one I tried to make yesterday was kinda soft but I think it might work.

Latest Threads